Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you respond to "Have a blessed day"?

Message 231 of 287

@pc6063 wrote:

RICHVA--Remember that anything you have on the dashboard will come back at you at the same rate of speed with which you are traveling, should you have to come to a sudden stop!!

Actually, in  the event of a sudden stop, anything on the dashboard, along with the occupants, will want to go through the windshield at the same rate of speed. That is why it is a good idea to wear seat belts.  Smiley Wink

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 232 of 287

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I would suggest just being honest with them.

I suppose you are correct. There are no polite ways to say "you are being rude".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 233 of 287

How about, "mother may I"?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 234 of 287

@Richva wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I hope neither of us could get mad over this, I certainly can't.  Actually, many use terms like "bless you",  "have a blessed day", etc. and mean nothing but good wishes by it. They consciously insert no religious connection to it.

But, if it really bothers you, perhaps you should tell them you don't appreciate a religious type phrase being thrown at you, and that many others may not. Maybe that would be better for you than just walking away. I just nod and go on, no matter what kind of well wish someone offers.

Peace be with you.

You are absolutely correct.  I have joined the millions of people who do not care to be blessed by a  person who has zero understanding of my stance on religion or God.  "They mean well".  "It does not hurt you". "Just walk away."   These are all lovely pieces of advice but I am looking for a polite way to say "Please do not cause your religion to intrude on our relationship."

Perhaps "May I ask which God you worship" would be an interesting comeback?

I would suggest just being honest with them.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 235 of 287

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I hope neither of us could get mad over this, I certainly can't.  Actually, many use terms like "bless you",  "have a blessed day", etc. and mean nothing but good wishes by it. They consciously insert no religious connection to it.

But, if it really bothers you, perhaps you should tell them you don't appreciate a religious type phrase being thrown at you, and that many others may not. Maybe that would be better for you than just walking away. I just nod and go on, no matter what kind of well wish someone offers.

Peace be with you.

You are absolutely correct.  I have joined the millions of people who do not care to be blessed by a  person who has zero understanding of my stance on religion or God.  "They mean well".  "It does not hurt you". "Just walk away."   These are all lovely pieces of advice but I am looking for a polite way to say "Please do not cause your religion to intrude on our relationship."

Perhaps "May I ask which God you worship" would be an interesting comeback?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 236 of 287

@Richva wrote:

Any other suggestions on how to handle this?

How about GESUNDHEIT!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 237 of 287

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Just to be clear, I always say "Thank you" but every time someone does that I just want to respond; "And may the Force be with you".

I am not sure why this little bit of propaganda became acceptable, and it is harmless, but if I said "Have a Progressive year" or "May the Cubs win the pennant" I would be considered a kook.  Toss a little old time religion behind it and all is well. This is not to bless the recipient, it is to make the issuer of the blessing look good.  I compare it to spotting a Bible on the dashboard. All for show. 

So, how does: "And may ZhooL make all your children fertile" sound?

Maybe respond with "shalom" ? ha ha    Or "Break a Leg" ? ha ha 

Seriously, it's just no big deal to me, more important things to be concerned with.

"Break a leg"...that's hilarious!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 238 of 287

@Richva wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Seriously, it's just no big deal to me, more important things to be concerned with.

I had a neighbor with whom I had a dispute.  Nothing huge but a dispute none the less.  He said "sometimes you have to let these things go. It just is not important enough for you to spend this much energy on it".

I responded, "I am so glad you feel this way. I was afraid we were going to have to argue over this all afternoon. I think you are correct and I think it is very big of you to let this small thing go. Thank you ".  

Needless to say, he then lost his temper. 

Peace be with you.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 239 of 287

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I had a neighbor with whom I had a dispute.  Nothing huge but a dispute none the less.  He said "sometimes you have to let these things go. It just is not important enough for you to spend this much energy on it".

I responded, "I am so glad you feel this way. I was afraid we were going to have to argue over this all afternoon. I think you are correct and I think it is very big of you to let this small thing go. Thank you ".  

Needless to say, he then lost his temper. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 240 of 287

@Richva wrote:

Just to be clear, I always say "Thank you" but every time someone does that I just want to respond; "And may the Force be with you".

I am not sure why this little bit of propaganda became acceptable, and it is harmless, but if I said "Have a Progressive year" or "May the Cubs win the pennant" I would be considered a kook.  Toss a little old time religion behind it and all is well. This is not to bless the recipient, it is to make the issuer of the blessing look good.  I compare it to spotting a Bible on the dashboard. All for show. 

So, how does: "And may ZhooL make all your children fertile" sound?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors