Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How Could They Not Charge Zimmerman with SOMETHING?

Message 1 of 6

@loveabull wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. To tell the truth I always welcome legal insights. It is confusing sometimes understanding what charges represent what. I mean sure we can Google stuff instantly, but it's clearer when you read it in context. In any case Zimmerman is still a louse.

Yo're most welcome and it's my pleasure.  IMO, the emotion this case raised in the American public, like the OJ trial, was extremely high and caused many folks not to look at the case objectively.  This emotionalism also caused the state of Florida to get involved vs. the local DA's office.  The media trumped-up the raw emotion felt by millions and you had the typical Liberal vs. Conservative debate, "poor innocent child" killed by a "profiling (racist) gun toting guy looking for trouble vs. a legally gun carrying guy just trying to protect his neighborhood, standing his ground.

The Libs wanted to ignore Martin's history (it wasn't allowed in court) and the Cons wanted to protect gun rights and the stand-your-ground laws (which also wasn't used in court)....a REAL mess.

Then we had Piers Morgan on almost every night attacking the gun laws and trumping up racial discord.  MSNBC did its thing and Fox did the usual, both dividing the country even more.  This emotion caused some very intelligent people to walk away from common-sense, suggesting if you thought Zimmerman was "not guilty" of the charge he was being tried, then you were a racist.  Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed.

But I agree that one of the similarities with the OJ trial is that the case caused racial division in this country and, the case will be remembered for decades.  Like OJ, Zimmerman doesn't seem to be a "good guy"....he'll get his due soon enough.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Thank you for clarifying. To tell the truth I always welcome legal insights. It is confusing sometimes understanding what charges represent what. I mean sure we can Google stuff instantly, but it's clearer when you read it in context. In any case Zimmerman is still a louse.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

@loveabull wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31609169

So if you murder someone

Well....he really didn't "murder" anyone....remember, he was found "not guilty" of murder as the jury believed he was defending himself.

.... you're not willfully depriving someone of something besides their life?

If you'll recall, the jury determined it wasn't "willfull".  The assailant was on top of him and he shot him.  There was no evidence presented that he intended to kill the assailant.

I don't understand what particulars of the law allow someone with a history of violence to walk like that.

Well, it's hard to claim he had a "history of violence" before he encountered Mr. Martin.  Do you not understand the difference between murder and manslaughter?  Do you not understand the states attorney filled trumped up charges to quell the public outrage instead of listening to the police and district attorney?

Then again look at OJ, somebody else who got away with murder. Probably the same thing with Zimmerman.

C'mon, don't you remember Mark Furman's lying under oath and planting of evidence?  Do you really believe that's the same here?  I disagree.

Eventually he'll screw up to the point where he'll finally be convicted down the road.

I agree...or mess with the wrong dude and get shot himself.  Not a good guy.... Lest you forgot, Al Capone was jailed for tax invasion.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

For one thing, Zimmerman's past record was not allowed to be mentioned during the trial.  That's why there is so much info in the news about what he commits now.  Poor guy has times when he's scared to leave home.  Well, what about those of us who live around him and sometimes have a need to wear a hoodie?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Zimmerman will eventually meet someone bigger, faster meaner and a much better shot.

For right now we need to hope that he doesn't pass those defective genes on......

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

How Could They Not Charge Zimmerman with SOMETHING?

Message 6 of 6

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-31609169

That this came from BBC news also says something about how others see Amerika. But that last paragraph befuddles me.

"But he said the department's investigation did not show sufficient evidence that Mr Zimmerman wilfully deprived Trayvon Martin of his civil rights."

So if you murder someone you're not willfully depriving someone of something besides their life? I don't understand what particulars of the law allow someone with a history of violence to walk like that. Then again look at OJ, somebody else who got away with murder. Probably the same thing with Zimmerman. Eventually he'll screw up to the point where he'll finally be convicted down the road.

Kudos
Views
Replies