Silver Conversationalist

His Name is Cotton (Seriously)

Washington (CNN)Republican Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas described slavery as a "necessary evil" in his ongoing effort to prevent US schools from teaching the 1619 Project, an initiative from The New York Times that reframes American history around the date of August 1619, when the first slave ship arrived on America's shores.

"We have to study the history of slavery and its role and impact on the development of our country because otherwise we can't understand our country. As the founding fathers said, it was the necessary evil upon which the union was built, but the union was built in a way, as Lincoln said, to put slavery on the course to its ultimate extinction," Cotton told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in an article that was published on Sunday.

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Honored Social Butterfly

james W Loewen has written several books over the years.   The KISS one is Lies My Teacher Told Me.    It debunks all the lies that the RW et al have been selling for years.   The edition I own is from 2007.   

When safe, go to your local used book dealer and determine if they have an old copy in their stacks.   

Buy it, read it and then pass it down to someone in a younger generation.   

The1619 Project is well worth the read - the RW can not handle that the fact that the racism that they were "taught" is wrong.    

Folks like Cotton are attempting to hide reality from students - why would anyone but a diehard racist attempt to punish States from teaching the truth?  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png