Honored Social Butterfly

Herschel Walker praises Trump's character, defends NFL anthem protest stance

Herschel Walker praises Trump's character, defends NFL anthem protest stance “Just because someone loves and respects the flag, our National Anthem, and our country doesn’t mean they don’t care about social justice," Walker said.

BY:   Thomas Barrabi

Pro football great Herschel Walker praised President Trump’s character and defended his call for professional athletes to stand for the national anthem during a speech at the Republican National Convention on Monday.

Walker, 58, said he considers it a “personal insult” when critics accuse Trump of racism. He argued that Trump’s public opposition to national anthem protests in professional sports leagues such as the NFL and NBA did not lessen his commitment to social justice issues.

UFC'S DANA WHITE GETS KEY RNC SPEAKING SLOT

“Just because someone loves and respects the flag, our National Anthem, and our country doesn’t mean they don’t care about social justice. I care about all of those things, and so does Donald Trump,” Walker said. “He shows how much he cares about social justice and the Black community through his actions. And his actions speak louder than any stickers or slogans on a jersey.”

The debate of anthem protests reignited last May after the death of George Floyd in police custody prompted a nationwide movement against racial injustice. The NBA allowed players to wear social justice phrases on the backs of their jerseys to raise awareness, while the NFL reportedly plans to allow players to wear decals on their helmets to honor victims of systemic racism.

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 30: US President Donald Trump (Center-R), Herschel Walker (Center-L), Mariano Rivera (R), and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, walk as they watch young participants during the White House Sports and Fitness Day on the South La

Walker said he developed a “deep, personal friendship” with Trump dating back to 1984, when the president purchased the New Jersey Generals of the now-defunct United States Football League. The former Heisman Trophy winner described Trump as a committed man with a strict attention to detail in his business dealings.

Walker said it “hurts my soul” when critics accuse the president of racism.

“People who think that don’t know what they are talking about. Growing up in the Deep South, I have seen racism up close. I know what it is. And it isn’t Donald Trump,” Walker said.

Trump was a key figure in the USFL’s attempt to challenge the NFL’s dominance in the mid-80s. The league folded in 1986 after just three seasons.

Walker spent three seasons with the Generals before joining the NFL. He was a two-time Pro Bowl selection while playing for the Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

118475173_10157191983076150_3163325362124455326_n.jpg

Social Butterfly

And only the lying half of his family support him.

He divides his family, and divides this nation.

The fish stinks from the head.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

Nothing against Herschel, but is the convention turning into 'Celebrity President'?  A lot of family, B-listers, and has-beens.  All trying to garner the praise of their boss?

Silver Conversationalist

Herschel Walker was amazing when he played for Georgia. He truly was a joy to watch. Later, he was in the Dallas Cowboys backfield paired with Tony Dorsett.

Why is he relevant all of a sudden? Has he been studying political science? The Republicans are digging up Black people with name recognition so they can pretend to care.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
Honored Social Butterfly

@Loulit wrote:

Herschel Walker was amazing when he played for Georgia. He truly was a joy to watch. Later, he was in the Dallas Cowboys backfield paired with Tony Dorsett.

Why is he relevant all of a sudden? Has he been studying political science? The Republicans are digging up Black people with name recognition so they can pretend to care.

Maybe it's a simple as coming to the aid of a friend or his deeply felt convictions moving him to say something. 

I see some posters are firmly convinced he was 'paid' ... kinda like what CNN said. Maybe what Joe the sniffer says... "you ain't black''.... 

Racism on full display thinking a black man can not have an opinion beyond what he's told to believe and say.

#demsareracist

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

for him to praise Trump's character, says about as much about him as it does Trump. Now that's sad!
Honored Social Butterfly

trump hershel walker.png

Trump was one of the owners of the NJ Generals pro football team of the newly created USFL in the early 1980s. I used to go to their games and watch Hershel Walker (and Doug Flutie) play at Giants Stadium. The games were played in the summer.

Hershel Walker's famous three-year, $4.2 million deal was the biggest contract in pro football history at the time.

The Generals and the USFL went under after three years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newsweek:

Herschel Walker Feels 'Insulted' When People Call Donald Trump 'Racist'

Herschel Walker met Donald Trump in 1983 when the current president owned the New Jersey Generals of the United States Football League. Walker had been drafted No. 1 overall by the Generals, and Trump bought the team after just one year in its existence. The two iconic people became good friends over the last 37 years.

Walker said Trump is a good friend, and that he found it "insulting" that his friend would be called a "racist."

"I have known Donald Trump for 37 years. And I don't mean we just casually ran into each other from time to time. I'm talking about a deep personal friendship," Walker said Monday night.
Walker said Trump learned everything about the team, including all details of the coaches and players.

"I watched him as the owner of a professional football team. Right after he bought the team, he set out to learn. He learned about the history of the team, the players, the coaches. Every detail. Then he used what he learned to make the team better," Walker said.

"I watched him treat the janitors, security guards, and waiters the same way he would treat a VIP. He made them feel special because he knew they were. He understands that they are the people who make this country run. They clean. They cook. They build. They drive. They deliver. He told me, "Herschel, make an effort to get to know people. Remember their names." That stuck with me."

https://www.newsweek.com/herschel-walker-feels-insulted-when-people-call-donald-trump-racist-1527315

and from ESPN...

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/13255737/five-things-know-donald-trump-usfl-experience

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I so loved Herschel, but this is not something I want to be part of.

I will write I think following Herschel's brain injury, he may be misdirected.

If Herschel continues with #dotard Trump, I will say everyone knows, brain-damaged someone named Trump took advantage of!

Usually I'd write SHAME, but apparently that doesn't matter anymore...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91   Frankly, I consider a faux racist. one that has taken the word and applies it to what he thinks is what they want to hear.

Regarding this guy defense. is that the only character flaw that he is defending about Trump? 
Gee I thought that hew as going to bring up the fact that he grabs women by their genitals. and is proud about that, that he lies on a continuous basis, the cheats not only on business and is a serial adulterer. and has neve probably opened  a bible in his life. .
So, I thought that he was supposed to defend his character/

goodlol.jpg

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Don't you love the bigotry of Trump World?  Just because Trump paid one black man to say positive things about him, they think the comments of Herschel Walker has meaning.  I'm LOL again.

The reality is, in the 2016 election only 8% of black voters went with Trump That means a staggering 92% of black voters went for Hillary.

Honored Social Butterfly

Tolerance is becoming...  It's a pity the DIMMs are having so much trouble with it.  You were offered civility and you reject it.

Enjoy your day.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

I will repeat my previous comment, Herschel Walker is an idiot and nobody cares what he thinks. I still believe Trump paid him to make those bogus comments.

Honored Social Butterfly

LOL!!

The left are so tolerant of others, especially those they don't know.  A little judgmental, ya think?  I predict the American voter rejects that ideology in November,  IMO of course...

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

jimc91:   The left are so tolerant of others, especially those they don't know.  A little judgmental, ya think? 

*says someone who posts threads like this*   😂😂😂😂

The Real Joe Biden

No, Kamala Harris Isn’t A ‘Moderate’

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm LOL! Who cares what an idiot named Herschel Walker says? More importantly, we should be asking how much money Trump PAID him to LIE just like the president. 

Nobody with an IQ over 50 would associate the word "character" with the mob boss and bigot in the White House.

Honored Social Butterfly

Herchel Walker and Donald Trump have been friends for 35 years.  Walker said he was offended when people that don't know Trump call him a racist.  He asked a question...  "Do you think I would have a 35 year friendship with a racist?"

My comment to Herchel is:   People that say that, are suffering from TDS.  They just don't like him and in fact they HATE him.  Apparently, they never learned the life lesson about hatred of others.  People that hate are allowing their soul to be eaten away like cancer destroys a persons body...  And yes, it's sad.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Herchel Walker and Donald Trump have been friends for 35 years.  Walker said he was offended when people that don't know Trump call him a racist.  He asked a question...  "Do you think I would have a 35 year friendship with a racist?"

My comment to Herchel is:   People that say that, are suffering from TDS.  They just don't like him and in fact they HATE him.  Apparently, they never learned the life lesson about hatred of others.  People that hate are allowing their soul to be eaten away like cancer destroys a persons body...  And yes, it's sad.

How do you know they have been friends for 35 years? How often did they get together? Why haven't we heard from either one of them about each other before?

Walker said Donald was a great football team owner. That is not true. The NFL rejected Donald as a team owner after the league he was in folded and the teams became part of the NFL. I think it was the Buffalo Bills. You can go check that out. Donald was the only on rejected and it held up the final deal. So we see one trait between the 2. Walker can lie like Trump.

Now we have Trumps own sister telling us he has no morals, lies, cares about no one but himself. We have Mary telling us the same thing. We have the former VP of the Trump Org. telling us the same thing along with everyone who knows Trump.

Now you want to push what someone who says they were friends as a counter to that. Give us a break. Only in far right  world could this be accepted as truth.

We see the far right enablers doing their best to spin all the lies we heard last night. There were so may lies being told they had to use fact checkers during the TV programing. That never happened before.

Honored Social Butterfly

How do you know they have been friends for 35 years? How often did they get together? Why haven't we heard from either one of them about each other before?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doug Flutie: "Hershel Walker used to babysit Donald's kids."....

Honored Social Butterfly

Some Posters  asked.....How do you know they have been friends for 35 years? How often did they get together? Why haven't we heard from either one of them about each other before? My comment...... My hand goes up! I can answer this one!!!! It could be that neither one of them knows or has even heard of you.

Social Butterfly

The NFL is not part of the US Govenment, Constitution nor Congress,

It is a business.

Cant Trump find someone more dignified and qualified to speak to America?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png