Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Houston Sheriff Calls Out "People of Faith"

Message 11 of 24

I believe the title of the thread is incorrect.  Acevedo is Houston's Chief of Police.  The Sheriff of Harris County is Ed Gonzalez.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 24

@john258wrote:
@jimc91wrote:

@Centristsin2010 Have you seen the list of NRA members that have commited mass shootings?

Me either...It does not exist.

You are focused on an object and an organization instead of the root cause.

What causes a person to take another persons life?

If you are sincere in solving this issue you have to deal with the root cause.

Anything less is just empty bloviating...

The NRA will not put it out. You solve the issue by getting the far right out of power. Ct. did that and dropped the murder rate by 30%.

Good point, John.  It'll be interesting to see if there is a drop in the murder rate in Florida after the recent changes there.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 24

@jimc91wrote:

@Centristsin2010 Have you seen the list of NRA members that have commited mass shootings?

The NRA will not put it out. You solve the issue by getting the far right out of power. Ct. did that and dropped the murder rate by 30%.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 24

All Police Chiefs in major cities feel the same as the Houston Police Chief does.  They know the dangers guns create, they see it day in and day out.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 24

@jimc91wrote:

Me either...It does not exist.  Are you claiming NRA members haven't killed people?  Your point has nothing to do with what I posted. My point is, a kid shoots up a school or a guy kills 58 shooting out a hotel window.  Were these guys mentally ill before they killed anyone?  Nope!  No evidence either were.  But as soon as they go on their rampage, the NRA and those who support them claim they must be mentally ill and shouldn't have been sold a gun.

You are focused on an object and an organization instead of the root cause.  What's the root cause?  Girls refusing dates?  Losing at Blackjack?  Please do tell us what the "root cause" is, Jim.

What causes a person to take another persons life? There could be many "causes".

If you are sincere in solving this issue you have to deal with the root cause.  People with guns feel empowered.  Thus, one root cause is guns.  Can you deny that?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 24

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 24

@jimc91wrote:

Does all this mean you guys would prefer I NOT pray for the families that are grieving the loss of loved ones?  Does all what, Jim?  That some believe it's time we, as a country, actually DO something about gun violence? Instead of the self-serving "thoughts and prayers" narrative?

To those who answer yes, I say too bad...  We have a Bill of Rights in America.  Though some don't think it applies to minorities.

Answer this;

What causes a person to need or want to take another persons life?  Tell us oh wise one.

You are focused on an object and you should be focused on the mental health of fellow humans.  Every gun owner is mentally balanced in the eyes of the NRA and other gun owners until they kill someone.  See the largest massacre in US history as an example. These words were from the Houston Police Chief who many, including many Conservatives like and respect.  In fact, he was, and may still be, a 2nd amendment advocate.

Is there anything the police chief said that you disagree with, Jim?  If so, what?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 24

@alferdpackerwrote:

@jimc91wrote:

Does all this mean you guys would prefer I NOT pray for the families that are grieving the loss of loved ones?

To those who answer yes, I say too bad...  We have a Bill of Rights in America.

Well - IF prayer actually accomplishes something concrete in the physical real world, then go for it.

Prayer that doesn't accomplish something concrete in the physical real world, is, of course, only useful to the one who could be doing something that actually accomplishes something instead...

So I will continue to pray.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 24

@jimc91wrote:

Does all this mean you guys would prefer I NOT pray for the families that are grieving the loss of loved ones?

Well - IF prayer actually accomplishes something concrete in the physical real world, then go for it.

Prayer that doesn't accomplish something concrete in the physical real world, is, of course, only useful to the one who could be doing something that actually accomplishes something instead...

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894 - APPLIES TO TRUMP TODAY
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 24

Answer this;

What causes a person to need or want to take another persons life?

You are focused on an object and you should be focused on the mental health of fellow humans.

IMO of course.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views