It’s open enrollment season for Affordable Care Act health insurance! Here are 11 things you need to know.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Here's A Mass Murder That Should Not Be Forgotten

Message 11 of 33

We need to include all victims of 9/11. The first responders and others who were at ground zero need help and assistance. And currently their needs are not being meet. Perhaps trump might address this issue. 

And as in any tragedy which has occurred, it’s not only those who have passed, but all others who were injured or affected. 

Never Forget

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 33
Why are some mass murders never to be forgotten while others are to be ignored?...............................Maybe you can answer your question since you brought it up. The post about thousands being killed on 9/11 should in no way take away the fact of any other murder. I just chose that one. Feel free to post regarding any others you choose.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 33

No mass murder should be forgotten. As a country we should look at every murder with the idea of preventing similar types in the future.

Why are some mass murders never to be forgotten while others are to be ignored?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 33

@cm9889168  It’s not about focusing on the negative. It’s about acknowledging the negative along with the positive. If you sweep it under the rug, you invalidate the experience of many Americans, and you provide for a distorted view of history. 

Being a Pollyanna about history does nobody any good. 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 33

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

Cars rode with the American flag for days after this attack.  People were as one.

The saddest part I feel other than the loss of all these people, is that a prediction I made out loud came true.  I said at the time I wondered how long this type of becoming one nation, flying out flag proudly could last.  Unfortunately, not long.

I don't know about your neighborhood, but Soosie is 100% right about coming together.  Everywhere I went, and in my own community American Flags were flying...and a whole lot of people have their flags flying at their homes all the time still today....because we won't let them be forgotten.  It's seems to be only those who look for the negative in everything who will pick our patriotism apart.  It could be 10% out of 500 people who have felt the anger of someone from 9-11 and that negative person will pounce on it and make it sound like we're NOT united...I'll stick with those who look for the best in people and not the worst. 

Good Job Soosie.

"Love in spite of the many reasons to hate."  MLK

We weren’t as one, though. We turned against each other. Hate crimes spiked against American Muslims.  Partularly at gas stations and 7-11s where many immigrants worked. Balbir Sodhi was killed just days later at his gas station. A Sikh mistaken for a Muslim because he wore a turban and had a beard. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/14/647426417/people-saw-only-a-turban-and-a-beard-reflecting-on-a-post-s...

That’s why all those American flag stickers showed up soon after on gas station windows and cash registers. At 7-11 and Dunkin Donuts. Not out of a display of patriotism, although the workers and owners likely were very patriotic. But they had a much more practical reason. To protect minority workers from other Americans.

Look at hate crimes against Muslims in 2001 and now. 

Which is worse? Foreigners attacking Americans or Americans attacking Americans? 

DDBC80BC-A85F-4E32-81CF-8930388DD265.png

9/11 was horrible and inexcusable. But what we do to our own is pretty horrible too.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 33

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:

When I posted this, I knew who carried out this act, but I did not mention them because I meant for it to be about those photos of the people who died.  I didn't want anything to take away from those people. and their lives, hopes, dreams, future. 

I want nothing to "take away" anything from all of those people or their families.  Too bad a Republican president didn't think the same by taking us into Iraq instead of going after who was responsible.  But you just can't miss a chance to spew the hate again...why is it ALWAYS diversion when someone voices an opinion of their own feelings.  If one doesn't like it in the least they have to attack the 'other side'.  I really have to wonder the age of those so filled with hate that they can't have just an exchange of ideas without it.

Now that the door has been opened for futher dialogue, what I saw immediately following this attack was a group of people banding together.  Hatred seemed to be put aside.  Our beloved country was under attack.  There were heros who saved others.  There were heros who gave their life for others.  There was a  plane carrying many heros who gave their lives to take down the enemy.  Cars rode with the American flag for days after this attack.  People were as one.

Patriots, all of them, our Republican president then could have been a patriot too, by going after who attacked us instead of going into Iraq for personal reasons.  That's it, attack, hate, attack.  Our Republican president DID go after 'who attacked us'.  He can do both in order to accomplish that goal...and he did.  Pres Bush set in play the plans to get Bin Laden and it was followed.  I thanked Pres Bush for laying out the plans when Obomba took the credit for it after he hesitated.  All he did was follow the plans that were already in force by Pres Bush.

The saddest part I feel other than the loss of all these people, is that a prediction I made out loud came true.  I said at the time I wondered how long this type of becoming one nation, flying out flag proudly could last.  Unfortunately, not long.

Yep, unfortunately not long. First we got sidetracked by Bush Jr taking us into Iraq instead of going after the Saudis and Bin Laden. Then when Obama was elected, the Tea Party formed and the division started.  There ya go again, passing the buck.  The Tea Party was formed because people were tired of the Alt-Left and the Conservatives not getting it done.

So here we are back to a hate filled country, a divided country and no common ground or goals.  We  have  people with obsessions rather than goals and even dreams. Yep, like some are obsessed with bashing anything but ultra conservative viewpoints.. We have people sitting all day surfing the internet for whatever piece of trash of the day  from the media that they think gets under someone's skin.  And you are also here. These are people who don't seem to explore what they can do for others or their country.  So do you know what everyone here does or does not do for our country? We have self absorbed people who think the rest of the world owes them something.  And who are "they"?  I have to question why you take this so personal...I didn't see your name mentioned..or maybe you feel you are part of it?

So, as I see it, there was the horrible attack that day carried out because of hatred. Yes, because of the hatred that some Saudi terrorists had for America, not Muslims, but Saudi terrorists.  Now, there is one being carried out by the very citizens of our country who should be honoring it. And who has carried out the majority of the attacks you refer to? Do you mean like the KKK member or supporter who used his vehicle to kill a lady and injure dozens, or like the trump supporter who sent faulty bombs to a bunch of Dems?  That's it...let it all out...24/7...24/7

So, for those of you with obsessive behavior, I suppose this can only lead to Trump in your mind. Then I must not have "obsessive behavior". If it does, it tells me you are a weak person who can't move forward and are only a handicapp to yourself.  

"Love is stronger than hate"

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 33

@ManicProgressive 

Very good perspective and well put indeed. I have to agree with Fred. 

@alferdpacker 

Great cartoon with a lot of past and current symbolism. 

Never Forget 9/11

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 33

Thank you @FredSmif . 😊

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 33

Thank you, ManicProgressive.

This has been one of the most well-reasoned, informative posts on any topic in this forum. Nice!

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I’ve lived in the Middle East. I think it’s safe to say most people don’t really care about the US. Most are poor, uneducated farmers and tribesmen who just work to survive each day. Those in educated city centers follow US news, of course. And have varied opinions. Generally speaking. Arabs hate US foreign  policy but like Americans.  That’s my personal experience and that’s what the data say. 

When our politicians say we were attacked because they hate our freedom and way of life, that is either a complete lie or a complete misunderstanding of the issue. Terrorism is best viewed through a political lens. People who feel disenfranchised and powerless to effect change in their society are more likely to resort to violence. Including terrorism.  We were attacked because of our foreign policy choices in the Middle East. Our constant support for policies that prop up middle eastern dictators, ostensiby to further our economic interests. But at the real cost of oppression by those same dictators. 

Nobody ever said all Saudis are good. But I will say most do not mean us any harm. People here have rightly said the royal Saudi family has supported and financed terrorism against the US. The royals need to cater to the fundamentalists in their country in order to stay in power. They care more about their power retention than their people. And we do continue to cater to the royal Saudi family, again to protect our economic interests. We (our government) does nothing to break the cycle of exploitation and oppression. 

The need to block Muslims from entering America is a fake attempt at appeasing Americans so that our exploitation can continue. The exploitation is not a Republican or Democratic thing. It’s both of them. And has been historically, since oil was discovered. But demonizing Muslims and middle eastern nationals is a Republican thing. It won’t address the fundamental problem, and may even exacerbate it.   In other words, bias and discrimination don’t make us safer. They have the exact opposite effect. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 33

I’ve lived in the Middle East. I think it’s safe to say most people don’t really care about the US. Most are poor, uneducated farmers and tribesmen who just work to survive each day. Those in educated city centers follow US news, of course. And have varied opinions. Generally speaking. Arabs hate US foreign  policy but like Americans.  That’s my personal experience and that’s what the data say. 

When our politicians say we were attacked because they hate our freedom and way of life, that is either a complete lie or a complete misunderstanding of the issue. Terrorism is best viewed through a political lens. People who feel disenfranchised and powerless to effect change in their society are more likely to resort to violence. Including terrorism.  We were attacked because of our foreign policy choices in the Middle East. Our constant support for policies that prop up middle eastern dictators, ostensiby to further our economic interests. But at the real cost of oppression by those same dictators. 

Nobody ever said all Saudis are good. But I will say most do not mean us any harm. People here have rightly said the royal Saudi family has supported and financed terrorism against the US. The royals need to cater to the fundamentalists in their country in order to stay in power. They care more about their power retention than their people. And we do continue to cater to the royal Saudi family, again to protect our economic interests. We (our government) does nothing to break the cycle of exploitation and oppression. 

The need to block Muslims from entering America is a fake attempt at appeasing Americans so that our exploitation can continue. The exploitation is not a Republican or Democratic thing. It’s both of them. And has been historically, since oil was discovered. But demonizing Muslims and middle eastern nationals is a Republican thing. It won’t address the fundamental problem, and may even exacerbate it.   In other words, bias and discrimination don’t make us safer. They have the exact opposite effect. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22