Honored Social Butterfly

Here's how fake trump Time cover was made...

Link to tweet

The tweet has a link in it to a tutorial that probably was the one used to make the fakes.

Even has the same bar code as trump's fakes...

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

I think that all of this is hilarious.  what should happen now, is to actually print that Fake cover and start distributing all over the country so that people really see who is the first and most proponent of fake news.
I don't know if now Trump feels humilliated enough  by realizing that the American people are laughing quite hard at his inability to accept not being liked.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I think that all of this is hilarious.  what should happen now, is to actually print that Fake cover and start distributing all over the country so that people really see who is the first and most proponent of fake news.
I don't know if now Trump feels humilliated enough  by realizing that the American people are laughing quite hard at his inability to accept not being liked.

The basic idea that donald is so weak that in order to boost his own profile by making a fake magazine cover - that  was one of his many lies during the campaign, seems extremely gratuitous and his supporters distruption excuses are pretty hilariously.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump may not be well liked, but you should read my Twitter feed: the man IS liked. Adored even. Not by you guys, clearly. But so what? He didn't need your admiration in order to get elected. (just sayin :))

DH and I have a few of these 'fake' mag covers on our respective office walls. It is a standard product offered at the finish line celebration of sporting events. They are sold as art, keepsakes, mementos. Nobody who looks at them thinks that the covers are real. 

So the guy had some merchandising art made up for his commercial establishments. I have done the same when I had commercial space. It is called presentation. Call it staging. I even had my walls covered in original art for free by offering wall space to artist friends. This way, when heavyweight Hollywood directors came to see me about location scouting what they saw wasn't a woman with an office full of maps and real estate brochures, but someone who had an eye for composition. That art helped me sell my services. Trump is doing a similar thing.

Anyone in business can see that. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

Trump may not be well liked, but you should read my Twitter feed: the man IS liked. Adored even. Not by you guys, clearly. But so what? He didn't need your admiration in order to get elected. (just sayin :))

DH and I have a few of these 'fake' mag covers on our respective office walls. It is a standard product offered at the finish line celebration of sporting events. They are sold as art, keepsakes, mementos. Nobody who looks at them thinks that the covers are real. 

So the guy had some merchandising art made up for one of his commercial establishments. I have done the same when I had commercial space. It is called presentation. Call it staging. I even had my walls covers in original art for free by offering wall space to artist friends. This way, when heavy weight Hollywood directors came to see me about location scouting what they saw wasn't a woman with an office full of maps and real estate brochures, but someone who had an eye for composition. That art helped me sell my services. Trump is doing a similar thing.

Only dishonest businessmen understand what you are saying, only businessmen that have little ethics understand what you are saying. And only businessmen that don't want to admit that they go for business practices that actually are in this case not legal. I bet that Time Magazine will now do something about that.

Do not confuse the morality of some business men with the morality of bussinessmen that don't see anything wrong with a man putting himself of a magazine that never happened.
So, if he has so many Americnas that are enamored of a man that lies, that does what he does? Then in that case, this country deserves Trump. and you all have my blessings.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Epster wrote:

So the guy had some merchandising art made up for one of his commercial establishments. I have done the same when I had commercial space. It is called presentation. Call it staging. I even had my walls covers in original art for free by offering wall space to artist friends. This way, when heavy weight Hollywood directors came to see me about location scouting what they saw wasn't a woman with an office full of maps and real estate brochures, but someone who had an eye for composition. That art helped me sell my services. Trump is doing a similar thing.

Only dishonest businessmen understand what you are saying, only businessmen that have little ethics understand what you are saying. And only businessmen that don't want to admit that they go for business practices that actually are in this case not legal. I bet that Time Magazine will now do something about that.

Do not confuse the morality of some business men with the morality of bussinessmen that don't see anything wrong with a man putting himself of a magazine that never happened.
So, if he has so many Americnas that are enamored of a man that lies, that does what he does? Then in that case, this country deserves Trump. and you all have my blessings.

Whenever I saw "presentation" and "staging" of that nature, I never did business with that company - told friends and business acquaintances about what I saw...

I remember a far better form of advertising that the Saab dealer in Denver did in the sixties(the only one back in the dinosaur days) ... 

Whenever there were blizzard conditions and the roads were mostly impassable, there would be short ads run every 15 minutes offering free transportation - first come first served - in a Saab equipped with snow tires and the predecessor to cable chains when necessary.

That was back in the days when the "Shrike" engine had a lifetime warranty to the original owner that was actually honored - got a new engine once myself when I wore the original one out...

Trivia - the first VWs and the first Saabs were imported into the US on the same ship in 1949...

Bottom line - advertising is a form of lying - caveat emptor.

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

@alferdpacker wrote:

Whenever I saw "presentation" and "staging" of that nature, I never did business with that company - told friends and business acquaintances about what I saw...

Well, @alferdpacker virtually every business engages in staging and presentation. See an Italian restaurant with red & white gingham curtain and garlic braids hung in the dining room? Staged.

That auto body shop with a circa 1959 Chevy atop a 20' pole at the end of the driveway? Presentation.

Baskets of fruit on display at the farmers market? Staged presentation.

Girl Scouts in uniform holding handmade signs hawking cookies? Staged presentation.

We once knew a chef who advertised that his place had won awards for (I forget what). He would also readily admit to anyone who asked that indeed he'd presented the award to himself. Somehow he pulled this off: people actually liked him for this... well and his food, but also for his charming ability to spin outrageous tales. (People would crucify me if I tried that: it's all in the personality I think:)) 

So while I, like you, view all advertising with healthy disbelief, please note that any business that wants to remain engages in staging and presentation. Staging and presentation help tell your story, help your customers find you, and help induce 'buy in'. Without a customer base (buy in) it's all over.

Would I  display mock magazine covers in a public area of my business? I seriously doubt it. Maybe something so outrageous there could be no doubt that it was not a real magazine cover. Small, distant maybe, that. Do I think Trump doing so makes him a liar? No. I think it makes him Trump. It is consistent with his branding. 

For me the bottom line is that this line of chatter is much ado about nothing. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree, eh? (Same old, same old. :))  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Our businesses don't stage, do presentation or advertise.

The closest you will see to staging or presentation is vehicles in process of service/repair, or parked out front waiting to be serviced/repaired.

Our motto on invoices reads - "We're something you can brag to your friends about finding - competent and honest vehicle technicians."

We've found the "better mousetrap" strategy to be adequate for the last 25 years.

There's no employee/employer arrangement - after a six month period, the partners vote on accepting a new partner with a bulletproof partnership agreement/contract.

Now that I'm no longer an active partner, I don't get a vote.

I agree with you in part, and disagree in part.

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

I am reminded of the person who bought a big package of cereal at a box store and was unhappy because while the photo showed fresh fruit in the bowl with the cereal, the product contained no such thing. Nor, apparently, was fruit listed in the ingredients.

I cannot explain the expectation of fresh fruit in a mass-produced, un-refrigerated, warehouse store cereal product. Nor can I explain the expectation of self congratulatory headlines ending with exclamation points as being authentic journalist written, editor approved magazine fare.

Well, in these times, perhaps readers should expect "Epster Won Tour de France on a Trike!" to be as real as any headline.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

I am reminded of the person who bought a big package of cereal at a box store and was unhappy because while the photo showed fresh fruit in the bowl with the cereal, the product contained no such thing. Nor, apparently, was fruit listed in the ingredients.

I cannot explain the expectation of fresh fruit in a mass-produced, un-refrigerated, warehouse store cereal product. Nor can I explain the expectation of self congratulatory headlines ending with exclamation points as being authentic journalist written, editor approved magazine fare.

Well, in these times, perhaps readers should expect "Epster Won Tour de France on a Trike!" to be as real as any headline.

Is a matter of being human, expectations are always higher than reality.  and of course when reality settles it feels as if you have been dropped from a ten floor building.  Journalists are just that, simple men and women that have to do a job in an environment of distrust, partisahip, hyperboles, and trying to have their "stories"  be the "story"
Perhaps, your expectations about journalistsis suffering from  your image of what it should be, instead of what it is.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Unclear if you are opining that mayhap I suffer from living in an unfamiliar journalism landscape after having worked those mean streets, pencil in hand. If that's what you are saying, then I say, eh, perhaps, perhaps. I am old school, having worked decades with both the AP Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style within reach, but I have very recent (not this election cycle) experience in marketing, B2B wordslinging, pr, news story placement and the like.

I'm one of the few here that has bothered to fill out a bio. I did so that folks who cared to could see where my comments are coming from. I've done everything from live radio and TV to produced radio and TV plus weekly and daily news reporting as well as magazine feature and columns. So yeah, I have plenty of journalism experience behind my statements on this subject. And yeah, I saw that those covers were marketing pieces.

Was a day when just about anyone could see they were not actual covers. 

Sigh.

My bio:Who do I think I am, anyway? :)Who do I think I am, anyway? 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@Epster wrote:

Unclear if you are opining that mayhap I suffer from living in an unfamiliar journalism landscape after having worked those mean streets, pencil in hand. If that's what you are saying, then I say, eh, perhaps, perhaps. I am old school, having worked decades with both the AP Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style within reach, but I have very recent (not this election cycle) experience in marketing, B2B wordslinging, pr, news story placement and the like.

I'm one of the few here that has bothered to fill out a bio. I did so that folks who cared to could see where my comments are coming from. I've done everything from live radio and TV to produced radio and TV plus weekly and daily news reporting as well as magazine feature and columns. So yeah, I have plenty of journalism experience behind my statements on this subject. And yeah, I saw that those covers were marketing pieces.

Was a day when just about anyone could see they were not actual covers. 

Sigh.

My bio:Who do I think I am, anyway? :)Who do I think I am, anyway? 🙂

Very impressive Bio.  and I do respect your experience and knowledge. but I also believe that the last sentence in my post is also true.
You have expectations of what you think it should be and not what it is. 

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I also believe that the last sentence in my post is also true.

You have expectations of what you think it should be and not what it is. 

I guess so. I expect people of voting age to be able to discern right from wrong, fact from exaggeration, a true issue of morality from blustering self-promotion and to be able to figure out if a product image that includes milk and fruit is an accurate representation of the cereal box contents. And, yes, your drive through coffee will be H O T. 🙂 Unprotected sex may result in parenting or disease. Spending more than you make will result in financial difficulty. Running a red light might result in a collision: if so, it will be your fault. Disliking a president does not make everything he or she does illegal or impeachment worthy. And so forth. 🙂

PS Everybody of our age group has an impressive history. A pity that most do not realize this, but it takes some brawn and moxie to get to 6 decades, brain and sensibilities intact. 

Enjoy the remains of your day. 🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png