Honored Social Butterfly

Humans wiping out wildlife at unprecedented rate according to WWF.

No surprise to me at all as one who reads everything I can about climate change, even though it can be flat out depressing. Throw in fires, and consider as I type this there are wildfires all around me in Eastern Washington, and then you add the huge fires in Oregon, and California is going through its worst fire season EVER. Many of these fires are due to prolonged drought, caused by climate change.

We need new leadership at the Presidential, asap......

wildlife being wiped out. 

and consider this: if you think things are bad this year, we have seen NOTHING yet according to Scientists.

The worst is yet to come. 

Biden/Harris 2020 because Earth can't wait for change!

Honored Social Butterfly

How hard can this be, even if he has zero interest in the mass destruction?

"My thoughts are with the good people of Oregon/California/Washington.  Such a terrible, needless tragedy.   The federal government will provide any and all assistance we can to the states who are suffering right now."

Or whatever.   So simple.   

Honored Social Butterfly

Meanwhile, Donald has redirected FEMA funds to give money to the States, not people in March.  

What the FAR RIGHT doesn't know and doesn't care is that the southern part of Oregon is quite "red".  Small towns ( size about 6K population) are reportedly burnt to the ground.  

Once again the plan ahead guy in the WH is failing, even his own supporters.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 

Why? He doesn’t care. He denies that climate change is taking place. And he has done everything he can to eliminate 

programs to protect the climate. 
And what it really shows is his total disregard for the World that we will leave to the Youth of today. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The left doesn't want to clean up the forest floors from debris so they catch fire and create more CO2, the left want more solar panels and wind turbines and not fossil fuels yet in California where they have fires (from wind and their own fault) the solar panels are not working because of the smoke, the wind is not blowing where they have wind turbines and they must buy expensive power from states close by to meet their needs at very expensive costs and rolling blackouts are a daily occurrence.  This will be a wake up call for the rest of the country if you try to change the climate and try is the best you can get!

Say no to Joe and say no to the Green New Deal (bankruptcy)!

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

nothappening<

What "factual" website gave you those pearls of wisdom?

Cleaning up the forest floors would help, but dead trees caused by long-term drought are going to catch on fire, no matter what.

Where I live right now, the sky is darker due to the smoke and the smell of smoke is pretty strong.  Guess what, my solar panels are working just fine.

What makes you think the wind is not blowing where the turbines are?  Coupled with the fact that the fires are spreading faster due to the wind, that is simply a ridiculously illogical statement.  Rolling blackouts are usually caused by high wind events where they start shutting off power lines so that a downed line will not cause a fire.  Personally, the last blackout in my area was almost a year ago and that was caused by a car running into a main power line in my area.

The "green new deal" that you rail on about, are simply suggestions on what needs to be done.  Maybe you want to take a closer look at the cost of mitigating the effects of climate change vs the costs of changing our reliance on fossil fuel resources resources, especially the dirtiest ones.  If you take a logical (I realize that is hard for you) look at it, it is quite apparent that continuing down the same path will cost us more in the long run.

Honored Social Butterfly

what is Trump's plan for climate change????
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

what is Trump's plan for climate change????

I don't really know.  Since the Climate cannot really be "changed", I doubt he has any plan.  The climate has changed for many thousands of years.  I remember when the left was saying we were going to have another Ice Age some years ago.  That never happened.  You can do all you want but never change the climate or you can claim it improved the climate but you really did nothing.  I'm not saying that it doesn't pay to gradually phase out fossil fuels after they become too costly because it adds CO2 to the atmosphere.

BTW, I just read a document which converts CO2 gas (bad stuff) into alcohol.  Read about it:

Say no to Green New Deal and Sleepy Joe!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

man has sped up the speed of climate change due to the buildup of greenhouse gases, so your wrong. And as I said before if we continue to ignore the cleanup costs then you had better plan on shelling up to pay for the damage BIG TIME as in the hundreds of BILLIONS then into the TRILLIONS. So then the question becomes when do you want to pay, now, which I prefer, to get us away from fossil fuels, or later, when the cost is unaffordable.
0 Kudos

nothappening,

Again, where did you get that?

The left and the scientists never said we were going to have another ice age.  Most of the reporting on that was a "what if" scenario used to sell papers and magazines.

Honored Social Butterfly

Here is what YOU said:  The left and the scientists never said we were going to have another ice age.

Climate science is not going to change because you or any Climate  scientist say it's going to change.  It's constantly changing and now the trend is warmer.  You think that the climate can change (cooler) if you don't burn the forest fires in YOUR state creating all that CO2?  Good forest management will help but won't change the climate!  Don't worry too much about it since Trump is going to win the next election and you can come back begging for less CO2 next election.  Trump knows burning money won't fix the Climate also!

Say no to Sleepy Joe and BLM cult!

0 Kudos

Nothappening:

As usual you keep editing, my final line "Most of the reporting on that was a "what if" scenario used to sell papers and magazines."

Scientists were still studying it, conclusions were not reached as to where the data was pointing.  That is called basic science.  In other words, "I think something is happening, so let's study the data and come up with some experiments for proof".  After the data is studied then it is decided if your original assumption was correct or incorrect.

Also, WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF LEFT?  Just because somebody doesn't agree with you doesn't automatically put them on the left!  You're trying paint climate change as some kind of leftist plot which is ridiculous and shows a lack of critical thinking ability.

Honored Social Butterfly

You're trying paint climate change as some kind of leftist plot which is ridiculous and shows a lack of critical thinking ability.

I'm not telling you something you don't know already!  The Climate is changing in cycles sometimes hotter, sometimes cooler.  If you don't know that already, it shows a lack of your critical thinking ability.  If you think you are going to change it, start at home by cleaning up the litter you have in the forest so the arsonists and lightning can't set it on fire emitting so much CO2 that it does affect climate!

Say no to Joe and the BLM cult!

0 Kudos

Nothappening wrote:

"I'm not telling you something you don't know already!  The Climate is changing in cycles sometimes hotter, sometimes cooler.  If you don't know that already, it shows a lack of your critical thinking ability.  If you think you are going to change it, start at home by cleaning up the litter you have in the forest so the arsonists and lightning can't set it on fire emitting so much CO2 that it does affect climate!"

And that argument is ridiculous.  The climate is changing TOO FAST to be a natural cycle.  People who claiming that are just trying to deflect from the actual science.

"The climate of the Earth has always changed, but the study of palaeoclimatology or “past climates” shows us that the changes in the last 150 years – since the start of the industrial revolution – have been exceptional and cannot be natural. Modelling results suggest that future predicted warming could be unprecedented compared to the previous 5m years.

A study using 700 climate records showed that, over the last 2,000 years, the only time the climate all around the World has changed at the same time and in the same direction has been in the last 150 years, when over 98% of the surface of the planet has warmed."

https://theconversation.com/five-climate-change-science-misconceptions-debunked-122570

The forest clean-up argument is mostly BS.  Who owns the majority of the forest land in the west?  IT IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (you know NATIONAL forest).  If that is true, then why doesn't the Federal Government clean it up.

As I said before, the problem is the extended drought and trees dying.  A lot of the fires start as brush fires, grass which grows yearly when it rains drys and becomes flammable during the year.  Are you suggesting that the forests should be mowed and irrigated?

The one thing you are correct about is the LIGHTNING (natural) has caused most of the fires.  The dying trees easily catch fire and expand the problem.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sp - I see you have your mind made up already, so my recommendation would be to vote for Joe Biden and he will carry your mission out if elected.  I don't think he stands a chance of being elected so you may have to wait 4 more years until your mission is accomplished!

Say no to Sleepy Joe and BLM cult!

0 Kudos

Nothappening,

So you have no response to speed of change?  You seem to have your mind made up already.  Explain to me how the Earth could suddenly start warming at this faster rate when there have not been no catastrophic events (meteorite hit, major volcanic activity, etc) and you will convince me that it is all natural.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Again, where did you get that?

The left and the scientists never said we were going to have another ice age.

Wrong as usual!

In the thirty years leading up to the 1970s, available temperature recordings suggested that there was a cooling trend. As a result some scientists suggested that the current inter-glacial period could rapidly draw to a close, which might result in the Earth plunging into a new ice age over the next few centuries. This idea could have been reinforced by the knowledge that the smog that climatologists call ‘aerosols’ – emitted by human activities into the atmosphere – also caused cooling. In fact, as temperature recording has improved in coverage, it’s become apparent that the cooling trend was most pronounced in northern land areas and that global temperature trends were in fact relatively steady during the period prior to 1970.

0 Kudos

Nothappening posted (as a question to where he got the facts for posting about scientists predicting a coming ice age:

"In the thirty years leading up to the 1970s, available temperature recordings suggested that there was a cooling trend. As a result some scientists suggested that the current inter-glacial period could rapidly draw to a close, which might result in the Earth plunging into a new ice age over the next few centuries. This idea could have been reinforced by the knowledge that the smog that climatologists call ‘aerosols’ – emitted by human activities into the atmosphere – also caused cooling. In fact, as temperature recording has improved in coverage, it’s become apparent that the cooling trend was most pronounced in northern land areas and that global temperature trends were in fact relatively steady during the period prior to 1970."

You left out the rest of the analysis that you got this from:

"The fact is that around 1970 there were 6 times as many scientists predicting a warming rather than a cooling planet. Today, with 30+years more data to analyse, we've reached a clear scientific consensus: 97% of working climate scientists agree with the view that human beings are causing global warming."

https://www.skepticalscience.com/ice-age-predictions-in-1970s.htm

It looks like the 10% who predicted a cooling trend were wrong, just like the 3% (actually less) who say there is NOT a warming trend are wrong.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Modern doomsayers have been predicting climate and environmental disaster since the 1960s. They continue to do so today. None of the apocalyptic predictions with due dates as of today have come true. What follows is a collection of notably wild predictions from notable people in government and science.

For more than 50 years Climate Alarmists in the scientific community and environmental movement have not gotten even one prediction correct, but they do have a perfect record of getting 41 predictions wrong. In other words, on at least 41 occasions, these so-called experts have predicted some terrible environmental catastrophe was imminent … and it never happened. And not once — not even once! — have these alarmists had one of their predictions come true.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-years-of-failed-doomsday-eco-pocalyptic-predictions-the-so-called-...

0 Kudos

Nothappening wrote:

Modern doomsayers have been predicting climate and environmental disaster since the 1960s. They continue to do so today. None of the apocalyptic predictions with due dates as of today have come true. What follows is a collection of notably wild predictions from notable people in government and science.

For more than 50 years Climate Alarmists in the scientific community and environmental movement have not gotten even one prediction correct, but they do have a perfect record of getting 41 predictions wrong. In other words, on at least 41 occasions, these so-called experts have predicted some terrible environmental catastrophe was imminent … and it never happened. And not once — not even once! — have these alarmists had one of their predictions come true.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/50-years-of-failed-doomsday-eco-pocalyptic-predictions-the-so-called-...

Since NO scientist has ever said that something will happen by a certain date, maybe you need to start reading the actual scientific discussions, not the headlines and understand who is saying what.

BTW,  last I checked Mark Perry was an economist and has never studied climate change.  In fact, there are other economists who say that Perry's analysis uses faulty data.  Maybe he needs to stick to what he is qualified to talk about.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png