With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How did everyone get it so wrong?

Message 21 of 88

@CriticalThinking wrote:

As usual, Gail focuses on the trivial, in this case, an exception. But the main point of my argument stands true. The entire American Health Care Insurance Premium system is based upon subsidies for everyone. Without those subsidies, which are eventually paid for by the federal government (the taxpayer), very few people could afford the real premiums.

So why do people complain about those on Obamacare receiving health insurance premium subsidies when they also receive a similar subsidy for their insurance premiums?

The devil is always in the details.

So instead of trying to create more subsidies, we need to stop the ones that are currently happening.

I posted the other day about the advantages we would get from doing away with employer sponsored health care coverage.

It is one of the largest, if not THE largest, tax expenditure on the books.

It is compensation but only pseudo-compensation.

Think of all the advantages we would get if we did away with it.

1.  People would get it in the form of salary - the recent reporting requirement of this figure being reported to everybody on their W-2 tells everybody what the figure is.

2.  By being reported as earnings and not a pseudo-compensation benefit, everybody's Social Security earning would go up.

3.  We would collect a whole lot more in payroll taxes to help out Medicare and Social Security

4.  If we stay with some sort of universal health care coverage, this would give us more healthier people in the individual risk pool.

5.  It would also be better to get employers out of the health care coverage picture in case we ever do consider a move to single payer.  No need to involve employers in subsidizing a single payer system.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 88
STARTTING TO LOOK LIKE THE TRUMP SUPPORTERS GOT IT WRONG WITH THEIR COMRADE.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 88

@dw35993411 wrote:

We have the best health care system in the world.

Really? Then tell me why we fall behind countries with national health care plans in most health statistics, including life expectancy and infant mortality?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 88

@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Every citizen should be entitled to decent health insurance, which is what happens in every modern country except America. It's amazing how some people equate the opportunity to buy health insurance as a form of dependency. 

"I agree the Obamacare thing is going to be a problem. A certain level of dependency has been created and that is a factor that has to be dealt with."

If one is totally dependent on the government for something, it seems that the word "dependency" is totally accurate. Nothing "amazing" in that - just the English language.

A national health care single payer plan would not make people dependent on government.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 88

rker321

Mainly because of my precious time and I have lots to do.

I have given a whole lot of links where people can investigate the system of any country they feel might have a good system.

So you could make your own list.

However there is one giant difference in other countries and us - the number of people and the country sprawl (geography)

Canada,IMO, is the closest one to us in population and population sprawl with a single payer system.

However I believe you have a Medicare Advantage Plan.  Why do you have it rather than original, if you can call it original, Medicare?

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 88

Gail, 

Your knowledge of the ACA  is quite remarkable.  so why is it that you don't want to provide us with your opinion on .

A comparison of a Single Payer system and the Health Care that exists today in the US.?

I really would like to see side by side the pros and cons on each system. not just an attack on either.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 88
If Americans wanted an honest govt,they would vote for one.Most Americans try to get more from govt,than they pay into it.Just the opposite of Kennedy's "Ask not what the country can do for you.Ask what you can do for your country."So,we end up electing whatever politician(salesman,woman) who convinces us he can give us something for nothing.Govt is so wasteful,inefficient and fraud infested,we are lucky if $1 taken in taxes,outputs .50 in benefits.So,more govt means a lower overall standard of living.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 88
So,where's the incentive to take care of yourself?Where is the reward for taking care of yourself?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 88
Are you projecting how you wouls behave?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 88
Then look at all the ways these billionaires are going to protect their own interests, reduce benefits, and repeal laws that protect all of us. Sad, very sad.
Kudos
Views