Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Here's A Mass Murder That Should Not Be Forgotten

Message 1 of 33

9-11 was a tragedy, but the greater tragedy was those needless deaths (less than 3,000) were used to start TWO endless wars that have killed 5,000 brave Americans, maimed another 50,000 and left 2,000,000 with PTSD while pouring $5 TRILLION down a rathole instead of rebuilding our infrastructure and educating our next generation of leaders.

And lets not forget jrbush's vile needless wars have also killed over 300,000 CIVILIANS. Virtually every citizen of Iraq and Afghanistan has a relative who died, so their attitude toward those who began these wars is less than charitable and has recruited more terrorists to the ranks of ISIS and the Taliban than the State of Israel.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 33

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@cm9889168   “People of color” is the modern term for minority. Anyone who isn’t white. It’s more accurate because there are many places in America where people of color are no longer the minority. Whites are the minority. And our entire country will reflect that eventually.

People say they are fine with legal immigrants. But many Trump policies attack legal immigrants, too. Since most legal immigrants since 1980 have been people of color, it makes you wonder.

"People of color" has always been in reference to the Black/African American race.  If they now include the Mexicans, Indians, Asians (and more) they are not all the same race so it's not correct to lump them all together...and some who are also half black, half Indian, half Mexican, half Asian, etc. in a great many families.  I don't know any of those other races who refer to themselves as "people of color".

I also personally don't know anyone who is NOT 'fine with legal immigrants' since many of our ancestors were legal immigrants. I'd seriously like to see a factual link where you got that information and also about Pres. Trump's attacking the LEGAL immigrants.

Pres Bush brought the immigrants to America who (IMO) were in most need and most deserving.  The Lost Boys of Sudan - they didn't want a handout or to be supported by Americans. All they wanted was an education so they could support themselves...and they did.  They all learned how to speak English in the camps in Kenya before coming to our country.  How many other immigrants who have been in our country for years even KNOW English?  The Lost Boys wanted to become Americans. 

There are many books about the Lost Boys with different personal stories of survival.  A good one is called "They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky".  It's a true acknowledgement to the strength of the Human Spirit.  The books are very hard to read for some because of what these children had to endure.  Some were forced to be Boy Soldiers.

There are still many more grown Lost Boys hoping to come to America, and I keep wondering why they only focus on the Mexican people who want to come across our borders illegally when there are so many Lost Boys who want to come to America legally.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 33

jrbush missed 9-11 because he had diverted all our intelligence resorces to finding an excuse to invade Iraq and grab the oil. Our Afghani allies (the Northern Coalition) had defeated the Taliban and taken control of the country with the help of American battlefield intell and minimal ground support.

When his Army Chief of Staff told jr we would need at least 130,000 troops in Iraq to keep the peace after we toppled Saddam, jr fired him and went with SECDEF lil ronny dumbsfeld's guess of 60,000, based on nothing more than a desire to validate the decision they had already made. Even that absurdly low figure required pulling our forces out of Afghanistan, which allowed the Taliban to regroup and wage a civil war that's still going on today.

The civil war that erupted in Iraq because we did not have the force to prevent it continues to this day as well.

POINT: Never elect a gutless draft-dodging preppytwit and allow him to lie you into two worthless never-ending wars, no matter how many civilians their incompetence kills to beat the Drums of War. Republicans did this TWICE and cannot be allowed to continue into wars with Iran and Venezuela.

PENCE 2019

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 33

Here's A Mass Murder That Should Not Be Forgotten

Or exploited.

I think it was terrible 9/11 was used to stampede the nation into endless war with nations that had nothing to do with 9/11.

That the American people were lied to by their own government about who was responsible and what the threats were.

That  nations that did have a hand in it, Saudi Arabia for one, were not only protected, but they were defended , and now it looks like Trump is going to give Saudi Arabia plutonium though nuclear power generation so they can build their own nuclear weapons.

About 5000 US troops killed, over 40,000 US troops as casualties.

About 800,000 to 1,000,000 civilian casualties in the Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria wars.

The Republican / Bush War on Terror created about 3 million refugees, many ended up in Europe, and threaten it's stability.

That war and refugee crisis continues to this day, eighteen years later.

That is the cost in blood,

The cost in treasure is 22 trillion US dollars

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 33

@ChasKy53 wrote:

No, it should not be forgotten and it never will.

It should also not be forgotten that almost all of those that carried out the 911 attack were Saudis, funded by a Saudi prince.

Ahh...the book, "House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties" by Craig Unger is almost a secret crime to even post such a book!  But, to declare a lie out of deception isn't,  no?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 33

@cm9889168   “People of color” is the modern term for minority. Anyone who isn’t white. It’s more accurate because there are many places in America where people of color are no longer the minority. Whites are the minority. And our entire country will reflect that eventually.

People say they are fine with legal immigrants. But many Trump policies attack legal immigrants, too. Since most legal immigrants since 1980 have been people of color, it makes you wonder.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 33

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@cm9889168 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@cm9889168  It’s not about focusing on the negative. It’s about acknowledging the negative along with the positive. If you sweep it under the rug, you invalidate the experience of many Americans, and you provide for a distorted view of history. 

Being a Pollyanna about history does nobody any good. 

I agree it shouldn't be about focusing on the negative, but when the majority of comments seem to be negative it becomes tiresome and sad.  No one is sweeping anything under the rug, the Left does an excellent job of putting that out there...and THAT can distort history also without seeing the good.  Some may think that it invalidates the experience of many Americans, but many do not see it that way.

I'm wondering if you're able to post your opinon without name calling?  "Pollyanna"?  

Pollyanna
  1. an excessively cheerful or optimistic person.
    But I'll take it...I'd rather be a cheerful, optimistic person than the opposite.

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling...but in rising each time we fall!"

You responded to my post.  Not all the others. And my post was attempting to show that being “as one” was not the entire American experience. That those Americans of color who were scared to walk around because their brethren were being attacked, their businesses threatened with firebombings, and at least one killed, had a completely different experience. 

Their experience is valid too. Their experience matters. Failure to take this seriously and in context, IMO, is what started and perpetuates the whole modern anti-immigrant movement. 

If we claim to be patriotic, we need to care about all Americans. Not just the ones who look like us.  How many of us reached out to our Arab and South Asian friends the days after 9/11 and asked them if they were doing ok? 

I'm not sure which of your posts you wanted me to respond to.  I don't have the time to respond to all the posts I read.  When you say "Americans of color" yes, Americans come in many colors so I'm not sure what you mean.  I don't see color, and if anyone I know is hurting (and I know about it) I will help them.  But no one can help anyone if they don't somehow let them know, or if they want to keep it to themselves.  

All I remember about 9/11 is EVERYONE was shocked, worried, scared, and hurting; and we just ALL helped each other get through the awful attack on our country...and that was an 'American experience' for us.

I don't know anyone who is anti-immigration...maybe it's different where you live or who your friends are....but most of the people I know (and myself) are in favor of immigration, but against illegal immigration....they should come in 'legally' like my ancestors did.  If our borders are not controlled (so we know who is coming in) then we'll have more of the evil types who killed all those 'Americans' on 9-11, not to mention the diseases they bring to Americans if they aren't checked out first.  They don't get immunizations like American children do.  

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."  Mark Twain

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 33

@cm9889168 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@cm9889168  It’s not about focusing on the negative. It’s about acknowledging the negative along with the positive. If you sweep it under the rug, you invalidate the experience of many Americans, and you provide for a distorted view of history. 

I agree it shouldn't be about focusing on the negative, but when the majority of comments seem to be negative it becomes tiresome and sad.  No one is sweeping anything under the rug, the Left does an excellent job of putting that out there...and THAT can distort history also without seeing the good.  Some may think that it invalidates the experience of many Americans, but many do not see it that way.

I'm wondering if you're able to post your opinon without name calling?  "Pollyanna"?  

Pollyanna
    But I'll take it...I'd rather be a cheerful, optimistic person than the opposite.

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling...but in rising each time we fall!"

You responded to my post.  Not all the others. And my post was attempting to show that being “as one” was not the entire American experience. That those Americans of color who were scared to walk around because their brethren were being attacked, their businesses threatened with firebombings, and at least one killed, had a completely different experience. 

Their experience is valid too. Their experience matters. Failure to take this seriously and in context, IMO, is what started and perpetuates the whole modern anti-immigrant movement. 

If we claim to be patriotic, we need to care about all Americans. Not just the ones who look like us.  How many of us reached out to our Arab and South Asian friends the days after 9/11 and asked them if they were doing ok? 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 33

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Pollyanna

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 33

Here’s something we can all agree on.

Congress needs to fund the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, which hasn’t been renewed. Jon Stewart is advocating for a new bill that will make the fund permanent.  Write or call your Congress person now.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-what-911-heroes-need-from-congress-20190222-story.html

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors