From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Homosexuals Hugely Overrepresented on the Big Screen, but GLAAD Says It’s Still not Enough

Message 1 of 27

Coincidentally, the ABC TV show, The Great American Baking Show, most recently had 2 out of 10 contestants who were homosexual men, as evidenced by their mentioning their husbands.  They lost in the early rounds.

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-american-baking-show/cast

Baking, although feminine by social construction, is a genetically manly thing to do because it shows an interest in the physical rather than the social universe.  Those people who do baking only because it is a social construction are the most likely to lose.  Ironically, women, such as Martha Stewart, are genetically manly in this regard.  I mention it only because it is surprising and worth thinking about. 

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Homosexuals Hugely Overrepresented on the Big Screen, but GLAAD Says It’s Still not Enough

Message 2 of 27

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I think you should go see Boy Erased and pay particular attention to the character Cictor Sykes. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=boy+erased&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Thank you for your recommendation but past experience with recommendations from both liberals and homosexuals have been so disappointing that I vowed never to follow through on another.  For examples:

1. The liberal radio host, Jay Marvin, strongly recommended the movie, The Corn Dog Man.  I rented a VCR tape and watched it.  It was the worst movie that I ever saw.

2. On my local PBS station's show, Check Please, a homosexual man raved about the gelato sold at a restaurant, Freddy's Italian Ice.  He used very flowery language in that peculiar accent that is unique to, maybe, 25% of homosexual men, and, for which, I can find no scientific explanation. Based on his flowery recommendation, I walked 0.6 miles to the restaurant and tried some of their gelato.  I could instantly tell that it contained thickeners such as carrageenan extract which does not belong in traditional gelato.  I also interrogated the waitress who admitted it.  That was the last time I listened to anyone with flowery language or a gay accent. 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

@Richva wrote:

This is an interesting post considering that blacks and minorities are still so under represented on the big screen and we have not heard one comment about it from the Right for the last 80 years. 

You are mixing people with characters.

My question is how do they  know if a character is gay or not.  Do we have to have intimate contact for every character in a movie so we can establish their sexual preference or will a simple listing in the screen credits be sufficient? 

You can't tell when a character is played as gay? 

Finally, why the heck do they care? 

It isn't orientation of the character but "selling" as a form of propaganda. The entertainment industry should entertain, not "educate" IMHO.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

If liberals in entertainment can brainwash Americans into having one mass delusion, they can brainwash Americans into having another mass delusion, such as the belief in global warming.

Just because the media brainwashed you into believing Trump doesnt mean we all are susceptable.

again the obsession - what has the President to do with gay actors??? i'm surprised Fox didn't get in there

So what is the "obsession" that causes two topics to be posted on gays?

How do you see that as dealing with the issue of involving the President and Fox?? Don't bother - I doesn't.

And, once again, you are misstating - the point is over representation of the characters - nothing to do with the orientation of the actors.

I said nothing about "the president" and "Fox", why do you ask me? I didn't Why don't you ask the poster of the topic what Global Warming has to do with the topic? If you want to know, you can ask.

Again:  What is the obsession that causes two topics to be posted on gays?

Again, it's not about gays.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

This is an interesting post considering that blacks and minorities are still so under represented on the big screen and we have not heard one comment about it from the Right for the last 80 years. 

My question is how do they  know if a character is gay or not.  Do we have to have intimate contact for every character in a movie so we can establish their sexual preference or will a simple listing in the screen credits be sufficient? 

Finally, why the heck do they care? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

If liberals in entertainment can brainwash Americans into having one mass delusion, they can brainwash Americans into having another mass delusion, such as the belief in global warming.

Just because the media brainwashed you into believing Trump doesnt mean we all are susceptable.

again the obsession - what has the President to do with gay actors??? i'm surprised Fox didn't get in there

How do you see that as dealing with the issue of involving the President and Fox?? Don't bother - I doesn't.

And, once again, you are misstating - the point is over representation of the characters - nothing to do with the orientation of the actors.

I said nothing about "the president" and "Fox", why do you ask me? Why don't you ask the poster of the topic what Global Warming has to do with the topic?

Again:  What is the obsession that causes two topics to be posted on gays?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

@Richva wrote:

Geez. I can never tell which stars are gay and which are not. Is there some kind of iPhone app or something?   How do you tell?

Agreed, but that is not the point.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

Geez. I can never tell which stars are gay and which are not. Is there some kind of iPhone app or something?   How do you tell?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors