Honored Social Butterfly

Here's your check. Trump farm subsidies reaching unsustainable levels

In less than four years, Trump has already spent more subsidizing farmers than Obama did in eight. This became necessary when Trump's unfocused trade war destroyed the Chinese markets the agricultural associations had spent decades building. Now it will be difficult to stop those payments.  Like the Trump pandemic, another gift.  I told you so. 

As agriculture grows more reliant on unprecedented taxpayer support, farm policy experts and watchdog groups warn the subsidies are growing too big and too fast, with no strings attached and little oversight from Congress — and that Washington could have a difficult time shutting off the spigot.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/14/donald-trump-coronavirus-farmer-bailouts-359932 

Honored Social Butterfly

tRump's infantile trade war LOST about 10% of our farm exports FOREVER because China has found other suppliers and those suppliers are ramping up production to take an even bigger share of the market from the US.

That 10% will NEVER come back, meaning there's a perpetual glut in our markets meaning the price of crops will be depressed for decades as will the income of farmers. The domestic market will see farmers getting less for their product, but the food processors are NOT going to cut their prices to the consumer, so who will benefit from ToadPOTUS's infantile trade wars? THE CORPORATE OLIGARCHS!

Toad Worshipers say its okay because Toad is making a ONE TIME payment to help the farmer's whose markets HE lost. He's paying the subsidy using the tariffs collected from AMERICAN merchants who paid the tariffs (not a DIME came from any Chinese source) most of which was passed on the the American consumer via higher prices, so WE, NOT China, are bailing out the farmers harmed by Toads' massive stupidity.

Toad is counting on his lofoBase to be too dumb to understand what he's done, so he tells them fairy tales about how HE got China to grant concessions and pay his tariffs and how he's made the farmers well with that ONE TIME handout to cover losses that will continue each year until FOREVER.

And while he was bankrupting hundreds of small farmers and redistributing income and wealth to the Uberrich, he was also destroying the World's confidence in America as a trustworthy trading partner, a stigma we will carry long after Toad is locked up, costing us untold billions now and into the future.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The previous post is so far out in left field, I can't even wrap my head around all the errors, misconception and outright disinformation. 

How do you respond to something completely made up and outrageous? 

Enjoy your day

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Wow! Fishslayer said something I actually agree with. He wrote, "Nothing would please America's agriculture industry more than a free market approach."

Remember, before Trump, Republicans stood for FREE TRADE & NO TARIFFS.

Honored Social Butterfly

CriticalThinking:  Remember, before Trump, Republicans stood for FREE TRADE & NO TARIFFS.

You're giving them a headache.🤣

Honored Social Butterfly

The agricultural industry was TARGETED by china. We DEFENDED our farmers and prevented many more 'possible' bankruptcies and forecloses. 

We as a nation have ALWAYS known how important our food sources are and will do the utmost to protect the integrity of agriculture. 

Free markets would make American farmers bigger winners than they already are.  The only agricultural bad guy I know is, Big Sugar...  who are not good stewards of the land and who cares nothing about the product. They're in it for the subsidies, ONLY! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Trump farm subsidies reaching "unsustainable" levels.

Is that because Trump and his Republican backers are actually Communists masquerading as conservatives?

It was government debt that destroyed the Soviet Union. Trump and his backers have added trillions to our national debt in just 2 years.

Honored Social Butterfly

President Trump a communist? are you serious? 

There is a discussion to be had about subsidies in general, but calling president a communist is beyond the pale. Yesterday he was a nazi, the day before he's a dictator, today he's a commie... which is it? Here let me help... he's a democratically elected president of the United States of America, your president. Behold capitalism

Y'all are a confused lot, without direction or understanding of what we face, as a nation. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Rich, one of the interesting aspects of the TRUMP BAILOUT, is most of the money is going to the large farm companies as opposed the small family farm owners.

Honored Social Butterfly

The left would much prefer Trump gave the subsidy to Antifa, or the rioters/thugs?

Honored Social Butterfly

Subsidies... any of them, for all segment of society, creates dependency. We know that. The war on poverty is one such example. However, our food supply is a national security issue. 

Farmers, ranchers, agriculture "in general", prefers a leave me alone approach, but keeping America and a lot of the world fed is important. 

Double edge sword. Where is that middle ground? ... it's a moving target. Nothing would please America's agriculture industry more than a free market approach. 

We will always need to protect/support agriculture from the affects of natural disasters. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fishslayer: However, our food supply is a national security issue. 

Trump's tariffs aren't stopping our farmer from growing all the food we need, it's ruining them because it took away most of their markets. If you disagree, would you care to explain it?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum 

Right now things for farmers are going well. Yes it was a struggle, and yes farmers we're making less money, and yes agricultural equipment is expensive. I know all these things... but I also know china targeted farmers not to disrupt the food supply, but to try and sway voter sentiment. I also know farmers understand this and that's why the stuck with the president for the most part. Farmers face adversity everyday.... they are the salt of the earth.

I'm not a fan of subsidies and have stated so on many occasions, but I also know the chinese wanted to make this a war of attrition (they fired the first shot) but under estimated the support for our president. 

The reality was... the market was still there, it did not disappear but the chinese suppressed the outward demand to make the "futures" on ag products cheaper.  It did not work and our farmers knew it wouldn't. 

The local co-op was still moving product, but at a lower price. You just can't go to another market and buy what you need... that is not how it works. Product takes time to mature and be processed for market. Only in United States do we consistently have a surplus of product. 

Farmers are shrewd business people and combined with a back bone, they are quite formidable.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Panjandrum 

Right now things for farmers are going well. Yes it was a struggle, and yes farmers we're making less money, and yes agricultural equipment is expensive. I know all these things... but I also know china targeted farmers not to disrupt the food supply, but to try and sway voter sentiment. I also know farmers understand this and that's why the stuck with the president for the most part. Farmers face adversity everyday.... they are the salt of the earth.

I'm not a fan of subsidies and have stated so on many occasions, but I also know the chinese wanted to make this a war of attrition (they fired the first shot) but under estimated the support for our president. 

The reality was... the market was still there, it did not disappear but the chinese suppressed the outward demand to make the "futures" on ag products cheaper.  It did not work and our farmers knew it wouldn't. 

The local co-op was still moving product, but at a lower price. You just can't go to another market and buy what you need... that is not how it works. Product takes time to mature and be processed for market. Only in United States do we consistently have a surplus of product. 

Farmers are shrewd business people and combined with a back bone, they are quite formidable.  

Well, China seems to have gone to Brazil and is now building its own capacity for hogs and beans there.  Thanks to Trump, those markets are never coming back AND the farmers have a new competitor who used to be a major customer.  What a stupid policy, eh?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Brazil was buying Soy product from us to fulfill chinese demand. Brazil can be a competitor in ag products, but their technology is woefully inadequate.  You don't win every contest in a free market. Ever wonder why china has to buy so much soy? 

On a collateral issue... I would have blocked the Smith-field sale if it was my call. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

American farmers can say goodbye to those markets forever and Trump is the one flying the cruise ship carrying those hard won opportunities away from them.  As somebody said, farmers are a proud and hard working lot. They won't like taking government assistance for long and they know Trump put them in this position. Not to mention all the farm hands, and shopkeepers who are NOT getting Trump welfare payments. 

Interestingly, China would have purchased more soybeans from Brazil than it has. But domestic demand for soybean meal in China is down because its hog herd is only 40% of what it was about 18 months ago. Millions of hogs fell victim to mortality resulting from African swine fever. That 900 million bushels of soybeans China purchased from Brazil this year might have been about 1.5 billion bushels, with a normal Chinese swine herd.

https://herald-review.com/business/agriculture/stu-ellis-china-brazil-trade-slights-u-s-soybean-farm... 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My earlier statement about the chinese market manipulation has played out as well. $1.50 a bushel rather than $10. You link is accurate. 

Most soy farmers produce/employ via future contracts for protection. Make less but their margin is assured. 

It's complicated business. I'm not familar to a great extend about soy. No soy produced by me. Hog feed is dirt cheap though... the problem is processors, but things are getting better. 

The USMCA is so good for farmers... more than the china deal. The North American market is stable and (some) non competitive grow zones are compatible for fresh produce 365. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

My earlier statement about the chinese market manipulation has played out as well. $1.50 a bushel rather than $10. You link is accurate. 

Most soy farmers produce/employ via future contracts for protection. Make less but their margin is assured. 

It's complicated business. I'm not familar to a great extend about soy. No soy produced by me. Hog feed is dirt cheap though... the problem is processors, but things are getting better. 

The USMCA is so good for farmers... more than the china deal. The North American market is stable and (some) non competitive grow zones are compatible for fresh produce 365. 

How do you feel the USMCA is better for farmers than NAFTA? 

Here is a good Forbes article on 

The Crushing Truth About American Farmers Under Trump’s Trade War

You should read more. (I love it when business magazines support my positions so well)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva Farmers LOVE predictable markets. The USMCA provides that since the governments are stable and consumption predictable. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva 

In regard to the article... the author doesn't understand that small family farms are not export driven business. In fact most small farms don't grow high volume consumables they grow cash crops, ornamental's and root stock, but I can't speak about the country as a whole, that's true by me.

In addition (prior to covid) the "Farm to Table" concept and organics was helping small farmers with a high margin conduit direct to a buyer... no co op needed. Now we grow hemp, lavender, ginsing, specialized honey and all sorts of 'things' most farmers didn't even know about 10 years ago = cash crop. Good money in that, and keeps the little guy in business. Online products sales are through the roof! 

Corn-wheat-soy requires lots of mechanized equipment, big acreage, lots of workers, co ops and big outlet  markets to survive.  Small farms prefer static environments, predictable outlets, predictable margins and use few employees which are known by name and used by multiple other small farms. 

I'm not sure a business article understands small family farming. 

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/farming-and-fa...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Richva 

In regard to the article... the author doesn't understand that small family farms are not export driven business. In fact most small farms don't grow high volume consumables they grow cash crops, ornamental's and root stock, but I can't speak about the country as a whole, that's true by me.

In addition (prior to covid) the "Farm to Table" concept and organics was helping small farmers with a high margin conduit direct to a buyer... no co op needed. Now we grow hemp, lavender, ginsing, specialized honey and all sorts of 'things' most farmers didn't even know about 10 years ago = cash crop. Good money in that, and keeps the little guy in business. Online products sales are through the roof! 

Corn-wheat-soy requires lots of mechanized equipment, big acreage, lots of workers, co ops and big outlet  markets to survive.  Small farms prefer static environments, predictable outlets, predictable margins and use few employees which are known by name and used by multiple other small farms. 

I'm not sure a business article understands small family farming. 

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/farming-and-fa...

The Forbes article I posted was about the horrendous impact of the Trump administration on farmers and farming in general. Not just the exporters whos markets Trump destroyed.   I think you have the two issues confused.  It is two separate examples of incompetence. Not one. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva 

Where the rubber meets the road... the article is off base and doesn't reflect my tacit knowledge and experiences. Basically I disagree. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Actually, trump is our National Security issue!

As Fish stated, if the Chinese targeted farmers, and trump did not plan for it, that would be another instance of the rest of the World out-thinking trump...

so trump has to make up a false narrative of how we are collecting so many billions from the tariffs... they are actually being paid for by consumers. 
Just another trump lie!

And what happened to his “great” trade deal with China...another lie. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png