From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

 

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
158
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

158 Views
Message 11 of 54

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Try to focus on either socialized medicine or "free" university education.


Let's see...which one is the subject of the thread......oh right NEITHER. 

 

This was about the fact that screaming "He's a socialist" today has about the same impact as screaming "He's Irish".  And why?  Because what the conservatives call Socialism (it really is not) is rapidly being favored by the millennial and following generations. And why is that, you ask.  Because the countries using universal health care and universal secondary education are doing better than America.  Tough to argue with success, eh? 


And when the government says "free" with regard to a service to the people (actually government provided by wealth redistribution) they are offering a socialist program. So, they really are related to shouting "socialist" - but not "Irish".


You seem to be making up your own definition of Socialist.  Could you point me to where anyone in the government called a service  like, oh the military, roads, public schools, or health care "free"? Only Conservatives use that term to describe government funded programs. 

 

When John F. Kennedy ran for the White House we heard "But he is Catholic" and "But he is Irish" as two reasons to vote Republican.  Now the new phrase is "But he is a Socialist" and it is having the same effect on new voters. Why? Because all those "Socialist" (Republican term) programs in other countries have been so successful.  Tough to argue with success. 


Anti- Irish and Catholic reflect bias. Anti-Socialist reflects differing political ideologies.

 

Free military - he defense of the nation is the proper role of the government. 

 

Free roads - a way for the nation and it's economy to grow.

 

Free education (as it is) - prepares children to be adults.

 

All that is far different from any "free" which (for example) is means tested. Higher education - prepares students for what? The lower grade are fairly standard understanding of the basics for adulthood. But university?

 

My problem with the sort of "frees" currently under discussion is that they create a dependency on government that pose a danger to freedom.

 

Denmark is held as an example that works. The literacy rate in Denmark for 15 and above is about 99%.  Before we try to emulate their higher education system, we should probably try to figure out how to emulate their lower education system.


And their health Care (less money, better outcomes), and their childcare for all, and their retirement plan, and their elder care............gee. America really is slipping into the stone age while trying to compete with these nations. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
158
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
171
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

171 Views
Message 12 of 54

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:


Why do Conservatives think that as soon as the government manages something it becomes "free"?  

 

When you say "no one" aren't you leaving out the billions of people in other developed countries who have such a system with lower costs and better outcomes?  How about the millions of Americans who voted for Hillary and Sanders with the understanding they would save the ACA? 

 

Finally, would someone please point me to the link outlining how the party-of-no will provide health care to all our residents?  Perhaps they plan to mail out a $5 off coupon on their first doctor's visit?  

 


Do you really think that all public school students in the 1950s and 1960s were directed to certain classes and fields where they could repay society for their education? 


Public schools are still free. The subject is "free" higher education.


Another GOPer LIE. Since Reagan took the money from Revenue sharing and gave it to the Uberrich, parents have had to PAY hundreds of dollars each session to RENT textbooks, buy supplies, and pay more hundreds for their child to participate in any activities at the school. All this because Republicans keep refusing to tax those who can pay without changing their lifestlye and insist the burden of running the country fall on those who will suffer the most.

 

America was NOT a Socialist State when Ike was President and the American Standard of Living was the envy of the World. Nothing has changed that cannot be UNchanged if we get rid of the Party of NO that has replaced the GOP.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
171
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
168
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

168 Views
Message 13 of 54

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Try to focus on either socialized medicine or "free" university education.


Let's see...which one is the subject of the thread......oh right NEITHER. 

 

This was about the fact that screaming "He's a socialist" today has about the same impact as screaming "He's Irish".  And why?  Because what the conservatives call Socialism (it really is not) is rapidly being favored by the millennial and following generations. And why is that, you ask.  Because the countries using universal health care and universal secondary education are doing better than America.  Tough to argue with success, eh? 


And when the government says "free" with regard to a service to the people (actually government provided by wealth redistribution) they are offering a socialist program. So, they really are related to shouting "socialist" - but not "Irish".


You seem to be making up your own definition of Socialist.  Could you point me to where anyone in the government called a service  like, oh the military, roads, public schools, or health care "free"? Only Conservatives use that term to describe government funded programs. 

 

When John F. Kennedy ran for the White House we heard "But he is Catholic" and "But he is Irish" as two reasons to vote Republican.  Now the new phrase is "But he is a Socialist" and it is having the same effect on new voters. Why? Because all those "Socialist" (Republican term) programs in other countries have been so successful.  Tough to argue with success. 


Anti- Irish and Catholic reflect bias. Anti-Socialist reflects differing political ideologies.

 

Free military - he defense of the nation is the proper role of the government. 

 

Free roads - a way for the nation and it's economy to grow.

 

Free education (as it is) - prepares children to be adults.

 

All that is far different from any "free" which (for example) is means tested. Higher education - prepares students for what? The lower grade are fairly standard understanding of the basics for adulthood. But university?

 

My problem with the sort of "frees" currently under discussion is that they create a dependency on government that pose a danger to freedom.

 

Denmark is held as an example that works. The literacy rate in Denmark for 15 and above is about 99%.  Before we try to emulate their higher education system, we should probably try to figure out how to emulate their lower education system.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
168
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
175
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

175 Views
Message 14 of 54

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Try to focus on either socialized medicine or "free" university education.


Let's see...which one is the subject of the thread......oh right NEITHER. 

 

This was about the fact that screaming "He's a socialist" today has about the same impact as screaming "He's Irish".  And why?  Because what the conservatives call Socialism (it really is not) is rapidly being favored by the millennial and following generations. And why is that, you ask.  Because the countries using universal health care and universal secondary education are doing better than America.  Tough to argue with success, eh? 


And when the government says "free" with regard to a service to the people (actually government provided by wealth redistribution) they are offering a socialist program. So, they really are related to shouting "socialist" - but not "Irish".


You seem to be making up your own definition of Socialist.  Could you point me to where anyone in the government called a service  like, oh the military, roads, public schools, or health care "free"? Only Conservatives use that term to describe government funded programs. 

 

When John F. Kennedy ran for the White House we heard "But he is Catholic" and "But he is Irish" as two reasons to vote Republican.  Now the new phrase is "But he is a Socialist" and it is having the same effect on new voters. Why? Because all those "Socialist" (Republican term) programs in other countries have been so successful.  Tough to argue with success. 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
175
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
188
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

188 Views
Message 15 of 54

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Try to focus on either socialized medicine or "free" university education.


Let's see...which one is the subject of the thread......oh right NEITHER. 

 

This was about the fact that screaming "He's a socialist" today has about the same impact as screaming "He's Irish".  And why?  Because what the conservatives call Socialism (it really is not) is rapidly being favored by the millennial and following generations. And why is that, you ask.  Because the countries using universal health care and universal secondary education are doing better than America.  Tough to argue with success, eh? 


And when the government says "free" with regard to a service to the people (actually government provided by wealth redistribution) they are offering a socialist program. So, they really are related to shouting "socialist" - but not "Irish".

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
188
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
198
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

198 Views
Message 16 of 54

@rk9152 wrote:

Try to focus on either socialized medicine or "free" university education.


Let's see...which one is the subject of the thread......oh right NEITHER. 

 

This was about the fact that screaming "He's a socialist" today has about the same impact as screaming "He's Irish".  And why?  Because what the conservatives call Socialism (it really is not) is rapidly being favored by the millennial and following generations. And why is that, you ask.  Because the countries using universal health care and universal secondary education are doing better than America.  Tough to argue with success, eh? 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
198
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
208
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

208 Views
Message 17 of 54

A Socialist country does not have a Capitalistic economy. It has a Socialist economy. That means:

 

There are no European Socialist countries. All of them have a Capitalistic economy.

 

My point? We have no Socialists. I know of no one that advocate replacing our free market capitalistic economy with a Socialist economy.

 

And one last thing, the type and kind of "social" programs a country's government has or does not have has absolutely nothing to do with Socialism.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
208
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
216
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

216 Views
Message 18 of 54

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

 

If the government is paying for your healthcare, and since some life style issues are detrimental to your health - will the government have the power to adjust those life style issue. Why do you keep erroneously repeating "government paying for health care"? People would be paying for health care through a tax based national health care plan. So certain life style issues are detrimental to your health today. I say NO, the government would not have the "power to adjust those life styles"............ no more than insurance companies have that power when we give money to them to pay for our health care. Yes, some would be paying for their care and the care of others.

  


Just like what is happening in this country today and what has been happening for over 200 years in this country.

 

If it is the same as we have had for 200 years - why change??


 


Because we have the most costly and worst results of comparable countries.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
216
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
241
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

241 Views
Message 19 of 54

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:
Because public school education is to provide children the basic requirements for life (the three Rs for example) and lay the groundwork for future education. And for the most part options are not offered. Higher Education is for adults and many options are offered many of which involve career choices.

Oh!!! Just like the Canadian health care system. At least in British Columbia.

 

Every resident gets basic health care paid by a combination of taxes and premiums.  If you want "many options", you purchase a private insurance package to pick up the difference.  Works in public education, it will work in health care...well, it does for the rest of the world.  Time to MAKE AMERICA COMPETITIVE AGAIN. 


Try to focus on either socialized medicine or "free" university education.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
241
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
261
Views

Re: He's a SOCIALIST... Don't you understand.... A SOCIALIST...

261 Views
Message 20 of 54

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Public schools are still free. The subject is "free" higher education.


When will conservatives learn that no government provided service is "free".  It is funded indirectly and they just cannot seem to get their heads around that.  They also don't understand that you cannot depend upon government to direct production and investment. That is central planning and it does not work either.  

 

I do so wish conservatives would learn how government works. and is funded.  


I think Conservatives understand very well how government is funded - by them. Free is a term used by liberals all the time. They want the government to supply this or that to them (for FREE) without considering the cost.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
261
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.


multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors