Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Historically, Democrats are the real bigots

Message 51 of 76

@jimc91

Did you find a site from 2015? More living in the past. Please, please comment on Dems not getting over the 2016 election! Maybe go back and blame MLK, JFK and LBJ for our current plight. Then we can comment on how reagan and w got us in our current plight!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 76

@Panjandrum wrote:

Centristsin2010:  Repubs should quit bickering about History; no one is defending the Dems in the 50's, so why do they bother 60 years later?  What's the point?  As you said, they should address their issues of today. 

Yep.  I'm not sure why, but Republicans spend lots of time denying their racism problem and almost zero time trying to fix it.

Republicans will never "fix" their racist, sexist, xenophobic ways because that and the Russians, Gerrymanders and voter suppression is how they win elections.

vote out the GOP in November

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 76

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

#WALKAWAY  Good advice, Jim.  Anyone that thinks what happened 150 years ago is relevant today, in the context provided by you, should certainly, "walkaway".

Again too funny!

Robert Byrd, Democrat, was certainly more recent that 150 years.  Grand Dragon of the KKK.  How do you reconcile that with your fake memory of your parties history?

The difference is Robert Byrd RENOUNCED his association with the KKK and worked for Equal  Rights for longer than he wore a sheet, while lil donny continues to EMBRACE the KKK, Nazi Party and White Supremacists of all sorts calling them "good people" and fuels the hate that drives those troglodytes with his every speech and action, and REPUBLICANS CHEER FOR THE RACISM AND HATE.

How do you reconcile that with your fake justification of your party's current status?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 76

@jimc91 wrote:

Here at Swarthmore, Republicans are often called racist. Almost daily, I’m treated to cocky sermons about how the Democratic Party is the “good” party on civil rights. This view ignores the bloody, violent history of Democratic racism. Democrats of all kinds—liberals, too—committed the bulk of racial sin in this country’s history. Republicans have bigotry in their own past, but it simply doesn’t compare to the terrible crimes of the other party. Let’s go on a brief tour of American history so you can see what I mean.

Lyndon Johnson is credited with passing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. This bill was also filibustered by Democrats, and most of the nay votes were Democratic ones. In the Senate, 82 percent of Republicans voted yea, compared to 69 percent of Democrats; in the House, the breakdown was 80 percent to 63 percent. Among those voting nay were Democratic icons like J. William Fulbright, Richard Russell, Sam Ervin, and Robert Byrd. They all fought the bill just as they fought every other piece of civil rights legislation.

These Democrats’ hostility to blacks was part of a long tradition that began before the Civil War. Shortly after its founding, the Democratic Party consolidated a base constituency in Southern slave states. The planter class exerted disproportionate pressure over Congress and tried to expand slavery to the western territories. The South refused to respect the results of the 1860 election, tearing our country in two. Not all Democrats supported slavery, but there’s no denying that slavery was the Democratic Party’s system and the grueling war that abolished it was the Democratic Party’s fault.

During Reconstruction, unrepentant ex-Confederates made sure that freedom from slavery would be the only freedom blacks had. Nathan Bedford Forrest, delegate to the 1868 Democratic National Convention, became the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan and unleashed a wave of slaughter against blacks and Republicans. After the army withdrew from Southern states in 1877, Democratic legislatures immediately began segregating blacks from whites, denying the former their basic rights. Ignoring the Civil Rights Act of 1875, racist politicians segregated public works, restaurants, restrooms and countless other parts of everyday life. Poll taxes, literacy tests, grandfather clauses and merciless intimidation stopped blacks from voting. By the 1890s Jim Crow weighed over the entire South and would remain for decades after. This “Solid South” was so heavily Democratic that Republican presidential candidates simply wrote it off as a lost cause.

