Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How Capitalists Prepare Their Children To Compete

Message 1 of 28

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Shortly after WWII, a group of business leaders decided to fight segregation in the workplace by moving qualified blacks into supervisory positions, and for about a decade, it was working. Then the Civil Rights Movement made race a political issue, and gave bigots the lie that blacks were getting promoted because of Government interference, not their ability, and the promotion effort ground to a halt.

But another aspect of that plan continued. Along with advancing blacks, those leaders had been "mentoring" highly capable and motivated kids by giving them scholarships to the "elite" prep schools followed by internships in their businesses.

The idea was to make the workplace a "Meritocracy", but instead after those original leaders passed from the scene, it simply expanded the Old Boy Network to include the "best and brightest" along with the hereditary members.

The sad result is those new "leaders" discovered they could simply redistribute the profits created by increased worker productivity into THEIR managerial paychecks, and because of the Republican drive to destroy Unions, the workers had no way of fighting back. This really took off when first LBJ and then Reagan slashed the TMR, and we're seeing the unintended consequences of that "noble cause" today.

While Middle Class parents TRY and prepare their kids for a bright future, the loss of Revenue Sharing has driven the cost of higher education into the stratosphere, and instead of being a "leg up", a college education has become an ball and chain for millions of young people, none of whom have rich parents.

How did the change in TMR effect "mentoring" and what has it to do with teaching kids the importance reading, communicating, understanding math and understanding science?

You got it backwards again rk - the mentoring produced a new "in crowd" who really pushed for the lower taxes. When they got to know Ronnie, they realized if they could convince him their dribble down theory would work, he would become not just a believer, but a true apostle and carry his new faith to the voting public with a conviction that would sell their "pig" WITHOUT LIPSTICK!

Reagan was such a fantastic salesman throughout his career simply because he truly BELIEVED in the value and goodness of his "product", in this case the product was the tax code that would allow the nouveaus (on the way to Uberrich) to redistribute virtually ALL increased profits into THEIR pockets, which is exactly what happened since the mid 1960's and really took off in 1981.

As for understanding science technology engineering and math , that IS necessary, but the Republican War on Education was so effective at driving the best and brightest OUT of the teaching profession, the "mentored" nouveaus in their elite prep schools had little to no competition in their rise to the top.

You seem to understand the value of STEM knowledge, so how is it you support the party that has made a cottage industry out of trashing TEACHERS and keeping higher education unaffordable?

That is strange. Initially the mentors were helping people move up within the system - now they created tax cutters????? And "Ronnie" got into the picture??? Considering the mentors were supposedly back in the '50s, it sure took a long time for their mentees to decide what they wanted ("Ronnie").

As to the educational needs, I believe the idea was to convince kids as to it's need - not buy it and somehow bury it in their heads.

I fully understand the need for STEM education, not just for the student but for the nation as well. I also understand that there are all sorts of programs  (not requiring wealth) to assist students get into STEM. However, the student must first be mentally qualified for the programs. No matter how much you steal from the accomplished for your redistribution schemes, you cannot buy those qualifications - the kids have to do it themselves.

BTW - higher education is available - to the qualified but you can't buy the willingness for the kids to work towards it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 28

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Shortly after WWII, a group of business leaders decided to fight segregation in the workplace by moving qualified blacks into supervisory positions, and for about a decade, it was working. Then the Civil Rights Movement made race a political issue, and gave bigots the lie that blacks were getting promoted because of Government interference, not their ability, and the promotion effort ground to a halt.

But another aspect of that plan continued. Along with advancing blacks, those leaders had been "mentoring" highly capable and motivated kids by giving them scholarships to the "elite" prep schools followed by internships in their businesses.

The idea was to make the workplace a "Meritocracy", but instead after those original leaders passed from the scene, it simply expanded the Old Boy Network to include the "best and brightest" along with the hereditary members.

The sad result is those new "leaders" discovered they could simply redistribute the profits created by increased worker productivity into THEIR managerial paychecks, and because of the Republican drive to destroy Unions, the workers had no way of fighting back. This really took off when first LBJ and then Reagan slashed the TMR, and we're seeing the unintended consequences of that "noble cause" today.

While Middle Class parents TRY and prepare their kids for a bright future, the loss of Revenue Sharing has driven the cost of higher education into the stratosphere, and instead of being a "leg up", a college education has become an ball and chain for millions of young people, none of whom have rich parents.

How did the change in TMR effect "mentoring" and what has it to do with teaching kids the importance reading, communicating, understanding math and understanding science?

You got it backwards again rk - the mentoring produced a new "in crowd" who really pushed for the lower taxes. When they got to know Ronnie, they realized if they could convince him their dribble down theory would work, he would become not just a believer, but a true apostle and carry his new faith to the voting public with a conviction that would sell their "pig" WITHOUT LIPSTICK!

Reagan was such a fantastic salesman throughout his career simply because he truly BELIEVED in the value and goodness of his "product", in this case the product was the tax code that would allow the nouveaus (on the way to Uberrich) to redistribute virtually ALL increased profits into THEIR pockets, which is exactly what happened since the mid 1960's and really took off in 1981.

As for understanding science technology engineering and math , that IS necessary, but the Republican War on Education was so effective at driving the best and brightest OUT of the teaching profession, the "mentored" nouveaus in their elite prep schools had little to no competition in their rise to the top.

You seem to understand the value of STEM knowledge, so how is it you support the party that has made a cottage industry out of trashing TEACHERS and keeping higher education unaffordable?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 28

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 28

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 28

@mickstuder wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

IF YOU CANT READ

IF YOU CANNOT COMMUNICATE

IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND  MATH

IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND SCIENCE

WHO BENEFITS THE MOST OUT OF A CAPITALIST SYSTEM?

The Small Group At The Top Who The US Government Concentrates On Insuring Succeeds

How many times have you heard Trump or McConnell talk about US Education as a Priority?

Just look at who he's put in charge of the US Governments Education Policies & what are his Administrations Results?

How many times have you Heard Pelosi or Schumer Prioritize US Education?

What do the DNC or RNC Platforms Prioritize?

Well, how about those who have prepared themselves for the real wold instead of expecting the government to undo reality with some sort of "upward mobility for dummies" program or those who think they will live on some wealth redistribution plan. In other words, those ready for that world who can read, can communicate, can understand math, can understand science, in other words, that group who want to be able to tend for themselves and their families rather than looking to the government to see to their needs.

Oh please dont misunderstand my posts

I agree 100% - there are 2 very different Americas

The problem is if there really was equality of opportunity - simple luck & randomness would produce better outcomes

Your arguments have No Basis in fact

You can't tout historic low unemployment out of one side of your mouth & in the same breathe say a majority of Amercans are lazy don't want to work & are staying home living off yours & Trumps benevolence

See how that concept your pushing all the time doesnt add up

You cant claim credit for most of America working & then say most Americans don't want to work

Most Americans do want to work & do

Most Americans want to live yours & Trumps l life but never will - not because they dont try hard enough

Its Because most Americans are honest they think cheating & taking advantage of others is wrong

It's also because there isnt enough room or money for all Americans to be in the top 20% - Trump & folks like him make sure of that 

Lets just take one example of all the Illegals Trump hired at all his businesses - for decades no one in Trump world cared enough to thoroughly vette any of them - until the issue was exposed to the public

How much advantage did Trump get over me by hiring illegals - I've owned businesses - I've never hired a single illegal & I always paid every bit of Tax I owed - no offshore accounts - I always borrowed money from a legitimate US banks - I never lied about my worth - I never laundered money

I think you get the picture

I never lived like Paul Manafort - I dont own any Ostrich jackets

I'll never be in the top 20%

How did you get from a perfectly logical point of the importance of raising kids who can read, can communicate, can understand math, can understand science to money laundering and ostrich coats?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 28

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Problem is, Conservatives do NOT want to "be able to tend(sic) for themselves and their families".

They want extraordinary Government assistence to arrange their income so it escapes taxation.

They want special Government consideration so they can make all their kids millionaires before they're 21 using tax-free gifts.

They want special country club Government prisons for "white collar criminals" so they won't have to assoicate with the Unwealthy if they get caught.

They want Government to allow them to pass huge fortunes to their spawn tax-free.

Guess What???

THEY GOT ALL THOSE THINGS, but of course those things are NEVER part of the discussion of "things the Government should not do". Oh no, the Conservatice conversation is devoted ENTIRELY to how to REDUCE subsistence support to the least of our citizens and vilify those who are not paid enough to pay federal income tax.

Yes, "their income". They want to teach their kids to earn "their income".

Again - In other words, making them people who can read, can communicate, can understand math, can understand science.

BTW - since you seem to want to play the (sic) game you might want to take a look at your "Conservatice" amd "assoicate" and "assistence".

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 28
How much talent is the country missing out on because other young adults struggle to pay for college, then struggle to find jobs, and so on? .....@Manic Progressive........Here's what I see many times at the large IT, well paying company I work for. Grads who run from paying their college loan. They come in making good money, but by the time the loan catches up with them, they have child support or a garnishment for taxes and instead of making an effort to work out a way to pay any of this, they run. I have wondered what happens when there are no more jobs to run to. We seem to be teaching that you get this loan, come out with hopefully a good major, get a good job, but run from paying your debts. That seems very wrong to me.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 28

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Yup. Absolutely.  An acquaintance of mine wrote this book, Dream Hoarders, about how the top 20% (income) pour tons of resources into their kids, that the kids have very little chance of failing. Those in the top 20% think of this as ensuring their kids’ success or even supremacy. It functions as a floor to keep their kids from falling out of the top 20%. But it also functions as a ceiling, keeping most others out.  And those in the top 20 are fine with it. Their kids matter, right? Who cares about the others?

Until you see charts like Mick’s that show our mediocrity as a whole.  

https://www.educationnext.org/the-rich-get-richer-book-review-dream-hoarders-richard-v-reeves/

@ManicProgressive - All you said is true, but you missed the most significant lesson the seriously rich all pass to their children:

The Importance of CONNECTIONS,

how to build them and how to maintain them. With the right connections, their children get the unpaid internships in the Corporate HQ because they've already met the selection committee socially AND they can live for a year or two in The Big City without a paycheck, thanks to that Trust Fund begun the day they were born and continued to grow by at least the $20K Mumsie and Poppy kick in each year.

As for the rest - the best schools, tutors, travel, etc. it also pretty much insures they will meet and marry only those like themselves, preserving the Family Hoard the same way Royalty did successfully for all those years before 1776 marked the beginning of the end for that form of Royal

Yes, we were writing at the same time. I elaborated a bit on contacts. I grew up lower income and paid my way through law school. That was the first time I saw how contacts worked. Daddy paid for law school for their kid (no loans). Daddy was partner at a firm, and it was easy to get Joey or Jane a summer internship position or a clerkship through friends.  

Then I got to a position where “I” had contacts. It’s a completely different world.

Nothing against wealthier, well connected kids. They are smart and work hard too.  But they start at a higher spot than most and it’s just easier all the way around.  

How much talent is the country missing out on because other young adults struggle to pay for college, then struggle to find jobs, and so on?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 28
Mick - Most Americans want to live yours & Trumps l life but never will - not because they dont try hard enough

I think it is possible you are assuming too much here. IMO birds-nest-soup is but a dream in the chow line.
No one in their right mind wants to emulate dt's eating habits. It would be nice though to have someone else take care of my own hair do each morning. lol
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 28

@rk9152 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

IF YOU CANT READ

IF YOU CANNOT COMMUNICATE

IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND  MATH

IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND SCIENCE

The Small Group At The Top Who The US Government Concentrates On Insuring Succeeds

How many times have you heard Trump or McConnell talk about US Education as a Priority?

Just look at who he's put in charge of the US Governments Education Policies & what are his Administrations Results?

How many times have you Heard Pelosi or Schumer Prioritize US Education?

What do the DNC or RNC Platforms Prioritize?

Well, how about those who have prepared themselves for the real wold instead of expecting the government to undo reality with some sort of "upward mobility for dummies" program or those who think they will live on some wealth redistribution plan. In other words, those ready for that world who can read, can communicate, can understand math, can understand science, in other words, that group who want to be able to tend for themselves and their families rather than looking to the government to see to their needs.

Oh please dont misunderstand my posts

I agree 100% - there are 2 very different Americas

The problem is if there really was equality of opportunity - simple luck & randomness would produce better outcomes

Your arguments have No Basis in fact

You can't tout historic low unemployment out of one side of your mouth & in the same breathe say a majority of Amercans are lazy don't want to work & are staying home living off yours & Trumps benevolence

See how that concept your pushing all the time doesnt add up

You cant claim credit for most of America working & then say most Americans don't want to work

Most Americans do want to work & do

Most Americans want to live yours & Trumps l life but never will - not because they dont try hard enough

Its Because most Americans are honest they think cheating & taking advantage of others is wrong

It's also because there isnt enough room or money for all Americans to be in the top 20% - Trump & folks like him make sure of that 

Lets just take one example of all the Illegals Trump hired at all his businesses - for decades no one in Trump world cared enough to thoroughly vette any of them - until the issue was exposed to the public

How much advantage did Trump get over me by hiring illegals - I've owned businesses - I've never hired a single illegal & I always paid every bit of Tax I owed - no offshore accounts - I always borrowed money from a legitimate US banks - I never lied about my worth - I never laundered money

I think you get the picture

I never lived like Paul Manafort - I dont own any Ostrich jackets

I'll never be in the top 20%

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors