Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

I Was Border Patrol: Here's The Reason Agents Should Refuse To Police Protesters

Message 1 of 1
Jenn Budd Portland Black Lives Matter protesters knew federal agents were a bad idea. Then it got worse.
I was once a Border Patrol agent myself, and I urge my former colleagues to refuse to comply with orders to police demonstrators.

July 31, 2020, 4:21 PM CDT
By Jenn Budd, former senior patrol agent and intelligence agent with the U.S. Border Patrol

Under the guise of protecting federal property, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement were among the federal agencies deployed in Operation Diligent Valor in Portland until the end of the month, per President Donald Trump’s executive order to secure a federal courthouse that had been vandalized by graffiti and otherwise damaged by protesters.

The use of ICE and CBP, of which the Border Patrol is a part, to guard federal buildings and conduct crowd control is a clear misuse of their authorities and outside their mission to secure the border. Yet, even though the federal government should never have deployed these agents in this way, there are reports that the Trump administration might be gearing up to (mis)use them again in other American cities, apparently having learned nothing from what happened in Portland.

The use of CBP, ICE and Border Patrol agents for domestic policing is particularly dangerous because of the ways immigration and customs officers can skirt the Constitution.

I was once a Border Patrol agent myself, and I urge my former colleagues to refuse to comply with these problematic orders rather than be complicit in the threat to the rule of law that they pose. We took an oath to do a different job entirely, and if the president can’t be counted on to use these agencies appropriately, agents themselves must do it for him.

Several types of federal law enforcement were dispatched to Portland, but the use of CBP, ICE and Border Patrol agents for domestic policing is particularly dangerous because of the ways immigration and customs officers can skirt the Constitution.

MORE At Link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/portland-black-lives-matter-protesters-knew-federal-agents-wer...

Only Thing Man Learns From History Is Man Learns Nothing From History
Report Inappropriate Content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors