Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Hate America Is Exporting - - - New Zealand Terrorist Attack

Message 51 of 69

When I read the New Zealand shooter’s manifesto, what struck me most were the similarities between his writings and some of the things I hear from members of Congress on immigration.

I don’t blame anybody but this shooter for his horrible actions, and I’m not suggesting there’s some equivalence between what he has done and what some lawmakers have said.

But I do think it’s quite telling that the way this shooter talked about immigration is also how I hear some Republicans talk about the issue.

HuffPost has decided not to link to the shooter’s apparent 74-page manifesto. But in reality, the language from that document is already out there. His views and rhetoric have an eerie resemblance to some of the things two particular Republicans ― Steve King (R-Iowa) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) ― say about immigration, and that’s worth discussing.

Gohmert and King have denounced the shooting, and there’s no reason to doubt they genuinely are saddened by this massacre.

Still, it’s fair to evaluate how dehumanizing rhetoric has real impact in the ways people think about immigrants, particularly in light of this horrendous attack.

So in the interest of a more introspective immigration debate, let’s look at some of the remarkable similarities between the shooter’s writings and these lawmakers’ words.

This is how the shooter begins his manifesto:

If there is one thing I want you to remember from these writings, it’s that the birthrates must change, even if we we were to deport all non-Europeans from our lands tomorrow, the European people would still be spiraling into decay and eventual death.

And here’s something King said in August 2018 about fertility rates:

I’m watching emotion take over reason. When I made a statement on Twitter saying, “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies,” it seemed to be more irritating to the left than anything I have ever said. First of all, the total fertility rate in Europe is below replacement rate. When that happens, you are a dying civilization.

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 69

Here is a Good Example of the World We Are Living In

If you can beleive Facebook - I usually cannot

They Claim They Removed - 1.5 Million Videos of the Massacre That Were Being Streamed on Their Platform - JUST WITHIN THE FIRST 24 HOURS

That means there are Millions of People Out There Who not Only Could Actually Watch this Happening but were willing to associate themselves with it Publicly

Thats Scary!

Source - https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/facebook-says-it-removed-1-5-million-videos-new-zealand-n9...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 69

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Why has the POTUS, trump, minimized White Supremacy?  He had a White Nationalist as his top adviser, Bannon.  He minimized White Supremacy in Charlottesville with his "fine people on both sides" comment.  Now he minimises it after the New Zealand incident where the perpetrator even mentioned his name.

Why does trump not speak out loudly against White Supremacy?

Two Main Reasons I think

1. No Matter What The Issue - Trumps Instincts Are To - EXPLOIT - Differences......................he's continues using this Tactic because - it's been incredibly successful - this is what happens when you have a Powerful Person with a Immense Audience who has No Curiosity About Facts & Not One Ounce or Shred of Empathy or any relationship with Truth

2. If you watch Trump for awhile he gets just as enthusiasitc and involved if he's Vetoing Major Legislation - Negotiating with World Leaders over Critical US Foreign Policy or Describing the Fast Food Buffet he's Organized for the College Football National Champs

Heres just one example

In the video, Trump notes that the White House brought in 300 hamburgers for the event. The president has made common practice of inflating numbers for his own benefit — whether it be the size of his inauguration crowd, or the trade deficit. He couldn’t help himself on Monday, either.

After the dinner wrapped, Trump addressed the high-performance athletes he had just served sodium-rich sandwiches. The number of hamburgers tripled. “Do we give you some little quick salads that the first lady will make, along with the second lady — they’ll make some salads. I said you guys aren’t into salads,” Trump said. “Or do I go out and send out for about 1,000 hamburgers? Big Macs. So we actually did. We bought 1,000. Burger King. All American companies. Burger King, Wendy’s and McDonald’s.”

Clemson lists 119 players on its 2018-2019 football roster, along with 11 coaches. If the White House ordered 1,000 hamburgers, it would be enough for each player or coach to eat seven burgers, and that’s assuming all 130 of them made the trip to Washington. Pizza, chicken nuggets, salad and fries were also being served. “We have everything that I like, that you like,” Trump said.

“I know that no matter what we did there’s nothing you could have that’s better than that.”

On Tuesday morning, the number grew from 1,000 hamburgers to “over 1,000 hamberders,” which Trump claimed he paid for himself. He said it was all gone within an hour, which, again, means that each player would have had to have eaten over seven hamburgers, not to mention the other offerings.

Source - https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-fast-food-white-house-779128/

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 69

@Panjandrum wrote:

rk9152:  I have not seen any downplaying - what are you talking about?

Just as I thought. Thank you.

You're welcome but what downplaying are you taling about?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 69

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Fulano jihadists and Boko Haram are massacring Christians on a regular basis and yet - no "breaking news", no demands for President Trump to denounce. What's the story??

Notice that Trump isn't taking the lead to denounce it all on his own? Uh huh. But isn't Nigeria one of those s-hole countries, by his own definition? Yep. So why would he. There's your answer.

How does that relate to the media hysteria over New Zealand but silence over Nigeria?? Are you saying they are all anti-Christian??

As to the s-hole countries, they are identified by their own citizens fleeing.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 69

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Why the shooter said what he said is unknowable - possibly to get more attention (like Smollett).

How asinine. As if the world wouldn't have paid attention to the mass murder of Muslims in prayer without Tarrant's manifesto. Suuure. Because Stephen Paddock had no manifesto, and nobody paid attention to the people he gunned down.

Unlike Paddock, we know Tarrant's motivation - hate - inspired by far RIGHT WING ideologies. That's a pattern amongst these folks - KKKers, white supremacists, white nationalists - they all identify with RIGHT WING ideiologies.

Mentioning Smollett? Really? Then let's be sure to not omit Ashley Todd right along with him.

It hasn't escaped anyone that Trump calls Rep. Omar an anti-Semite, yet he still refuses to denounce white supremacy. And compare Trump's tweet for the Tree of Life massacre versus the generalized tweet he uttered for the massacre in New Zealand. Again, this pattern hasn't gone unnoticed.

Trump campaigned for a complete ban of Muslims entering the US. He also advocated for a database to track all Muslims in the US. And let's not forget his out-right lie about "thousands and thousands" of Muslims cheering in New Jersey on Sept. 11. Once again, there's the pattern.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/15/short-history-president-trumps-anti-muslim-bigotr...

What a strange post to think that this nut way over there needed our President to inspire him to kill people. And then there are the anti-Semitic comments of Omar - the President comments on them negatively and somehow he is wrong. As I said, truly strange.

As to President Trump's proposed temporary ban on Muslims entering - he was following the lead of Obama - another RW White nationalist???

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 69

Hate America Is Exporting - - - New Zealand Terrorist Attack

https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/news/a28542/wolfenstein-nazis/

Wolfenstein, a Gaming Franchise About Killing Nazis, Gets in Twitter Spat About Nazis

"Make America Nazi-Free Again" didn't escape the notice of Twitter trolls.

https://www.newsweek.com/nazi-video-game-wolfenstein-angers-nazis-make-america-nazi-free-again-sloga...

NAZI-KILLING VIDEO GAME 'WOLFENSTEIN II' ANGERS NAZIS WITH 'MAKE AMERICA NAZI-FREE AGAIN' SLOGAN

Comment :

So instead of " the shining city on the hill " the USA has devolved into Castle Wolfenstein. 

"Make America Nazi-Free Again" !

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 69

rk9152:  I have not seen any downplaying - what are you talking about?

Just as I thought. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 69

@rk9152 wrote:

Fulano jihadists and Boko Haram are massacring Christians on a regular basis and yet - no "breaking news", no demands for President Trump to denounce. What's the story??

Notice that Trump isn't taking the lead to denounce it all on his own? Uh huh. But isn't Nigeria one of those s-hole countries, by his own definition? Yep. So why would he. There's your answer.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 69

@rk9152 wrote:

Why the shooter said what he said is unknowable - possibly to get more attention (like Smollett).

How asinine. As if the world wouldn't have paid attention to the mass murder of Muslims in prayer without Tarrant's manifesto. Suuure. Because Stephen Paddock had no manifesto, and nobody paid attention to the people he gunned down.

Unlike Paddock, we know Tarrant's motivation - hate - inspired by far RIGHT WING ideologies. That's a pattern amongst these folks - KKKers, white supremacists, white nationalists - they all identify with RIGHT WING ideiologies.

Mentioning Smollett? Really? Then let's be sure to not omit Ashley Todd right along with him.

It hasn't escaped anyone that Trump calls Rep. Omar an anti-Semite, yet he still refuses to denounce white supremacy. And compare Trump's tweet for the Tree of Life massacre versus the generalized tweet he uttered for the massacre in New Zealand. Again, this pattern hasn't gone unnoticed.

Trump campaigned for a complete ban of Muslims entering the US. He also advocated for a database to track all Muslims in the US. And let's not forget his out-right lie about "thousands and thousands" of Muslims cheering in New Jersey on Sept. 11. Once again, there's the pattern.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/15/short-history-president-trumps-anti-muslim-bigotr...

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views