Honored Social Butterfly

Here’s Why So Many Treasury Department Officials Requested Unmaskings of Gen. Flynn

Here’s Why So Many Treasury Department Officials Requested Unmaskings of Gen. Flynn

BY:  Elizabeth Vaughn

We all wondered why the names of so many Obama Treasury Department officials appeared on the list of those who requested unmaskings of Gen. Michael Flynn’s telephone calls. The requests all came on December 14, 2016 and were made by then-Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew (Lew made a second request on January 12, 2017), then-Acting Assistant Secretary of the Treasury Arthur “Danny” McGlynn, then-Acting Assistant Deputy Secretary Mike Neufeld, then-Deputy Secretary Sarah Raskin, then-Under Secretary Nathan Sheets and then Acting Under Secretary Adam Szubin.

(Note: Sarah Raskin is married to anti-Trumper Rep. Jamin B. “Jamie” Raskin (D.-Md.), who served as one of the House Managers in the Senate impeachment trial.)

Powerline’s John Hinderaker may have found the answer in an Ohio Star article entitled “The Treasury Department Spied on Flynn, Manafort, and the Trump Family, Says Whistleblower.” The article states:

President Barack Obama’s Treasury Department regularly surveilled retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn’s financial records and transactions beginning in December 2015 and well into 2017, before, during and after when he served at the White House as President Donald Trump’s National Security Director, a former senior Treasury Department official, and veteran of the intelligence community, told the Star Newspapers.

“I started seeing things that were not correct, so I did my own little investigation, because I wanted to make sure what I was seeing was correct” she said. “You never want to draw attention to something if there is not anything there.”

The whistleblower said she only saw metadata, that is names and dates when the general’s financial records were accessed. “I never saw what they saw.”

By March 2016, the whistleblower said she and a colleague, who was detailed to Treasury from the intelligence community, became convinced that the surveillance of Flynn was not tied to legitimate criminal or national security concerns, but was straight-up political surveillance among other illegal activity occurring at Treasury.

“When I showed it to her, what she said, ‘Oh, sh%t!’ and I knew right then and there that I was right – this was some shady stuff,” the whistleblower said.

“It wasn’t just him,” the whistleblower said. “They were targeting other U.S. citizens, as well.”

Only two names are listed in the whistleblower’s official paperwork, so the others must remain sealed, she said. The second name is Paul J. Manafort Jr., the one-time chairman of Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.

The other names include: Members of Congress, the most senior staffers on the 2016 Trump campaign and members of Trump’s family, she said.

Prior to serving as Obama’s Treasury Secretary, Jack Lew had been Obama’s White House chief of staff. Hinderaker notes that Lew was unusually political.

Unlike Eric Ciaramella, this whistleblower’s request was repeatedly dismissed by the Treasury Department’s Inspector General, Richard K. Delmar, who remains in office today. (Oh, President Trump?) The whistleblower told the Star she had submitted a formal complaint in March 2017. She said she had notified Delmar about the problem in August 2016.

In May 2017, she “filed a subsequent complaint with the Office of Special Counsel May 2017.” (This is the permanent office established to work with whistleblowers and is not related to Special Counsel Robert Mueller.) She explained:

This surveillance program was run out of Treasury’s Office of Intelligence Analysis, which was then under the leadership of S. Leslie Ireland. Ireland came to OIA in 2010 after a long tenure at the Central Intelligence Agency and a one-year stint as Obama’s daily in-person intelligence briefer.

The whistleblower said Treasury should never have been part of the unmasking of Flynn, because its surveillance operation was off-the-books. That is to say, the Justice Department never gave the required approval to the Treasury program, and so there were no guidelines, approvals nor reports that would be associated with a DOJ-sanctioned domestic surveillance operation.

Patrick Conlon, the OIA director, who succeeded Ireland, was on the list of 37 Obama administration officials who either requested that Flynn’s name be unmasked or were shown the unmasked surveillance product.

“Accessing this information without approved and signed attorney general guidelines would violate U.S. persons constitutional rights and civil liberties,” she said.

“IC agencies have to adhere to Executive Order 12333, or as it is known in the community: E.O. 12-Triple-Three. Just because OIA does not have signed guidelines does not give them the power or right to operate as they want, if you want information on a U.S. person then work with the FBI on a Title III, if it is a U.S. person involved with a foreign entity then follow the correct process for a FISA, but without signed AG guidelines you cannot even get started,” she said. Title III refers to the FBI authority to electronically surveil Americans.

Because the intercepts from Flynn’s Dec. 29, 2016 phone call with the Russian ambassador Sergei were captured by an entity other than Treasury, Patrick Conlon, the OIA director, who succeeded Ireland, was on the list of 37 Obama administration officials who either requested that Flynn’s name be unmasked or were shown the unmasked surveillance product.

Conlon accessed the Flynn file Dec. 14, 2016.

There must have been some kind of meeting that day.

None of this is surprising, especially after the Obama IRS’ targeting of conservative groups for two years prior to the 2012 presidential election. We all remember the image of Lois Lerner invoking her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination before Congress.

By 2015-2016, Obama had politicized every government agency. Most, if not all, agencies were led and primarily staffed by bureaucrats who all shared the same goal. That was to prevent Donald Trump from winning the presidency and following his victory, the goal changed to removing him office by any means necessary.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As was stated several times previously, the Trump Administration used Unmasking far more times than did the Obama Administration. 

UNMASKING during the Trump administration. There were

•   9,529 requests in 2017
  • 16,721 in 2018 and
  • 10,012 last year

More importantly, the Obama Administration could have easily torpedoed the Trump campaign by announcing Trump was under investigation by the FBI for his relationship with Russia. Remember, unlike President Obama, Comey made the investigation of Hillary national news. 

However, President Obama was such a class act, who didn't want to interfere in any way with the 2016 election, he kept the FBI investigation a secret to protect the integrity of the election. Of course, that means nothing in the never ending world of Trump Conspiracy Theories.

Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

BY:  Elizabeth Vaughn

Using a blogger as a resource now, I see, @jimc91.

Not even using fringe web sites or fringe media outlets any more, I see, @jimc91.

Oh well.........

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

From the Original Post:

None of this is surprising, especially after the Obama IRS’ targeting of conservative groups for two years prior to the 2012 presidential election. We all remember the image of Lois Lerner invoking her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination before Congress.

By 2015-2016, Obama had politicized every government agency. Most, if not all, agencies were led and primarily staffed by bureaucrats who all shared the same goal. That was to prevent Donald Trump from winning the presidency and following his victory, the goal changed to removing him office by any means necessary.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Obama Administration got caught!

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Notice the new approach.  Just re post part of the old post to waste peoples time. Well just so you did not waste your time here is some real news.

The National Guard was called to Federal service in March to assist with the Virus. It was announced that they would be released from Federal service in June after serving 89 days. Now the law says if they serve 90 days or more on one call up their educational benefits increase, and they get a bump in their retirement benefits.  Trump strikes again. He wants to keep these National Guard Troops from receiving benefits they are entitled to by law. Trump strikes again to hurt people.

Honored Social Butterfly

Since we have a poster determined to steer this thread "off topic", here is a snippet from the Original Posted to move things back on the topic they had rather not discuss:

++++++++++++++++++

President Barack Obama’s Treasury Department regularly surveilled retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn’s financial records and transactions beginning in December 2015 and well into 2017, before, during and after when he served at the White House as President Donald Trump’s National Security Director, a former senior Treasury Department official, and veteran of the intelligence community, told the Star Newspapers.

“I started seeing things that were not correct, so I did my own little investigation, because I wanted to make sure what I was seeing was correct” she said. “You never want to draw attention to something if there is not anything there.”

The whistleblower said she only saw metadata, that is names and dates when the general’s financial records were accessed. “I never saw what they saw.”

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Since this thread is based on something that never happened you can not steer it off topic. Now here is something that has really happened. Trump has dropped all charges against the Russians Muller indited. It looks like he dropped the charges against Rudys two Russian assist also. Some can check that out and let us know details.

Honored Social Butterfly

This is about the 25th time this subject has been started as new so it shows the enablers have not a clue on it.

Here is the main fact once again. NOT ONE TREASURY DEPT. REQUESTED THE UNMASKING OF FLYNN. What they requested was who  was behind the intel intercepts posts they were reading going to Russians they were looking at for spying on the USA. The posts from that person indicated to them that the person was involved in the espionage effort with the Russians being looked at. There request for the name was approved by the court and it was Michael Flynn.

Looks like we had some good intel people on the case as they all picked that up. It also shows E Vaughn is a far right hack writer who does not know her subject or she would have written the truth. Could be she wrote the article for the enablers as they understand none of this.

Honored Social Butterfly

Powerline’s John Hinderaker may have found the answer in an Ohio Star article entitled “The Treasury Department Spied on Flynn, Manafort, and the Trump Family, Says Whistleblower.” The article states:

By March 2016, the whistleblower said she and a colleague, who was detailed to Treasury from the intelligence community, became convinced that the surveillance of Flynn was not tied to legitimate criminal or national security concerns, but was straight-up political surveillance among other illegal activity occurring at Treasury.

“When I showed it to her, what she said, ‘Oh, sh%t!’ and I knew right then and there that I was right – this was some shady stuff,” the whistleblower said.

“It wasn’t just him,” the whistleblower said. “They were targeting other U.S. citizens, as well.”

Only two names are listed in the whistleblower’s official paperwork, so the others must remain sealed, she said. The second name is Paul J. Manafort Jr., the one-time chairman of Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.

The other names include: Members of Congress, the most senior staffers on the 2016 Trump campaign and members of Trump’s family, she said.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here is number 26. The attempt to divert from the truth about 25. Number 26 is pure nonsense from start to finish and shows John is on the same level as the author of the previous article. The enablers never stop. Ok lets go for number 27.

Honored Social Butterfly

In May 2017, she “filed a subsequent complaint with the Office of Special Counsel May 2017.” (This is the permanent office established to work with whistleblowers and is not related to Special Counsel Robert Mueller.) She explained:

This surveillance program was run out of Treasury’s Office of Intelligence Analysis, which was then under the leadership of S. Leslie Ireland. Ireland came to OIA in 2010 after a long tenure at the Central Intelligence Agency and a one-year stint as Obama’s daily in-person intelligence briefer.

The whistleblower said Treasury should never have been part of the unmasking of Flynn, because its surveillance operation was off-the-books. That is to say, the Justice Department never gave the required approval to the Treasury program, and so there were no guidelines, approvals nor reports that would be associated with a DOJ-sanctioned domestic surveillance operation.

Patrick Conlon, the OIA director, who succeeded Ireland, was on the list of 37 Obama administration officials who either requested that Flynn’s name be unmasked or were shown the unmasked surveillance product.

“Accessing this information without approved and signed attorney general guidelines would violate U.S. persons constitutional rights and civil liberties,” she said.

“IC agencies have to adhere to Executive Order 12333, or as it is known in the community: E.O. 12-Triple-Three. Just because OIA does not have signed guidelines does not give them the power or right to operate as they want, if you want information on a U.S. person then work with the FBI on a Title III, if it is a U.S. person involved with a foreign entity then follow the correct process for a FISA, but without signed AG guidelines you cannot even get started,” she said. Title III refers to the FBI authority to electronically surveil Americans.

Because the intercepts from Flynn’s Dec. 29, 2016 phone call with the Russian ambassador Sergei were captured by an entity other than Treasury, Patrick Conlon, the OIA director, who succeeded Ireland, was on the list of 37 Obama administration officials who either requested that Flynn’s name be unmasked or were shown the unmasked surveillance product.

Conlon accessed the Flynn file Dec. 14, 2016.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well number 27. This time even the authors name is not given. Wounder if that means there is no author just a sentence or two gathered from many articles and thrown together to make it look like an article. Nothing in this collection is true. They  are now using Treasury in place of Biden and others, and now even telling us it was not legal because Treasury did it. So Treasury replaced Biden or the material was mixed up when this was put together.  Well lets see what the next try brings.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png