When I mention this, I’m told that it was only the conservative wing of the Democratic Party that was committing these crimes, not the liberal wing that’s now the party’s core. This is false. Some of America’s worst racial offenders were progressive Democrats now lauded as forefathers of modern liberalism. Woodrow Wilson, for instance, was one of our most racist presidents. He filled his cabinet with Southerners. During his term all corners of government were re-segregated (Wilson’s explanations were “it is distinctly to the advantage of the colored people” and “I sincerely believe it to be in their interest”); civil servants used all kinds of techniques to reject black candidates. Southern states quickly took example, usually at the direction of Wilson’s cabinet: local bureaucracies purged their ranks of black workers or demoted them. During the First World War blacks fought in segregated units, and despite cries of injustice from black leaders, Wilson made no move to change the status quo. Indeed, the White House had a screening of Birth of a Nation in 1915, the first ever film to be shown there, and Wilson’s comment was “it is all so terribly true.”

Franklin Roosevelt, another liberal icon, also has a miserable civil rights record. While he served Assistant Navy Secretary under Wilson, his department was completely re-segregated. This gave Roosevelt no unease. As president, his first appointment to the Supreme Court was Hugo Black of Alabama, a former member of the Ku Klux Klan and opponent of anti-lynching legislation. Although New Deal policies did not intend to hurt blacks, they certainly did, and Roosevelt did little to stop it. The NIRA robbed work from hundreds of thousands of blacks and the TVA discriminated against black farmers, sometimes forcing them off their property. Roosevelt’s record really plummeted during the Second World War: as before, black soldiers fought in segregated units, and the government interned tens of thousands of Japanese-Americans in concentration camps. The president’s personal life was not much better. At his home in New York black servants were forbidden to eat with white ones. He owned a Georgia resort that was for whites only, and black employees were obliged to sleep in the cellar. Roosevelt may have been a great president, but he was no champion of civil rights.

Government was not the only organ through which Democrats abused blacks. Unions, organizations then and now overwhelmingly Democratic, were openly racist. In 1906 W. E. B. Du Bois characterized unions as “the greatest enemy of the black working man.” Well into the twentieth century they were still trying to stop blacks from succeeding. Economist Ray Marshall notes that “in 1930 there were at least 26 national unions which barred Negroes from membership by formal means.” Many unions approved of minimum wage laws partly because they priced blacks out of the labor market (this was also an apartheid tactic). After Brown v. Board, unions opposing school integration started enlisting Klansmen. Even after the Civil Rights Movement, some unions continued to use informal methods to reject blacks. The progressive wing of the Democratic Party has much to be ashamed of.

I don’t pretend that there are no racist Republicans; there are. But the crimes of my party cannot be equated to those of the other. It was Democrats who fought for slavery; it was Democrats who instituted segregation; and it was Democrats who fought tooth and nail against its abolishment. No, most modern Democrats aren’t racist. But they have absolutely no right to be cocky about civil rights. It’s like a doctor who’s smug about curing one patient when he poisoned the previous twenty. Cut out the fantasies and talk about your past, Democrats.

https://swarthmorephoenix.com/2015/03/26/historically-democrats-are-the-real-bigots/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why do the dems try to hide there own history?

Well here we go again. You take a sole fact an article that appeared in a College Newspaper as total fact. It was an opinion story to start with and the person who wrote it did not understand history and tried to slant it just like the far right does all the time. If you went further down the page you will find a small article that points out the real facts so once again like all true far right enablers you give a flawed story (Not True) as he basis of your comments. Here quickly is how one has to look at this subject. First the people involved are far right. At one time the far right were for the most part in the Dem. Party, with a few in the Reb. Party. At the time of the civil war the Dems controlled the south so most in the confederacy were Dems., and most in the Union were Reb. That started to change after the Civil war. By WW 1 it was still true but to a lesser degree, and what was said about Wilson was true. By WW 2 still true, but even lesser as Dems controlled the South. In the North things were changing. By the end of WW 2 we started to really move forwarded as the far right in the North became more Reb. The Armed services were were mixed and open to all races as an example. Blacks were moving north which made the dems. in the north have even fewer far right. Nixon cam along and used the plan to make the South Reb. He did just that, and that moved just about all Far right to Reb. Party. It has been getting even greater since then. Now about 98% of far right are Reb. Sadly the far right have been driving out of the Reb. Party all non far right (thinking Reb.) who have become independent, or Libertarian, or Dem. Trump finished the job. There are no thinking people left in the Reb. Party. Just enablers who are lead by people who support a Dicator (Trump). Our job now is to throw every Reb. out of office to save our country, and allow the Reb. Party to reform and once again help the US.

You keep your record. 100% wrong

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 76

@rk9152 wrote:

Well, the topic does say "historically" but we can look at today if that is the desires of posters.

If I say, "You cannot have this job because, as you are a black, I know that you cannot measure up" - I am a bigot because I am making assumptions based on skin color.

If I say "You can have this job, selected over another, because I know that you are not capable of getting a good job without my help" - I am a bigot because I am making an assumption based on skin color.

The same applies to school, housing, anything that gets involved in "upward mobility", "cultural diversity", etc. type programs. They all make bigoted assumptions.

One thinks he is working out of compassion, but both make the same assumptions.

The law is quite simple, and not being a bigot I never had a problem with it. Personally, or hiring and firing people. Either you have had no experience with it and only believe what’s told to you, or you can’t grasp a very simple construct. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 76

Centristsin2010:  Repubs should quit bickering about History; no one is defending the Dems in the 50's, so why do they bother 60 years later?  What's the point?  As you said, they should address their issues of today. 

Yep.  I'm not sure why, but Republicans spend lots of time denying their racism problem and almost zero time trying to fix it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 76

@Panjandrum wrote:

jimc91: 

Who's trying to "hide" it jimc91? I've said many times here in this forum that the Southern Democrats were racist and that's why the south flipped to Republicans after the civil rights legislation was passed. It's simply a fact.

Instead of worrying about what Democrats used to be, Republicans would be far better off worrying about what they are now and try to remedy it.

Excellent point, Panjan.  I for one can attest you've posted that at least several times.  Repubs should quit bickering about History; no one is defending the Dems in the 50's, so why do they bother 60 years later?  What's the point?  As you said, they should address their issues of today.  Their base, older white men, are going to be a minority very shortly. 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 76

jimc91: 

Who's trying to "hide" it jimc91? I've said many times here in this forum that the Southern Democrats were racist and that's why the south flipped to Republicans after the civil rights legislation was passed. It's simply a fact.

Instead of worrying about what Democrats used to be, Republicans would be far better off worrying about what they are now and try to remedy it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 76

@jimc91 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
First twisted history is posted, the obfuscation is heaped on it by a crony. Its an attempt to divert from the lies of ol bretty.

Please feel free to correct the record.  What part of the article posted is not accurate?  

I anxiously wait for your correction with backup as to why it is more accurate.  LOL.  What part of the article is relevant today?  Oh, that's right, none of it other than you enjoy strolling down memory lane.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 76

@jimc91 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

#WALKAWAY  Good advice, Jim.  Anyone that thinks what happened 150 years ago is relevant today, in the context provided by you, should certainly, "walkaway".

Again too funny!

Robert Byrd, Democrat, was certainly more recent that 150 years. the reconstruction was 150 years ago, Jim.  Byrd quit the kkk in 1952, 65 years ago.  More recent than 150 years ago?  Sure.  Relevant today, not a bit!  Wanna talk about David Duke?  The Alt-Right?

Image result for alt right nazi salute

Grand Dragon of the KKK.  How do you reconcile that with your fake memory of your parties history?  Facts sure aren't your friend, Jim.  Try living in the now. You know, Abe Lincoln stole the nomination....should we conflate it to trump faux election?  We could, but what's the point?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors