Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How many Senior Deaths after oupatient medical procedures?

Message 1 of 22

I am surprised that the most ageism responses that I have read are on an AARP Online Community!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

My response to this post disappeared so I am posting this separately with my responses.
Centristsin2010 wrote.
How many senior citizens are dying at home after outpatient medical procedures????
I don't know, do you?
Nobody knows! That is the point of my post...Deaths and harm after outpatient procedures are not counted, tracked, reported, etc.

The deaths after procedures in outpatient clinics, ambulatory surgery center, pain clinics, doctors offices etc are NOT COUNTED, NOT REPORTED, NOT TRACKED
..How do you know this?
Alot of research!

and due to ageism bias "they would have died soon anyway"....

Medical Examiners are NOT doing autopsies on the elderly....
the family CAN request one and pay for it themselves.
Families may not know that they may request an autopsy and may not think of doing so while they are recovering from the shock. In case of cremation the family may not think of an autopsy until it is too late. Law enforcement should do fatality investigations, request autopsies and Medical Examiners should do autopsies where deaths occur under unexpalined or suspicious circumstances.

and fatality investigations are NOT being done by law enforcement!!
Do you want the over-burdened law-enforcement agencies (due to tax cuts) investigating these cases? Was a crime committed?
Senior citizens lives matter!!! YES, I do want law enforcement agencies to investigate unexplained deaths of the elderly and others under these and other "suspcious" circumstances! The deaths MUST be investigated thoroughly to raise awarness and hopefully implement corrective actions to stop these unecessary deaths and harm!

There is a pandemic of elderly/senior citizen deaths at home caused by, hastened or contributed to by the greedy outpatient medical systems in the USA....
That's quite an accusation. Did you know outpatient services are done outpatient to save money??? Most can be done safely on an outpatient basis. Can complications occur? Of course. Can they cause death? Of course. Are we, as a society willing to pay for all of these services to be done in an inpatient setting? Obviously not.
Are you associated with the medical providers or the medical system or with health insurance companies? Are you playing devils advocate??
Yes, I am willing to pay for all these services to be done in a safe way such that the patients' welfare is top priority! Why do you say "obviously not"? Many of the safety precautions are not costly to implement and many safety precautions are already required/recommended but NOT being implemented due to greed, negligent providers who simply cover up their negligence!
Soo are you advocating the continuation of letting patients die and be harmed by the Medical system in the USA.. especially the elderly in order to "save money" for the taxpayers...When you say save the taxpayers money are you referring to Medicare? Are you aware that senior citizens and the elderly have paid and paid and paid into Medicare for many many years such that they have already paid for their medical costs and still pay premiums, copays etc..?? Are you aware that children and family of senior citzens/elderly are still paying into Medicare (are taxpayers) who want their loved ones to receive high quality medical care.. that they want them to live and not die?

and the deaths are not even being recognized as such!!
We didn't know how many people police killed each year until 2015....that provides some perspective.
How do you know this?

Profit and money as the priority rather than quality!!
Of course! Did you expect any differently? Why? A patient can choose to go to the hospital for a procedure if they want AND can pay for it themselves. Do you expect the tax-payer to pay for it? Why?
Of course I expect differently!!
Medical costs in the USA is among the highest in the world and the medical systems should provide quality that does not kill and harm patients. Why do you think the taxpayers are paying? Why do you think the patients are not paying with their own money? The "First Do No Harm" people should practice medicine in acordance with their oath!
This is life threatening for senior citizens and NOTHING is being done to stop it because the threat is not even being recognized!!!
Actually it has been recognized for some time......sounds like it just crossed your radar screen though.
Actually, I have only somewhat recently become aware of how widespread this pandemic is.
Very scary for seniors and those who love them!!
It's reality....it's often scary.
Is this a reality that you think is acceptable.. "For the medical system in the USA to kill and maim carte blanche for profit with no accountability"!?? Apparently so.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22

afisher,  An older article to check out!!

Medicare Patients: Harmed By Unreported Hospital Errors, Report Finds

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22

Olderscout,  In my opinion based on my observations and research BOTH political parties.. Both Republicans and Democrats in CONGRESS have FAILED to ensure that patients are NOT being killed and harmed by our greedy medical system here in the USA!  just imo!!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22

afisher,    Great article!  Everyone needs to read this!  Thank you for sharing this good info! 

However, the article says MORE THAN 260!! I am pretty certain that there are alot more deaths than 260 IF ALL deaths from all outpatient, ambulatory centers, clinics, pain clinics, cosmetic clinics, doctors offices etc were counted...AND ALL are definitely NOT counted, reported, etc,,,Please also note that some sorces are saying that the Medical system in the USA is the THIRD cause of death.. and that third estimate does NOT include deaths from outpatient,  ambulatory centers, clinics, pain clinics, cosmetic clinics, doctors offices etc !!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22

Incidental article from March 2018.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/02/medicare-certified-surgery-centers-safety-deaths/3631...

As tragic as each case will be, the number in the article is small.   260 in 5 years.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

The deaths are caused by elected Republicans who insist we treat Americans' health as a commodity to be bought and sold on the open market.

Since one side controls the supply and you cannot go "comparison shopping" when your kid's appendix bursts, or you're in a serious accident, there is NO remote connection between health care and any other market based system.

Step one is get rid of the elected Republicans.

Step two is provide ALL Americans with health care in a controlled market just like every other civilized Nation on earth, but you can only take step two AFTER you take step one.

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER

Take the gun out of the hands of the idiot infant they scammed into POTUS.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

umbarch,   Thank for your response and the info!      The point of my question is that there is no data!  The data is NOT being counted, collected, reported such that many patients', their families, and the public is not aware of the risks and NOT fully informed...they should be!!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@peachykeen8 wrote:

umbarch, Thank for your response and the info!      The point of my question is that there is no data!  The data is NOT being counted, collected, reported such that many patients', their families, and the public is not aware of the risks and NOT fully informed...they should be!!

Your mistaken Peachy; there is data.  In fact, the data collection is a requirement.  CMS has tracked it for years:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/HospitalQualityInits...

It's also recommended patients and/or their families ask their healthcare practitioners.         Centristsin   The reference and data that you quote herein is ONLY for hospitals! I have found NO counting, reporting, tracking, etc of outpatient, clinics, ambulatory centers, doctors offices, etc  Patients may be harmed during the procedures with the harm either not detected (they are in a hurry.. assembly line with profit priority not quality) or ignored (they'll die soon anyway  the elderly),, Patients are sent home without being fully informed of aftercare, not told of what to be vigilant for, not told what to do if they get worse..then they may worsen and in the case of the elderly die at home alone!  Some elderly (& their families) are not able to ask the questions for information that they should be given and that the "First, do no harm" providers should ensure that the patients fully understand both before and after!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

Yes The reference you cite was part of my research!   The patients are often sent home where they continue to decline with no medical supervision. (and in case of the elderly often alone). Sometimes harm has been done during the procedure(s) that is either not detected or ignored. Patients and families not informed of the potential risks, not told what to be vigilant for, and or what to do if they get worse.  In some cases they die at home such that the actual cause is not detected..In some, there is harm but the patient survives, the medical providers are often in denial (many various forms of denial)!  thank you for your input!

Kudos
Views