You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Use code '2019' to save 25 percent now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hillary R. Clinton's Health Care Plan

Message 1 of 14

I like the fact that Clinton's proposals are very specific and achievable. She's obviously been thinking about healthcare for almost 25 years, so she should know what she's talking about. These proposals show depth of understanding.

What do other posters think about her prescription drug proposals?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

Gail, I hadn't heard about Clinton's proposal to lower the Medicare eligibility age gradually, but I think it's an excellent idea.

One issue that's very important to me is lowering prescription drug costs. I think we could get some bipartisan support for this aspect of health reform, as I've heard many staunch Republican friends complain about drug company profiteering.

Here are parts of her very specific plan:

• Leverage Medicare's negotiating power by allowing Medicare to negotiate drug and biologic prices.
  • Allow Americans to import drugs from abroad. Rescind the clause in the Part D legislation that prohibits importation.
  • Increase the number of generics available by a) fully funding the FDA's Office of Generic Drugs and clearing out the multi-year backlog of generic applications and b) lowering the exclusivity period for specialty and biologic drugs from 12 to 7 years. Often people with certain conditions have access only to a single drug--they need some choices.
  • Another important step in making generics more available is to prohibit the "pay for delay" arrangements that prolong a drug company's patent. No longer should drug companies be allowed to make minor tweaks to profitable drugs to extend their patent by up to 10 years.
  • Eliminate tax breaks for direct-to-consumer advertising. Use the money saved by the government to make permanent the R&D tax credit. This is a point I know many conservatives would support, as everyone notices and resents the constant television advertising.
  • Cap monthly and annual out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs. Following the example of states like California and Maine, Clinton's plan would require insurance companies to place a monthly limit of $250 for out-of-pocket prescription drug costs.

These are very specific proposals that address an achievable goal. One of the reasons I support Clinton is that she's obviously thought about what she wants to achieve.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/09/21/hillary-clinton-plan-for-lowering-pres...

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

Why do we still have 25 -35 million uninsured under Obamacare? Answer is that they can`t afford it or just don`t want it. Who will pay to put these people into medicare or medicaid?  The rest of us who are already paying too much for our healthcare. There is no free lunch.(but for some there is.)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

@GailL1 wrote:

I was under the impression that it has been understood that the term "Medicare for All" and "Single Payer" was interchangable.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

gorddyfl wrote

What did Hillary mean when she said this at the PBS Debate?

Hillary: "...So if you're having Medicare for all, single-payer, you need to level with people about what they will have at the end of the process you are proposing.

And based on every analysis that I can find by people who are sympathetic to the goal, the numbers don't add up, and many people will actually be worse off than they are right now."

Who would be "worse off" with Medicare? Myself, and everyone I work with would be "better off" with Medicare-for-All (except those who already have Medicare). 

So, gordyfl, how do you interpret this "Medicare for All" or the single payer system which you envision working for you as compared to what you have now?  Do you see the Medicare system changing or are you seeing it as it is currently working?  Or are you just using the term "Medicare for All" as some sort of single payer system to be designed and implemented?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Only to a far left Liberal would a moderate Liberal "sound like a republican".  That's funny.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter what it is.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

@gordyfl wrote:_

After listening to Hillary again at the PBS Democratic Debate, I've come to the conclusion she is merely a mouthpiece for the insurance companies.

There should be no doubt about that.  She has been negative against Bernie's health care proposals from the beginning.

According to the news today, then DNC has discarded Obama's ban on federal lobbyists.  No need to wonder who is behind that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/dnc-allowing-donations-from-federal-lobbyists-and-pacs/2016/...

"The decision could further inflame tensions between the DNC and supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders, the Vermont independent who has railed against the influence of lobbyists, particularly those representing Wall Street."

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

It would not only take 65 years or so, but she added...

Hillary wants to implement the same system as the old joke goes about how to kill a policy....refer it to committee.  What she is proposing is to allow the idea to slowly fade away. 

The more Hillary talks about things, the more like a DINO she sounds and the more she sounds like she is more concerned with corporate interests instead of the peoples'.  She might as well join the Republican debates because she sounds so much like one.

Only to a far left Liberal would a moderate Liberal "sound like a republican".  That's funny.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

we need to stop playing around with any of this and institute a Single Payer System and stop trying to try to repair anything.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

Hillary wants to implement the same system as the old joke goes about how to kill a policy....refer it to committee.  What she is proposing is to allow the idea to slowly fade away. 

The more Hillary talks about things, the more like a DINO she sounds and the more she sounds like she is more concerned with corporate interests instead of the peoples'.  She might as well join the Republican debates because she sounds so much like one.

After listening to Hillary again at the PBS Democratic Debate, I've come to the conclusion she is merely a mouthpiece for the insurance companies.

Kudos
Views