Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Health Care

Message 1 of 10

Because the ACA expanded Medicaid's ability to supply MORE Home and Community Based services, almost ALL states are moving in that direction. 

That's not what is going on in this story, this is an eviction due to a lack of funding.

"We cannot provide services with no money to pay for them," agency Secretary Dr. Rebekah Gee told reporters Wednesday.

If they were sending patients home with alternate care they would have said we are providing them with services at home, not "We cannot provide services with no money to pay for them," .

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

What can you do?    Write letters.  Call the office.    It appears that you may have a MoC that does want to gut all Social Services ( TANF is being attacked in current Farm Bill) and many State legislatures are pushing their own drastic cuts.

If your elected official is retiring - call your Senators and pester them and their offices.   

Write Letters to the Editor of your local paper.

Find a political or other local activist  group that supports keeping and improving Social Safety Net and work / volunteer to work with them.    The more that we show up,  the more it scares those who believe that they are "safe".

You know it is working when you put on a protest shirt, have a protest poster and go to a Republican office....and they have to let you in and speak your piece.   Engage in conversation, not just a one-sided conversation.    When they try and argue, take notes, if you don't have an immediate answer, go home, do some home-work and then return.   (Wash and Repeat).    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

I will agree with you.  that only the individuals that don't have a soul that can help them perhaps they need to be at a nursing home.

Otherwise, it is much better to obtain the services of a caregiver that will come to your home and do the things that you need. and that allows you to stay at home. I believe that Medicare provides some nursing services that can come to your home.
The amount of money that these nursing home charge for what they offer their patients is not only ridiculous but not worth it.

no name
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@gruffstuffwrote:

I know people that have worked hard all their lives, have put money into Social Security AND have IRA's, and savings accounts but it has ALL been  depleted by medical costs.

$ 2000 a week for a nursing home burns though the savings of the vast majority of Americans quickly.After Medicare  is exhausted. Is that 21 days? Medicaid kicks in, or it used to. A lot of children these days still depend on their parents to help them, how are those children going to be able to care for parents evicted from nursing homes.

For what ?

Tax cuts for billionaires?

Because the ACA expanded Medicaid's ability to supply MORE Home and Community Based services, almost ALL states are moving in that direction.  The system saves money this way and it frees up nursing homes for those who need it.  Hopefully, making the system better and gives seniors and the disabled a chance to stay in their homes, at least as long as possible.

To support seniors’ desire to “age in place,” policymakers will continue to draw on the Medicaid options to provide HCBS, including those added and expanded by the ACA, while also considering how to increase the supply of community-based providers and affordable housing.

A win-win for all of us.  Remember, states control their Medicaid programs with only oversite, waiver approval and matching funds from the Federal level.  With millions and millions of baby boomer's aging up and up, we have to do something because there aren't even enough nursing homes for the demand regardless of who is actually the payer - self, LTC insurance or Medicaid.

Expanding Home and Community Based Services and Support, increased use of telemedicine, we are attempting to supply this demand without breaking the bank for anybody.  

BTW! Seniors, the disabled, the AARP and other groups support this effort.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I know people that have worked hard all their lives, have put money into Social Security AND have IRA's, and savings accounts but it has ALL been  depleted by medical costs.

$ 2000 a week for a nursing home burns though the savings of the vast majority of Americans quickly.After Medicare  is exhausted. Is that 21 days? Medicaid kicks in, or it used to. A lot of children these days still depend on their parents to help them, how are those children going to be able to care for parents evicted from nursing homes.

For what ?

Tax cuts for billionaires?

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I'm very glad to see you bring up the importance of Medicaid. The overwhelming news I hear from AARP is about Medicare. I'm concerned about Medicare also but most of the cuts are to Medicaid. Medicare does not pay for several things including long term care or in home health service that people need to stay independent. The example you cite is what happens when Medicaid isn't funded. I know people that have worked hard all their lives, have put money into Social Security AND have IRA's, and savings accounts but it has ALL been  depleted by medical costs. Only then does Medicaid step in and cover these costs at least partly. These seniors are definitely not moochers but I'm afraid that a lot of seniors don't realize that this is what happens. My brother is in this position currently and it makes me very angry!
I want to see AARP speak up against this and encourage folks to fight for Medicare AND Medicaid cuts.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

I am very concerned about these things every day. 

You should be.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/more-than-30000-nursing-home-eviction-notices-to-be-sent-in-louisi...

More than 30,000 nursing home eviction notices to be sent in Louisiana

Louisiana’s Department of Health will begin sending nursing home eviction notices Thursday to more than 30,000 residents who could lose Medicaid under the budget passed by the state House of Representatives.

“The Louisiana Department of Health is beginning the process of notifying all impacted enrollees that some people may lose their Medicaid eligibility,” Department of Health spokesman Bob Johannessen said. “The goal of the department is to give notice to all affected people as soon as possible in order that they begin developing their appropriate plans.”

This stuff goes right back to Republicans and Paul Ryan, they call it entitlement reform. This is where cuts to Medicaid show up.

Grannies with dementia living under a bridge.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@CarolC304449wrote:

Medicare and Social Security.  This is my first time on here so please forgive me if this has been rehashed many times.  Today I found a notice from Paul Ryan in my email account.  It was concerning cuts to Medicare.  I realize not everyone is concerned about health care for the elderly.  Since I am not a Senior Citizen, this is critical to me.  I worked in the Administration and Direction of Manufacturing for my entire 40 year career.  Of course I always paid into Social Security, taxes, medical insurance, etc.  Now that I am a Senior, I am very concerned that these things for which we have paid and not "benefits" are going to shrink and eventually dissolve during our Senior Years.  Is there any movement or way to stop those who feel we are deserving of these things?  I am sorry that I am new on here and nervous about posting but I am very concerned about these things every day.  Thank you

Welcome to this forum.  You did fine.  From what you said, I think you will find the majority of people here are concerned with the same things you are.  Not all.  Some posters are here to disrupt rational discussion for the sole purpose of advancing a propaganda agenda.  Stick around, you'll soon see what I mean.  You will have allies if you feel attacked for your views. They will help defend your right to express your opinion and concerns.  Try not to respond to the disruptors in kind.  They try to goad you into doing that and then claim you are abusing them. But...again, you'll soon see what I mean.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

CarolC304449:  Medicare and Social Security.  This is my first time on here so please forgive me if this has been rehashed many times.  Today I found a notice from Paul Ryan in my email account.  It was concerning cuts to Medicare.  I realize not everyone is concerned about health care for the elderly.  Since I am not a Senior Citizen, this is critical to me.  I worked in the Administration and Direction of Manufacturing for my entire 40 year career.  Of course I always paid into Social Security, taxes, medical insurance, etc.  Now that I am a Senior, I am very concerned that these things for which we have paid and not "benefits" are going to shrink and eventually dissolve during our Senior Years.  Is there any movement or way to stop those who feel we are deserving of these things?  I am sorry that I am new on here and nervous about posting but I am very concerned about these things every day.  Thank you

Welcome CarolC, you did fine with your post. Not surprised you got this from Paul Ryan as it's been a long time goal to privatize (end as we know it) Medicare. Fortunately, he's retiring, but others in the Republican party want to do the same. Also fortunately, Medicare is hugely popular and will be hard to kill. All I can say is to find out the positions of your representatives and vote accordingly.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Health Care

Message 10 of 10

Medicare and Social Security.  This is my first time on here so please forgive me if this has been rehashed many times.  Today I found a notice from Paul Ryan in my email account.  It was concerning cuts to Medicare.  I realize not everyone is concerned about health care for the elderly.  Since I am not a Senior Citizen, this is critical to me.  I worked in the Administration and Direction of Manufacturing for my entire 40 year career.  Of course I always paid into Social Security, taxes, medical insurance, etc.  Now that I am a Senior, I am very concerned that these things for which we have paid and not "benefits" are going to shrink and eventually dissolve during our Senior Years.  Is there any movement or way to stop those who feel we are deserving of these things?  I am sorry that I am new on here and nervous about posting but I am very concerned about these things every day.  Thank you

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Jeopardy!® for AARP Tournament! Play now until Jan. 17 for a chance to win up to $500 from AARP. See Rules.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors