Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you respond to "Have a blessed day"?

Message 241 of 287

I"m stiking with the :  hope the Cubs win the pennant.      People need to know that they have crossed a line and are being  inappropriate.    

Regardless of what some say, not everyone needs or wants to be involved in "blessed" and according to dictionary, the statement has a religious connotation.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 242 of 287

d206460m wrote:
I too find this extremely annoying. It is inappropriate in a business setting but more than once I've had bank clerks, cashiers, telephone customer service people, etc. say this to me. Outside of a supermarket I gave a donatin to a woman who was collecting, not for a church, but for an animal rescue. After she uttered her "blessings" I asked if the rescue was run by a church. She replied in the negative, so WHY was it necessary for her to say that? I wanted to snatch my $5 back!

@d206460m  Welcome to the forum, dee em.  Look forward to seeing more of your thoughts on issues in the near future.  Have fun and "may the Force be with you"....

a nod to the topic originator....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 243 of 287

When they hit you with the line, just say "fourteen".  Then tell them you are counting your blessings. 

I am amazed at how many hits I got on Google for how to respond to this though. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 244 of 287
I too find this extremely annoying. It is inappropriate in a business setting but more than once I've had bank clerks, cashiers, telephone customer service people, etc. say this to me. Outside of a supermarket I gave a donatin to a woman who was collecting, not for a church, but for an animal rescue. After she uttered her "blessings" I asked if the rescue was run by a church. She replied in the negative, so WHY was it necessary for her to say that? I wanted to snatch my $5 back!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 245 of 287

@Richva wrote:

I do not understand why some people must include religion in their every day dealings with people not of their faith.  

Years ago i was phone banking for the Dems. A ot of people just cut me off with " God bless you" , meaning scroo you of course.

One day a number popped up that belonged to the BUSH campaign manager for the county..and yes I did call. he says.." DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" i said yeah.. a normal citizen lol

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 246 of 287

Rich- f people live and breath their religions.  It is who they are it is were in there estimation makes them hole so I do think we need to understand that.  And this is from someone who's not particularly religious,  but who know plenty who are.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 247 of 287

I do not understand why some people must include religion in their every day dealings with people not of their faith.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 248 of 287

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Did you ever consider that the person might be very sincere.  How to handle this?  Why don't you just tell them you don't appreciate their words of blessing.  At least that is honest.  I have to say that I am truly amazed by this.   Wondering how to respond to someone's offered good will is definitely at the bottom of my list. 

I also would be sincere wishing "and may the Force be with you".  It is honest, it is innocuous, it is no big deal. That may be the way to respond then. 

Have at it.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 249 of 287

@nyadrn wrote:

Did you ever consider that the person might be very sincere.  How to handle this?  Why don't you just tell them you don't appreciate their words of blessing.  At least that is honest.  I have to say that I am truly amazed by this.   Wondering how to respond to someone's offered good will is definitely at the bottom of my list. 

I also would be sincere wishing "and may the Force be with you".  It is honest, it is innocuous, it is no big deal. That may be the way to respond then. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 250 of 287

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva

Sounds like you are offended because you are taking it a religious way.

It doesn't have to be taken in that way.  "Blessed" also has informal or non religious meaning.

: bringing pleasure, contentment, or good fortune  - a blessed event

—used as an intensive
never had one blessed minute of instruction 

used in mild expressions of annoyance or exasperation.
"there wasn't a blessed thing anybody could have done"

You could always reply using something like a very spiritual (not religious) friend of mine always says -

"Love and Light, have a Wonderful Day"

I think folks who might say this to you have good intentions of wishing you well.

Why take it any other way and wish them the same, perhaps in different words.

And I think folks who say this to me are trying to point out what good Christians they are. If they need a publicist, they probably are not doing it correctly. 

Blessed could mean many things. But what they mean is "may you worship my God and have him give you benefits". 

From the number of people who have posted their being uncomfortable with the phrase, why do the blessers feel thay have to continue? If it is no big deal, THEN STOP DOING IT!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors