Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Health care from Medicare / Medicaid cuts

Message 1 of 3

@ManicProgressive wrote:

No idea. I was talking to a friend about retiring to a rural area.....where she’s from. She told me to be careful where I choose, because I might have to drive a couple hours “to get any medical services.” Crazy. 

Not crazy. I live in a rural state and area, but I live in  the city in that area. There are people who have to drive close to 100 miles to find a good super market. The city I live in is the shopping center for the area. On weekends the number of people in the city can go from about 50,000 to 100,000. We have one hospital which does a great job. It has its own airforce. Chopper and fixed wing. Runs para medic service for most of the area. If you have an auto accident at the county line you are close to 125 miles to the hospital. They use chopper. The people who live rural for the most part like it so just check your area. You might like it to.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Health care from Medicare / Medicaid cuts

Message 2 of 3

No idea. I was talking to a friend about retiring to a rural area.....where she’s from. She told me to be careful where I choose, because I might have to drive a couple hours “to get any medical services.” Crazy. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Health care from Medicare / Medicaid cuts

Message 3 of 3

Rural communitys are already facing problems keeping hospitals open.  

More than 20% of our nation’s rural hospitals, or 430 hospitals across 43 states, are near collapse. This is despite the fact that rural hospitals are not only crucial for health care but also survival of their small rural communities. Since 2010, 113 rural hospitals across the country have closed, with 18% being in Texas, where we live.

About 41% of rural hospitals nationally operate at a negative margin, meaning they lose more money than they earn from operations. Texas and Mississippi had the highest number of economically vulnerable facilities, according to a national health care finance report in 2016.

As rural health researchers, we’re well aware of the scope of rural hospitals woes’, which span the entire country. Struggling rural hospitals reflect some of the problems with the U.S. health care system overall, in that the poor often struggle to have access to care and there are few obvious solutions to controlling rising costs.

If 20% of America lives in a rural county, why is the nation so slow to address rural health disparities?

Meanwhile FEDs in DC are continuing to cut Medicare / Medicaid payments, but not to worry, it is a mere $4B.    Under the Medicaid DSH program, hospitals that serve a large number of Medicaid and uninsured patients receive payments to help cover the costs of caring for them. Assuming that uncompensated care costs would decline as the number of insured people increased under the health law, the ACA lowered Medicaid payments to hospitals that serve a disproportionate share of low-income patients.

Oh wait, the Senate almost demonstrated logic as they kicked the can down the road - elections and closed hospitals in States that failed to sign up to expand Medicaid might not vote red in the 2020.    So GOP led Senate will wait until after that election to underfund healthcare.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors