Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Health Insurance, not health care

Message 1 of 28

@sp362 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@s761539r wrote:

Lower income people aren't buying insurance they are being given free healthcare.  That's not bad, but it is my point.  Liberals want the government (you) to turn the country into a VA hospital. 

NO, that's not true. Liberals want a tax based national single payer health care plan, not "turn the country into a VA Hospital"

Chasky, there are plenty conservatives who also see single payer as the way to go.  According to a gallup poll from last year, 41% of Republicans think it is a good idea.  Since in the long run, it would be cheaper, I would hope that most fiscal conservatives would end up supporting it.

Unfortunately 41% of the Republicans in Washington aren't in faver of a single payer plan.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 28

@s761539r wrote:

Sorry, I've managed to confuse my message.  I AM NOT AGAINST SS OR MEDICARE. And I never said I was. 

Don't tell me this debate is about insurance.  It's about free (taxpayer funded) healthcare.

That is even more confusing. Why would anyone be against our federal SS organization? I can understand being against one or more of the programs it manages, but the organization?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 28

@s761539r wrote:

Sorry, I've managed to confuse my message.  I AM NOT AGAINST SS OR MEDICARE. And I never said I was. 

Don't tell me this debate is about insurance.  It's about free (taxpayer funded) healthcare.

So.........explain this to me.  Every other top 20 economic nation has government guaranteed healthcare (insurance.............whatever). Ours is the most expensive and NOT the most effective by any measure. Why do we continute to support  a system that does not give us the best healthcare for all citzens but costs more than any of the other systems?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 28

@s761539r wrote:

Why do you consider tax payer funded to be the same as free?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 28

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@s761539r wrote:

Lower income people aren't buying insurance they are being given free healthcare.  That's not bad, but it is my point.  Liberals want the government (you) to turn the country into a VA hospital. 

NO, that's not true. Liberals want a tax based national single payer health care plan, not "turn the country into a VA Hospital"

Chasky, there are plenty conservatives who also see single payer as the way to go.  According to a gallup poll from last year, 41% of Republicans think it is a good idea.  Since in the long run, it would be cheaper, I would hope that most fiscal conservatives would end up supporting it.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 28

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 28

@sp362 wrote:

@s761539r wrote:

Apparently you haven't been near an ER lately.  Still filled with the same people pre Obamacare.

Liberals don't shoot themselves in the foot, they understand you have to shoot 'the rich'.  There is no money in the trust fund.  Every dollar that is paid in FICA goes out immediately.  Which is why SS is in big trouble.

Still it is a pleasure to discuss issues without the name calling and swearing.  Respect is everything.

I think you are missing some of the points in this thread.  A lot of us (myself included) don't consider our healthcare good or cost effective.  When you look at the richest countries in the world, we spend the most and have the worst results.  There has to be a better system than the one we are currently using.

Yep, that would be a single payer national health care plan.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 28

@s761539r wrote:

Liberals don't shoot themselves in the foot, they understand you have to shoot 'the rich'.  There is no money in the trust fund.  Every dollar that is paid in FICA goes out immediately.  Which is why SS is in big trouble.

The money in the SS Trust Fund was put into the general fund, thus bonds went in the SS Trust Fund. If Reagan had not cut out the top ten tax brackets, cut the top TMR in half, and Capital Gains from 25% to 15%, we would have had enough surplus to have paid back what was borrowed from the SS fund. Th n Bush Jr. came along and cut taxes further and put us into an unfunded war, borrowing more.  Of course the wealthiest need to pay more in taxes

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 28

It is true that we have all paid into mecicare and social secutity, but these programs are subsidized by the government and are a huge part of the budget.

Realistically, Anyone  who is working is helping subsidize medicare and  social security, right down to the 16 year old kid flipping burgers.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 28

@s761539r wrote:

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors