Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I Ignored Trump News for a Week. Here’s What I Learned.

Message 1 of 7

@nyadrn wrote:

"Trump’s fame may break all records.

All presidents are omnipresent. But it is likely that no living person in history has ever been as famous as Mr. Trump is right now. It’s possible that not even the most famous or infamous people of the recent or distant past — say, Barack Obama, Osama bin Laden, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, Michael Jackson, Muhammad Ali or Adolf Hitler — dominated media as thoroughly at their peak as Mr. Trump does now."

The baddest man of all?  or  the greatest gift to the media ever given?

Honest Reasonable People should also take a unbiased look at the Media Coverage - it will make you sick angry and even more cynical about the Main Stream Media

It's obvious the Main Street Media is no longer motivated by the Truth or Investigative Journalism

They either spend an extraordiary amount of time trying to make Trump look even worse then he is or vice-versa - people like Lawrence Odonnell is over the top on the stuff he tries to make stick

Like Trump all they care about is making money - during the Presidential Campaign my wife and Iearned to read books again because we could not stomach the 24/7 coverage of everything Trump

I kept saying just a few more months and it will be over - either he wins or losers but either way the US Media will start reporting again on the US President only when their something extremely newsworthy just like they did with Obama

We didn't hear 24/7 what Obama was doing or saying everyday for the last 8 years

We heard news about important issues facing the Country not just the President or Politics - Special Reports about Weather Science Sports Education - Important International Events - Iraq - Syria - Afghanistan - Medicine - Safety Recalls -

Trump sells more than all these other things because you either Love or Hate Him Unconditionally

The problem is - there are so many Important issues our Government should actually be - Working On - including Trump - again the Congress has done nothing for two months and nothing Trump has done has improved the lives of any American in the Middle Class in any measurable or meaningful way 

It's all about Entertainment and to have our Government operating this way is dangerous - one major crisis and we might not revover for decades because neither Trump The Congress or the Media is prepared

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Trump has received more press than all others because he is a narcissist who does everything and everything he can  to call attention to himself--he creates chaos, denies there is chaos, and then blames the press, and/or whoever or whatever is available, which allows the chaos to spread and grow.  Twenty-four hour news cycles and a computer in everyone's pocket, certainly adds to this.

FEAR amonst those in this country who aren't in denial as to the authoritarian path our country is taking also adds to the constant obsession with the fool in the WH.  I have to force myself to leave my cell phone at home so that I can have a break away from this.  I have always been a political junkie--I was six when Kennedy was elected, and I remember that I was the kid in my family who told my parents!!!--but I have never been this glued to media--OUR COUNTRY'S FUTURE, ITS REPUTATION THROUGHOUT THE WORLD, AND OUR FREEDOMS ARE AT STAKE--and trump knows that is the fear of many, and he knows people are watching his every move, and he IS LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Ah, I wish I could do that.  We went to Colorado Springs for vacation last August, and it was sooooo different from DC.   Nobody cared much about politics.   I saw one Bernie bumper sticker, and that was it.   One Trump yard sign.   You can't walk or drive in DC (really the whole DMV) without having a political message shouted at you from car, T shirt, or yard.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

"But Mr. Trump is likely to be president for at least the next four years. And it’s probably not a good idea for just about all of our news to be focused on a single subject for that long."

I disagree.  One year max as prez because the GOP need to have one year to repair/regroup.  This "single subject" is too dangerous to let our focus stray for more than a minute.

The 25th Amendment may need to assist in determining how bad/insane he truly is.  I'm glad the media is standing up for their/our rights despite his continued his hatred of them.  Should they not be reporting on the Town Hall events?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Very interesting.  I haven't deliberately done that to see IF there would be something important I missed because I did that or to evaluate the media practices which is what I guess you did.  From passing observation...nothing more...what you saw and took away from it is pretty much the same as what I saw and took away. 

I expect a more thorough analysis of the whole phenomena back to his announcing his candidacy is needed and perhaps is in the hopper for grinding up...we may get statistics and charts and comparisons shortly...I suppose it will matter for something, but that's another topic. 

We are where we are and we got what we got.  For more people than I like to think it true, it appears that what we got is what they wished for as well.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

"Trump’s fame may break all records.

All presidents are omnipresent. But it is likely that no living person in history has ever been as famous as Mr. Trump is right now. It’s possible that not even the most famous or infamous people of the recent or distant past — say, Barack Obama, Osama bin Laden, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, Michael Jackson, Muhammad Ali or Adolf Hitler — dominated media as thoroughly at their peak as Mr. Trump does now."

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

I Ignored Trump News for a Week. Here’s What I Learned.

Message 7 of 7

I Ignored Trump News for a Week. Here’s What I Learned.

I spent last week ignoring President Trump. Although I am ordinarily a politics junkie, I didn’t read, watch or listen to a single story about anything having to do with our 45th president.

>>

My point: I wanted to see what I could learn about the modern news media by looking at how thoroughly Mr. Trump had subsumed it. In one way, my experiment failed: I could find almost no Trump-free part of the press.

But as the week wore on, I discovered several truths about our digital media ecosystem. Coverage of Mr. Trump may eclipse that of any single human being ever. The reasons have as much to do with him as the way social media amplifies every big story until it swallows the world. And as important as covering the president may be, I began to wonder if we were overdosing on Trump news, to the exclusion of everything else.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/technology/trump-news-media-ignore.html?_r=0

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors