Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Houston: Shocking Turnout for First Day

Message 2 of 7

@afisher wrote:

Apparently the previous blogger know little about Texas.    It was not just the larger cities that had massive turnouts...and one would know that if they lived in Texas.     But the outsider would probably not be able to recognize that one polling place is not the big picture.    So here is a few county wide reporting:   

Those who don't live in Texas probably will make lame excuses...because that is often what they do.    While some were listening to Donald proclaim he is a nationalist, a million of so other Texans were voting.  

It appears that you are responding to what I posted.  It also appears that you don't understand Texas elections or what I said, which is below.  In summary, I said that turnout in Houston doesn't tell the story of the election because Houston, like most major cities, is a liberal hotbed, but rural and suburban areas vote conservative and outnumber the voters in cities, which is why Texas is a Republican state.  As far as "making lame excuses" that sounds like exactly what your doing because YOU DON'T KNOW, and won't know, until after the election how many votes in Harris county came from Houston proper, which would probably be for Democrats, and how many came from the suburbs, which would probably be for Republicans.  And then, of course, besides Harris county there are 7 other counties in the Houston metropolitan area and besides the 5 counties you mentioned that contain large cities, there are 249 other counties in Texas that will be voting.  Finally, if you look at it historically, Harris County sometimes goes Republican and sometimes goes Democratic.  The largest it ever went Democratic was for Clinton who won it handily in 2016.  But. FOR EXACTLY THE REASONS I STATED, Trump won the state and the election.  I see no reason to believe that 2018 will be any different but perhaps you have some inside information that you can share with us. 

What I actually said was:

Although Texas has more large cities than any other state, the population of the suburbs and rural area outnumber the cities which is what makes Texas a Republican state.  As the Houston paper indicated, I have no doubt Democratic turnout is high in Houston.  This morning I rode with my friend to his polling place in an overwhelmingly Republican suburb.  He said he had never seen more than a couple people at a time voting there, but there were literally hundreds of people in line so he decided to go back in a couple days in hopes the frenzy would slow down.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Apparently the previous blogger know little about Texas.    It was not just the larger cities that had massive turnouts...and one would know that if they lived in Texas.     But the outsider would probably not be able to recognize that one polling place is not the big picture.    So here is a few county wide reporting:   

Those who don't live in Texas probably will make lame excuses...because that is often what they do.    While some were listening to Donald proclaim he is a nationalist, a million of so other Texans were voting.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@gordyfl wrote:

Shocking Turnout for First Day of Early Voting in Houston

I happen to be in Houston at the moment and I've been following the Senate race.  A few observations:

1.  In Texas, as in most states, all the big cities are overwhelmingly populated by people who are more interested in what they can get than in what they can contribute, which is why the Houston mayor and most city officials are liberals and the city has been going downhill.  A good example is the school district which is in real trouble so they tried to bring back a previous superintendent who had really helped the schools.  After meeting with the board he turned down the job saying the real problem was the board itself which had become  so dysfunctional no improvements could be made until the board was replaced.

2.  Although Texas has more large cities than any other state, the population of the suburbs and rural area outnumber the cities which is what makes Texas a Republican state.  As the Houston paper indicated, I have no doubt Democratic turnout is high in Houston.  This morning I rode with my friend to his polling place in an overwhelmingly Republican suburb.  He said he had never seen more than a couple people at a time voting there, but there were literally hundreds of people in line so he decided to go back in a couple days in hopes the frenzy would slow down.

3.  Cruz being elected to the Senate was much like Bill Clinton being elected President.  It was by accident.  In the Cruz election there were a number of primary candidates and he finished second, but the guy who finished first got less than 50% of the vote so there was a run-off.   Cruz won the run-off because his opponent embarrassed himself in a debate they had.  

4.  Beto has raised so much money that the DNC asked him to share it with candidates that had a chance of winning.  He refused.  He has used that money to run an awfully slick campaign but probably won't win for three reasons. First, Texas IS a Republican state.  If Cruz is defeated it will be in a primary, not a general election.  Second, Beto didn't learn anything from how Cruz originally won, i.e. due to his debating skills.  (Cruz was the national debating champion when he was in college.)  Beto would have been better off avoiding the debates.  He didn't fare well.  Third, Beto is using his money to relentlessly run TV ads but they are starting to work against him because there is no real meat to them, Cruz is doing a good job exposing them, and people have begun to see thru them.  For example, he says we need to re-do immigration laws "in our image."  Everyone agrees that we need to rewrite the immigration laws.  But what is "in our image?"  Previously Beto has come out in favor of open borders and sanctuary cities.  And most people don't agree that is "in our image."  He said that instead of securing the border we need to focus spending on points of entry.  But if there is no border security the point of entry will be anywhere along the border one chooses to enter.  He faulted Cruz for running for President instead of focusing on his job in the Senate.  Yet here he is running for the Senate instead of focusing on his job in Congress.  By the way, I've been traveling a lot lately and noticed everywhere I go that liberals are using ads like that, i.e. they avoid any real issues and using ads that sound good unless you actually delve into them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7
good for Houston! I already voted here, and I saw a headline on NBC news this morning that said a huge turnout is expected. I sure hope so, because I too believe this is THE most important election of my life so far. VOTE!!!!! Like your life depended on it.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Houston: Shocking Turnout for First Day

Best Wishes to Beto, I'm rooting for him.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Houston: Shocking Turnout for First Day

Message 7 of 7

Shocking Turnout for First Day of Early Voting in Houston

October 22, 2018

Thousands of people were already camped out at a key early voting location in Houston on Monday morning, hours before voting was even set to begin.
Nearly 2,000 people stood in line outside of the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center on West Gray near River Oaks in a scene that looked more like a Black Friday shopping morning.

"This is one of the most important elections of our lifetimes," said Cody Pogue, who arrived at 8:30 p.m. on Sunday to make sure he'd be one of the first people to cast a ballot for Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke.

Just moments later, O'Rourke was across the street firing up his supporters with a bullhorn.
"Are y'all ready?" Beto O'Rourke said to a cascade of cheers. "Houston, I love you."

Karen Bard, who was in line more than an hour before the polls opened, said she doesn't normally vote in midterms, but O'Rourke changed that.
"It's not about me, it's about my kids," Bard said.

Real Clear Politics Polls has Ted Cruz up by 7%.

https://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Shocking-turnout-for-first-day-of-early-voting-in-...

Beto.png

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors