Regular Social Butterfly

Hispanics Have Most Covid-19 Cases in Illinois

https://chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2020/5/1/21244390/latinos-coronavirus-cases-covid-19-illino...

Latino community now the group with most cases of coronavirus in Illinois

Despite making up less than a fifth of the state’s population, Latinos in Illinois have surpassed all other racial and ethnic groups in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases.  State officials reported 12,979 cases of COVID-19 among Latinos on Friday, more than 200 cases above the number reported for whites and 1,200 more than African Americans. A quarter of the state’s 56,000 cases do not list the person’s race or ethnicity.

Illinois Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said at a news conference Friday that crowded households in the Latino community are part of the reason why there’s a spike in cases.  “One of the beautiful things about the Latino culture is their family cohesiveness, and the situation where you have ... grandparents and parents and children living together, it means there’s going to be easier spread,” Ezike said.  Another factor is many Latinos work essential jobs and can’t afford to stay home, particularly those who are undocumented immigrants.  “A lot of Latinos are in the frontlines and can’t physically distance. It’s a privilege not all of us have,” said Dr. Marina del Rios, who practices emergency medicine at the University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago.  Del Rios said Latinos have been coming into her emergency department in large numbers for weeks, but she “didn’t have the numbers to back it up because we lacked testing.”  Latinos who primarily speak Spanish are also having a hard time communicating their symptoms with physicians, del Rios said, especially since hospitals have restricted or sometimes outright banned visitors during the pandemic.  “Prohibiting visitors means that when abuelita comes and doesn’t speak a lick of English, there’s sometimes no one there to translate for her,” she said.  “I’ve heard stories of people that have gone to the hospital and because they weren’t able to communicate how sick they are, they’re sent home without proper instructions as to when they should come back. And when they do come back, it’s too late.”  So far, 351 Latinos in Illinois have died from COVID-19, compared to 868 blacks and 1,022 whites. Latinos make up 17% of the state’s population, blacks are 14% and whites are 60%.

My comment:

And, Hispanics would often say on TV, "When you have your family, you have everything." thereby telling everyone without families that they have nothing.  And, getting away with this offensive language because they are a minority.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

I can understand why regressives do not appreciate the virtues of a large and loving family. 

Honored Social Butterfly

No surprise. For the last 3 1/2 years ToadPOTUS has forced them to live like Jews in 1934 Berlin - constantly under threat of a "knock on their door in the middle of the night"  that will rip their children from their arms, never to be seen again. Kinda hard to "assimilate" under the quasiNazi rule of the Toad and his neoGOPers .

Regular Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

No surprise. For the last 3 1/2 years ToadPOTUS has forced them to live like Jews in 1934 Berlin - constantly under threat of a "knock on their door in the middle of the night"  that will rip their children from their arms, never to be seen again. Kinda hard to "assimilate" under the quasiNazi rule of the Toad and his neoGOPers . 🙄

I'm not sure how this thread turned into this but...Olderscout, THAT is just rediculous.  IF you're talking about the ILLEGAL immigrants living in fear and like Jews,then it's the parents/adults that are responsible for what they and their children are going through when they come or stay in this country illegally.  Not President Trump. The only reason the dems support the illegals is because they're desperate for votes and they don't care how they get'em!  The people that are anti-Trump, need to do some serious soul searching and get real.  Nobody wants to see kids mistreated but the illegals entered this country by breaking our laws and they are draining this country dry.  People have to be blind not to know that.

This country AND President Trump still welcome immigrants and everybody knows that, including the immigrants still coming in.  And yes, this country was built by immigrants, but NOT ILLEGAL immigrants!  Big difference.

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm LOL! Trump World is the role model for "I'm a Victim". In Trump World, they see themselves as victims of:

• Liberals
  • Immigrants
  • Muslims
  • The Free Press
  • The FBI
  • The Justice Dept.

And they never stop whining about their punitive role as victims.

Regular Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I'm LOL! Trump World is the role model for "I'm a Victim". In Trump World, they see themselves as victims of:

• Liberals
  • Immigrants
  • Muslims
  • The Free Press
  • The FBI
  • The Justice Dept.

You left out communists who continually lie about the "Free Press".

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

• Liberals
  • Immigrants
  • Muslims
  • The Free Press
  • The FBI
  • The Justice Dept.

You left out communists who continually lie about the "Free Press".

Actually, Trump holds "Communists" in high regard ...... praising and worshiping ruthless Communist dictators!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

aruzinsky:  And, Hispanics would often say on TV, "When you have your family, you have everything." thereby telling everyone without families that they have nothing.  And, getting away with this offensive language because they are a minority.

I look at it this way, I don't find saying they treasure having a family to be offensive language. To your last point, the majority has been getting away with offensive language since the founding of this country.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Latino is a cultural and ethnic term, it is not a race.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Manic's comment about most white people. Having said that, most white people are not obsessed with minorities like the bigots in Trump World. There are good reasons why it's an ALL WHITE REPUBLICAN PARTY.. 

Regular Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Latino is a cultural and ethnic term, it is not a race.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Manic's comment about most white people. Having said that, most white people are not obsessed with minorities like the bigots in Trump World. There are good reasons why it's an ALL WHITE REPUBLICAN PARTY.. 

Wrong as always.  Liberals are more obsessed with minorities because they are continually talking about minorities as alleged victims.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

Critical Thinking said, 

I'm sorry Manic, but it's not WE who speak of Latinos like that. It's those who reside inTrump World, which is built upon fear and bigotry.

I didn’t say it was right. But I do believe most white people do not see Latinos as white. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Manic said, "I’m old enough my mother taught me Italians aren’t white...just the way we speak of Latinos today."

I'm sorry Manic, but it's not WE who speak of Latinos like that. It's those who reside inTrump World, which is built upon fear and bigotry.

Honored Social Butterfly

Had no idea having family was a bad thing.

People in New York spoke of the Italians in the same way during the 1918 flu pandemic. Remember, it’s the American way to hate every new wave of immigrants....I’m old enough my mother taught me Italians aren’t white...just the way we speak of Latinos today.

Regular Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Had no idea having family was a bad thing.

People in New York spoke of the Italians in the same way during the 1918 flu pandemic. Remember, it’s the American way to hate every new wave of immigrants....I’m old enough my mother taught me Italians aren’t white...just the way we speak of Latinos today.

Mexicans have big extended families with aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. that break occupancy laws.

Oh, look!  Covid-19 viruses are racists!  The ACLU should sue covid-19!

BTW, illegal immigrants aren't supposed to get unemployment insurance.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky

Occupancy laws and other exclusionary residential zoning are racist. They were originally designed to keep neighborhoods white.

Immigrants have historically lived in multigenerational households. First to save money. Second because a cohesive family unit helps provide safety nets.

We have this belief that we can be completely independent in a nuclear family unit, but that only happens if someone has a job with health insurance, paid leave, and retirement. Otherwise, people depend on grandparents for childcare, splitting housing costs, etc. 

Regular Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@aruzinsky

Occupancy laws and other exclusionary residential zoning are racist. They were originally designed to keep neighborhoods white.

And, now liberals who stopped those allegedly racist occupancy laws are responsible for killing Hispanics with covid-19.  It's like the liberal car driver who braked her car for a squirrel and caused a 100 car pile up behind her.  All is forgiven because her intentions were good, only in the minds of other liberals.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

aruzinsky - Do you have a family? You are not qualified to judge the offensiveness of that Hispanic mantra unless you don't have a family.

Are you contemplating a class-action lawsuit against Hallmark?

. you can't figure out a way to blame white people for it because it's a Hispanic self inflicted injury.

Latino ethnicity targeted themselves due to their 'active' family lives. Of which you apparently have none. And, they're brown.... brownish. I agree there is a problem here.  Specific 'groups' of humans dying. 

GENOCIDE - the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

rump's game of favorite people to bless with pandemic protections, sadly is under scrutiny, of necessity.

Illinois, (voted Hillary) updates their battle with the virus. I don't know what Federal resources they have or have not or what reopening means to them.

The Illinois Department of Public Health reported 1,734 new coronavirus cases Sunday and 51 additional deaths.

The newly released numbers pushed the statewide total of known cases to 94,191 and total Illinois deaths to 4,177 since the pandemic began. https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-pandemic-chicago-illinois-news-20200516-il...

. thereby telling everyone without families that they have nothing.

Canada celebrates a Family Day. Single persons want to have a Singles Day where they too take a day off from work to celebrate themselves. I think they should have that day, keeping cultures in balance. Does that help to know you are not alone?

. Sorry to disappoint you, but my town became 80% Hispanic in the late 1980s.

With the amount of pain you describe having to tolerate their existence all these years, I'm surprised you've survived their personal attacks on your reality, be that as it is.

Regular Social Butterfly

@oceanedge2 wrote:

aruzinsky - Do you have a family? You are not qualified to judge the offensiveness of that Hispanic mantra unless you don't have a family.

Are you contemplating a class-action lawsuit against Hallmark?

. you can't figure out a way to blame white people for it because it's a Hispanic self inflicted injury.

Latino ethnicity targeted themselves due to their 'active' family lives. Of which you apparently have none. And, they're brown.... brownish. I agree there is a problem here.  Specific 'groups' of humans dying. 

GENOCIDE - the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

rump's game of favorite people to bless with pandemic protections, sadly is under scrutiny, of necessity.

Illinois, (voted Hillary) updates their battle with the virus. I don't know what Federal resources they have or have not or what reopening means to them.

The Illinois Department of Public Health reported 1,734 new coronavirus cases Sunday and 51 additional deaths.

The newly released numbers pushed the statewide total of known cases to 94,191 and total Illinois deaths to 4,177 since the pandemic began. https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-pandemic-chicago-illinois-news-20200516-il...

. thereby telling everyone without families that they have nothing.

Canada celebrates a Family Day. Single persons want to have a Singles Day where they too take a day off from work to celebrate themselves. I think they should have that day, keeping cultures in balance. Does that help to know you are not alone?

. Sorry to disappoint you, but my town became 80% Hispanic in the late 1980s.

With the amount of pain you describe having to tolerate their existence all these years, I'm surprised you've survived their personal attacks on your reality, be that as it is.

Answer my question first.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Answer my question first.

Okay...  No family close by, live alone on my own.  I don't blame them for not living with me, or me with them, or being far away.

Asian cultures are changing family relationships.  Lots more elders living on their own.  Like me.  And apparently you.  I enjoy being alone, except on Christmas.

I'm looking forward to out and about because I enjoy seeing people enjoying each other and interacting with them.  I like talking to kids and oldsters.  I like quiet solitude with the responsibility for all decision over my terrain.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sad to hear racism shown even when the virus hits. Could be your town will improve after more Hispanics people move in and displace some of the far right bigots who support Trump. Just think you will have Hispanics ruining the town, that should solve all the problems created by the white nationalists.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

Sad to hear racism shown even when the virus hits. Could be your town will improve after more Hispanics people move in and displace some of the far right bigots who support Trump. Just think you will have Hispanics ruining the town, that should solve all the problems created by the white nationalists.

Sorry to disappoint you, but my town became 80% Hispanic in the late 1980s.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

AR;

That is great news so you were talking about your town in the 80 so the problem is now cured. How do you like the new mayors who I assume are Hispanics. I would assume the town no longer votes for people like Trump. Since you are still living in it I assume you agree with the new rules. Keep up the good work You can volunteer to assist getting idiot Trump out of Office in Nov. by assisting the governing Hispanic mayor in his efforts. Good luck.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png