Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How GOP Control Impacts US Middle Class

Message 1 of 11

Hmm, I wonder if some here want to re-establish misogyny?   To make women revert to minor roles via the RW desire to make even birth control illegal.     The problem with those who are attempting to revert to previous times, is that the cost of things will not go backwards along with the reversion of the RW social mores.    

Millenials are moving forward with the acceptance of social groups while remaining at home or co-habitation, both which was poo-poo'd by many in the past century.     The same with religion, some here will misinterpret the number of evangelicals, because it makes them feel good.    They fail to comprehend that different groups interpret religion in the same way as th white led evangelicals demand.    Millenials and non-whites are quite capable of separating their "religion" from politics and that frightens the RW who want to conflate the two.      

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11
In the mid-to-late-20th century, the American economy and culture were ripe for 30-year-old men, who — more than European and Japanese — typically landed well-paid careers, bought homes, and supported large families. But since then, getting ahead has become much harder. @Mick........this was also the time when we women had less opportunity. We could either be a nurse, secretary, or clerk. Many women had no choice except to stay in a marriage where they were treated like they must be pregnant, barefoot and in the kitchen. I'm sure there was less divorce then, but some women may have been unhappy.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I posted...

The thing I notice that shows one reason for the decline of the family is the never married rate going from 20% to 53%.

Mick posted..

Ok.............I'll play - if you don't want others to frame the discussion around your comments their way - than take a position that is succinct ..................................

This comment is meaningless without context & factual supporting evidence ............................

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I posted the facts from your link.

If you want to blame that on organized religion how about you support your thinking with factual evidence?

You Posted the Facts From My Link - I don't beleive thats true - because this is the conclusion I read in the Article I posted a link to.....................

The impact of significant student debt can be seen in lower marriage rates, according to Dora Gicheva, an economist at UNC Greensboro.

• In 2017, 57% of millennials were never married. In 1985 — when boomers were around the same age — only a third had never been married, Pew Research's Richard Fry told Axios. Even accounting for unmarried living partners does not make up the difference, he said.
  • Having fewer children: When Boomers were in their 20s, the fertility rate was 2.48, well beyond the replacement level of 2.1. Today, it is just 1.76.
  • When a recent survey asked why they were having fewer kids, most young adults said “child care is too expensive.”
“Millennials are more risk averse than earlier generations at the same age. People 50 or even 25 years ago didn’t wait to be ‘financially well established’ before starting a family. Now it’s considered irresponsible not to.”

No where is the article talking about the - Decline of Family - you either just assumed that or made it up

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I posted...

The thing I notice that shows one reason for the decline of the family is the never married rate going from 20% to 53%.

Mick posted..

Ok.............I'll play - if you don't want others to frame the discussion around your comments their way - than take a position that is succinct ..................................

This comment is meaningless without context & factual supporting evidence ............................

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

If you want to blame that on organized religion how about you support your thinking with factual evidence?

Well, organized religion is supporing a wife cheating, wife beating, cheater of piano sellers, who grabs women by the <bleep>.  So, maybe they are not the best role models. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/05/12/christianity-faces-sharp-decline-as-...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

I posted...

Mick posted..

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Mick posted..

Apparently then , that proves we actually do need more than Thoughts & Prayers & Organized Religion becuase they are failing ...............................not to worry however - because as soon as the Supreme Court gets a few more RW Radicals - Marriage instead of Selective Service will be compulsory.........................in the USA - maybe even arranged for people based on Social & Cultural Status

========================

If you want people to address your posts I suggest that you answer a post with a reasonable response.

Ok.............I'll play - if you don't want others to frame the discussion around your comments their way - than take a position that is succinct  ..................................

"The thing I notice that shows one reason for the decline of the family is the never married rate going from 20% to 53%."

The only people I've ever encountered in my Lifetime who make any kind of Moral Authority claims with regards to the importance of Marriage vis a vie Families are the Evangelicals - a term for me that includes all Organized Religions................................

So my response is based on my personal belief that the responsibility for the decline in Family/Marriages - if there even is one or more importantly if it even matters - should be placed squarely at the feet of Organized Relgions inability to establish - Strong Family Values within our Culture - One of those Values which has always been the Sanctity & Importance of Marriage...........................

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11
Mick posted..

Apparently then , that proves we actually do need more than Thoughts & Prayers & Organized Religion becuase they are failing ...............................not to worry however - because as soon as the Supreme Court gets a few more RW Radicals - Marriage instead of Selective Service will be compulsory.........................in the USA - maybe even arranged for people based on Social & Cultural Status

========================

If you want people to address your posts I suggest that you answer a post with a reasonable response.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Interesting.

Thanks for the link.

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

If you have your children dividing the desert, the one who cuts the slices is NEVER the one who picks the first piece.

The same holds true for Adults without proper supervision.

From 1936 until 1965, the ones dividing the profits ("desert" for our labors) had to do so with the knowledge that every dollar they gave themselves would result in a 91cent increae in their Federal Income Tax and a 3-6cent increase in their State and local income taxes, leaving them with a net of about 3 cents on every additional dollar. This "invisible parent" oversaw the distribution of profits (raises) at every level of the organization and the most obvious result was that for that entire period, middle class wages rose MUCH more rapidly than salaries for those at the very top so the gap between rich and poor SHRANK EVERY YEAR.

Then LBJ cut to top rate from 91% to 70%, and suddenly carving a larger slice for themselves proved a much more rational decision for Management. The pace of wage increases for the non-supervisory personnel began to slow, and never again reached the overall 5% REAL (after inflation) pay hike workers received in 1964.

In 1981, Reagan cut the top rate to 50% and in 1985 he slashed it again to 28%, and ever since ALL the profits have gone to Management so today the average worker's real wage is the same as it was in 1964.

From 1936 until 1965, 96% of profits from increased worker productivity were returned to the worker in the form of higher wages. Had that trend continued, the average worker today would be making $85,000 instead of $54,000 and the average CEO would be getting $1.4Million instead of $16Million. Similiar decreases would apply to all the lower levels of Management as well, so today's VP making $4-5Million would be getting $350-500K.

The only way you will ever cause workers wages to increase is to re-establish the "invisible parent" who will regulate the behavior of those who divide the profits, and the only way you'll do that is to get rid of the Republicans and repeal Reagan's scam.

You cannot write a law that dictates how profits are distributed - its way too easy to fiddle the amount showing up as "profits". The ONLY way is to re-regulate what happens to the money the distributors give themselves, just like our Parents and Grandparents did to cause the growth of the most prosperous America in history.

To continue the Republican insistance that giving taxcuts to the Uberrich - Reagan did it for the people, Trump has done it for Corporations - is going to make things better for the 99% is telling your kid who divides the desert s/he can also pick the first piece, and then be amazed when your other kids get no desert.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Interesting.

Thanks for the link.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors