Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How many Senior Deaths after oupatient medical procedures?

Message 11 of 22

From the CMS manaual:

Ambulatory Surgery Centers

This page provides basic information about being certified as a Medicare and/or Medicaid Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) supplier and includes links to applicable laws, regulations, and compliance information. See link to 42 CFR Part 416 below to the ASC conditions for coverage that went into effect on May 18, 2009.

• An ASC must be certified and approved to enter into a written agreement with CMS. Participation as an ASC is limited to any distinct entity that operates exclusively for the purpose of providing surgical services to patients not requiring hospitalization and in which the expected duration of services would not exceed 24 hours following an admission. An unanticipated medical circumstance may arise that would require an ASC patient to stay in the ASC longer than 24 hours, but such situations should be rare.

Point being, someone is assessing the patients condition and determining the patient does NOT need to be hospitalized.  And who would that be?

BTW....you are correct, there isn't much info available.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 22

@peachykeen8 wrote:

umbarch, Thank for your response and the info!      The point of my question is that there is no data!  The data is NOT being counted, collected, reported such that many patients', their families, and the public is not aware of the risks and NOT fully informed...they should be!!

Your mistaken Peachy; there is data.  In fact, the data collection is a requirement.  CMS has tracked it for years:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/HospitalQualityInits...

It's also recommended patients and/or their families ask their healthcare practitioners.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 22

social butterfly, good for you!! Have you checked out the COLOGARD at home test?  Medicare covers it!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 22

Thank for your response and the info!      The point of my question is that there is no data!  The data is NOT being counted, collected, reported such that many patients', their families, and the public is not aware of the risks and NOT fully informed...they should be!!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 22

rker321,  In some cases they have killed people and are still doing so because the deaths and harm is not being counted, reported, etc such that the public and patients are NOT aware of the risks!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 22

angeleyes, So glad you are doing well!  Fortunately there are physicians, surgeons, providers, etc that do put the patients' welfare first and do have good results!  And there are procedures that are safe if the providers put the patients' welfare first..The purpose of my post is to raise awareness so that people are very careful in their selection of providers and that they ensure that they are fully informed prior to procedures.  The fact that the harm and deaths from these outpatient procedures is NOT being collected and not available to the public is paramount to stopping the providers who are doing harm.  The public must be aware of the risks in order to pressure the "bad actors" into being safe and careful, doing what is best for the patients, and requiring that providers fully and completely inform patients & their families beforehand!!.. imo  btw Yes I am scared and I did not have an outpatient procedure because "my inner voice" said something was not right.. I am so glad that I did not have that outpatient procedure! There are some procedures that are very risky but have no benefit to the patient that are being/have been  administered to patients very casually!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 22
@peachykeen8
WOW, I just had 2 outpatient surgeries last Oct and Jan of this yr. no choice I had to go.

I'm glad I didn't read this before I went, I would have been scared to have had them done. If it's a necessary surgery you have to go and pray all goes well.

I have had a few and I guess I've been lucky so far.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 22

My response is not based on any  data but on experience of others and myself.

Is not that they are going to kill you, is the fact that they reallly don't have the necessary personel or equipment to deal with something unexpected.
I have had several friends that have  had surgeries and of course sent home that day to have to be re admitted at a hospital for complications.
No, thank you, if a mistake is going to be made on me let it be at a hospital  LOL

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 22

Interesting questions requiring reliable data for an answer.  One place to start looking is the internal reports insurance company actuaries prepare. I do suspect you will find at least some of the answers to your questions there.  Perhaps a few that either support or refute presumptions and suppositions that, to you may seem reasonable, but are still nothing more than what they are without data to show them valid.  

Now, none of this will ever be resolved until the motives for concealing and/or falsifying stuff the public sees are eliminated.  One motive is the company's bottom line...profit.  It's real and even necessary for the company...how much is something else.  However, without the company, you don't have its product.  In this case, both insurance companies and politicians have a motive.  The reasons they have that motive will vary.  I doubt you will get a fully informed or honest answer from either, so you better look for a solution controlled by the People through their vote AND hope they vote responsibly.  Good luck!  

Of one thing you can be sure, for the most part, it's not the interests of the 'ageling' being served by either the company nor the politician[s] in thrall.  Not in their nature.

So...what's the solution.  Easypeasy, peachykeen.  Mandate equal Universal Health Care for ALL citizens.  Most economical without question.  Could even incorporate private insurance competing with a public insurance option setting the standards and allowing for 'reasonable P&O.  Excess public profit could be used to fund progams for those who 'can't pay'.  It's true, though, it all has to be paid for.  I did say there would be 'reasonable' profit, didn't I?  Yup.  Ahhhhh....there's the rub.  Sorry.

Take a close look at Centrist's post in reply to you without getting huffy.  His points are well made and even if they irritate you, they're valid.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 22

@peachykeen8 wrote:

How many senior citizens are dying at home after outpatient medical procedures????  I don't know, do you?

The deaths after procedures in outpatient clinics, ambulatory surgery center, pain clinics, doctors offices etc are NOT COUNTED, NOT REPORTED, NOT TRACKED..How do you know this?

and due to ageism bias "they would have died soon anyway"....Smiley Frustrated

Medical Examiners are NOT doing autopsies on the elderly....  the family CAN request one and pay for it themselves.

and fatality investigations are NOT being done by law enforcement!!  Do you want the over-burdened law-enforcement agencies (due to tax cuts) investigating these cases?  Was a crime committed?

There is a pandemic of elderly/senior citizen deaths at home caused by, hastened or contributed to by the greedy outpatient medical systems in the USA....That's quite an accusation.  Did you know outpatient services are done outpatient to save money???  Most can be done safely on an outpatient basis.  Can complications occur?  Of course.  Can they cause death?  Of course.  Are we, as a society willing to pay for all of these services to be done in an inpatient setting?  Obviously not. 

and the deaths are not even being recognized as such!!  We didn't know how many people police killed each year until 2015....that provides some perspective.

.Profit and money as the priority rather than quality!!  Of course!  Did you expect any differently?  Why?  A patient can choose to go to the hospital for a procedure if they want AND can pay for it themselves.  Do you expect the tax-payer to pay for it?  Why?

This is life threatening for senior citizens and NOTHING is being done to stop it because the threat is not even being recognized!!!  Actually it has been recognized for some time......sounds like it just crossed your radar screen though.

Very scary for seniors and those who love them!!  It's reality....it's often scary.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors