Honored Social Butterfly

House Passes USPS Rescue Bill With 26 Republican Votes

House passes USPS rescue in bid to thwart Trump attacks on mail-in voting

The Democratic bill won bipartisan support, despite opposition from Republican leaders.

The House on Saturday approved a $25 billion emergency funding bill for the U.S. Postal Service, which Democrats say is urgently needed to halt any attempt by President Donald Trump to impede mail-in voting this fall.

The legislation also would block operational changes deployed by Trump’s postmaster general that have caused widespread mail delays and fueled an uproar across the country. The bill passed 257-150, with 26 Republicans breaking with Trump and GOP leaders to join every Democrat in backing the bill.

"We will pass the bill and it will be in a bipartisan way, and then we will send it to the Senate," Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters Saturday before the vote. "They’ll be hearing from their constituents because this hits home."

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a Trump ally and GOP donor, has vehemently denied charges that he is undermining the nation’s abilities to vote by mail. But Democrats say his cost-cutting measures have slowed mail delivery in some areas, which could disenfranchise the millions of Americans who are expected to mail in their ballots due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In addition to the $25 billion funding infusion, Democrats’ bill would force the Postal Service to halt the shutdown of mail-sorting machines and any restrictions on overtime pay for employees. The bill would also require the Postal Service to prioritize election mail as "first-class," ensuring a speedy delivery of mail-in ballots.

“We want the Postmaster General to undo the damage he has already done,” House Oversight Chair Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) said Friday. “Every member of Congress should support this bill.”

MORE At Link:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/22/democrats-postal-service-rescue-400188

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Silver Conversationalist

56% of voters over the age of 50 vote Republican. If their meds are late they won't care whose fault it is. They won't care the USPS is losing millions. They won't care about the deals the post office has with DHL, FedEx, et al. Republicans are going to roll dice with the meds of their biggest voting bloc.

They'll blame Louis DeJoy. But they can't vote against DeJoy so they'll vote against Trump. Over 90% of Americans like the postal service. You tinker with USPS at your peril.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
Honored Social Butterfly

@Loulit wrote:

56% of voters over the age of 50 vote Republican. If their meds are late they won't care whose fault it is. They won't care the USPS is losing millions. They won't care about the deals the post office has with DHL, FedEx, et al. Republicans are going to roll dice with the meds of their biggest voting bloc.

They'll blame Louis DeJoy. But they can't vote against DeJoy so they'll vote against Trump. Over 90% of Americans like the postal service. You tinker with USPS at your peril.

Yep, the post office ordeal is singing trump's death warrant in the upcoming election. He's lost so many Republicans' support that he cannot make up for the lost number of votes.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

It will never make it pass the Senate, nor the White House, sorry to say.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Many Washington Republicans are turning on tRump now, 26 voted for this Bill in the House. Public opinion will force the Senate to pass this At least put this Bill in committee, perhaps amend it and then pass it to the House.

Social Butterfly

Early, Absentee, Mail in voting is the same process for Republican and Democrats. Protection and reinforcement of the Postal Service serves all Americans.  

The Post Office is not a business, it is a service.

Lets ask the White House to turn a profit, by cutting staff, security and air travel.

Social Butterfly

Lets ground Air Force One to save money for the US Government to keep Trump from campaigning, so the White House can turn a profit.

Just as fair as taking out the post office capabilities ahead of a Covid 19 mail in election.

A 4th grader could see through this strategy.

Social Butterfly

Surprised Trump hasn't though of printing stamps with his picture on it and mailing them to registered Republicans to vote for him.

Honored Social Butterfly

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

Surprised Trump hasn't though of printing stamps with his picture on it and mailing them to registered Republicans to vote for him.

This is what the stamp would look like:

trump in jail.png

Vote for me or this is where I'll be!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

I can't believe he hasn't tried to do MAGA stamps. 15% to 20% of our electorate will need de-programmed after tRump leaves office. (the ones that would buy the stamps and most likely own a 'Trumpy Bear')

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@PhilipT605548 wrote:

I can't believe he hasn't tried to do MAGA stamps. 15% to 20% of our electorate will need de-programmed after tRump leaves office. (the ones that would buy the stamps and most likely own a 'Trumpy Bear')

Along with a Confederate flag and Swastika .... the essentials for Trump's rallies!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Until the USPS is profitable they will need taxpayer support. However they do not need 25 billion. This bill will NEVER reach the presidents desk in it's current form.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Until the USPS is profitable they will need taxpayer support. However they do not need 25 billion. This bill will NEVER reach the presidents desk in it's current form.

No one said that it would.  By the way, the USPS is not a private business.

Honored Social Butterfly

of course it won't reach Trump's desk, because this is all about voting suppression.
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678 wrote:
of course it won't reach Trump's desk, because this is all about voting suppression.

President Trump has already said he would sign a reasonable funding bill for supporting the USPS. I have no doubt A bill will be signed, but not this one in it's current form. Again... the PO is solvent through August 2021. 

The issue is supporting Americans during the Covid crisis. However,  peelowsee  decided to play politics with the election. Won't pass because it's political theater. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

tRump flipflopped again saying he WOULD sign a bill with $25B for the USPS, and Moscow Mitch is getting a lot of flack from Kentuckians about the Republican War on the Post Office, so it may not be a done deal that the YertleTurtle will not allow the Senate to consider the bill the House passed with 26 Republican votes. Gotta figure the folks in Florida are not amused at the drastic reduction in service.

Delay times for delivery of 1st class, regular and packages have nearly doubled since DeJoy began dismantling the Post office, closing branches, removing sorting machines, removing mail drop boxes and ELIMINATING OVERTIME. If you're getting your pension checks and medications by mail, such behavior is not going to sit well.

Strangest of all is most of the people being adversely impacted by tRump's stupidity are likely tRump voters. Guess that's what stupid is all about.

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm in Florida, I haven't  noticed any change in our mail service. Rural carriers do not experience the same issues as those in cities. 

The real issue has always been about helping people through the covid issues and the USPS support was going to be part of that package. 

Dems create a crisis and then have a "plan" to abate the crisis. Tantamount to an arsonist who starts a fire and then comes to the rescue. Sick... just plain sick, this is what peelowsee brings to government. 

She's the demoncrat dictatorial cult leader who is a passive aggressive  American hater. She's never prayed for anyone in her life, while she's sober.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

this is what peelowsee brings to government. 

"peelowsee"?   Really? Very mature of you. Gee, I wonder if tRump secretly wants Pelosi to pee on him?

Honored Social Butterfly

If trump would veto this bill, I would be SOO happy. 

Every misdelivered or late piece of mail would suddenly become his fault. 

Honored Social Butterfly

If trump would veto this bill, I would be SOO happy.

You won't be happy because Trump will never see it since it's NOT going to pass (as it stands) in the Senate!

Say no to Joe!

Honored Social Butterfly

The USPS will survive, people will get their mail, packages will be delivered. You know the USPS has 15 Billion in cash reserves and a credit line of 10 Billion from the treasury. 

They are solvent through August 2021.

They will get funding to stay viable, but not under the current bill by peelowsee.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Moscow Mitch might have to allow a vote on this - his lead over Amy McGrath went from 22% on 22 July to 5% on 6 Aug, and the tRump War on the Post Office seems to be a real loser in Kentucky, likewise both Toad and Turtle refusing to provide a second relief package for the unemployed is NOT going over well in the Bluegrass State.

Honored Social Butterfly

I believe it will eventually pass, but not in it's current form. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

SWAMPY DON has already threatened VETO on this.

All I can say to him is "THERE GOES ANOTHER 500,000 VOTES".

In case one is wondering where I got that figure, that is close to the amount of employees employed by the POSTAL SERVICE. It doesn't count their other family members that may be able to vote too.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

SWAMPY DON has already threatened VETO on this.

All I can say to him is "THERE GOES ANOTHER 500,000 VOTES".

In case one is wondering where I got that figure, that is close to the amount of employees employed by the POSTAL SERVICE. It doesn't count their other family members that may be able to vote too.

I don't understand how tRump could have even one postal worker who supports him, but then I don't understand how even one patriotic American could.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png