Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hospitals closing

Message 21 of 26

easyed598:  The way Urgent care centers have been poping up in my rural area ,I doubt it won`t be long  before  Scott ,Kansa have several of them.

That's true, and Urgent Care facilities are great. But they aren't the place to go if you're in the midst of a heart attack or have a compound fracture etc. They are limited in what they do.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 26

@gruffstuff wrote:

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20150913/NEWS/309139998

Closure of Kansas hospital highlights rural care challenges

Kansas is the model for the " GOP " America, the Medicaid roll back proves it.

One hour or less to get to a hospital in a medical emergency, hard to make the " golden hour " if you have to drive forty or fifty miles.

Urgent care ............ a waste of time for a life threatening emergency, they'll call you an ambulance or tell you where the nearest hospital is.

There is a Regional hospital in Coffeyville, Ks and it is 25 miles away.  ER available.

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/results.html#dist=100&loc=COFFEYVILLE%2C%20KS&lat=37.037300...

From the local news 

"In the release, Britton cited declining population and the challenges of recruiting and retaining physicians, increasing capital improvement needs and shrinking reimbursement as factors in the decision to close.

Last year, the hospital formed a task force to consider an affiliation with the Coffeyville Regional Medical Center, but those discussions were stopped last month after both hospitals were unable to reach an agreement assuring continuation of health services in Independence."

http://www.newson6.com/story/29952479/independence-kansas-hospital-to-close-next-month

According to rules issued by CMS, many of the rural hospitals would not even be able to be certified as Medicare eligible because of distance, staffing and location 

https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-05-12-00080.pdf

quote fro page 5

"Distance requirement. Facilities that wish to obtain the CAH certification can meet the distance requirement in one of two ways: (1) by being located more than a 35-mile drive from a hospital or another CAH or (2) by being located more than a 15-mile drive from a hospital or another CAH in areas of mountainous terrain or areas where only secondary roads are available."

I could say more but there is  no way  under any health care coverage-type system that all of these little CAH can stay afloat.

Your own state should have a plan as to which ones are necessary and which ones are not.  Your state should also have a plan as to how to handle emergencies which these small facilities aren't prepared.

BTW, since many of these rural areas have an aging population, they still are paid for that care, even if the beneficiary is a dual eligible.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 26

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20150913/NEWS/309139998

Closure of Kansas hospital highlights rural care challenges

Kansas is the model for the " GOP " America, the Medicaid roll back proves it.

One hour or less to get to a hospital in a medical emergency, hard to make the " golden hour " if you have to drive forty or fifty miles.

Urgent care ............ a waste of time for a life threatening emergency, they'll call you an ambulance or tell you where the nearest hospital is.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 26

afisher,

I assume you are talking about Scott City, Kansas and not Fort Scott.

Scott City, Kansas broke ground on a $24 million hospital in 2010; to be finished in mid- 2012.  To be paid for by the citizens in a sales tax and increased property tax.

http://www.khi.org/news/article/scott-county-breaks-ground-24-million-hospital

It seems that they have many money making specialties since they are the hospital to the whole county, population of only about 5100.  They have a sleep disorder center, PT care and birthing center as well as online help.  They have a charity care program and according to Livability.com/health they have an insured rate of 83%.

Sounds to me like perhaps the hospital has some money issues aside from any Medicaid expansion problems - 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 26

The way Urgent care centers have been poping up in my rural area ,I doubt it won`t be long  before  Scott ,Kansa have several of them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Hospitals closing

Message 26 of 26

I don't know how many Republicans will respond, but here are some  questions: 

Do you live in a rural area?

What will you do if your local rural hospital closes?

It is pretty easy to ignore this unrolling disaster or reducing Medicaid funding if you live in a Urban area where hospitals have a better financial outlook because of size.  

This is from a hospital in Scott, Kansas - but without Medicaid funding, it will not be able to function even with closing it main hospital section and having an ER physician on call but not staffing that department 24/7.  

Locked.jpg

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs