Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Handy Mayhem on Ben Carson

Message 31 of 41

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

But you are criticizing a black man. There are some that would call that racism.

And there are some that would call Ben Carson mentally ill regardless of his race.

And then there is the criminal  who is a criminal regardless of his race who threatens a police officer and is killed.

Agreement - it is actions, not race that tells the story.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

READ MUCH MORE:  https://www.biography.com/people/ben-carson-475422

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ben Carson is a good example of what can be acheived with enough tenacity.

How wrong can you be????

Ben Carson is a good example how the mentally ill can achieve a position in life that far exceeds what should have been possible.

Comments like Obamacare is like slavery, a President can ignore rulings by The Supreme Court, anti-Gay bakers would poison Gay wedding cakes, people go into prison straight but come out Gay, Obama was guilty of treason, and, my favorite, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is very much like NAZI GERMANY is but some of the evidence that points to a man that, at some point, has become extremely mentally incapacitated.

Couple the comments above with his other beliefs such as the pyramids were grain silos, Earth is only 6,000 years old, evolution is the work of the devil, and stupid comments regarding astrophysics and you have a man that needs to be in a asylum rather than THE PORCINE PRESIDENT'S CABINET.

The guy obviously has mental health issues.

But you are criticizing a black man. There are some that would call that racism.

There are those who do not believe that trump is a malignantly narcissistic white supremacist/racist - and others who believe that those who support trump aren't delusional and dishonest...

44>45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 41

@rk9152 wrote:

And there are some that would call Ben Carson mentally ill regardless of his race.

Do you believe the Earth to be only 6,000 years old?

Do you believe that evolution does NOT exist?

Do you believe the Pyramids were grain silos rather than burial tombs?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 41

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

How wrong can you be????

Ben Carson is a good example how the mentally ill can achieve a position in life that far exceeds what should have been possible.

Comments like Obamacare is like slavery, a President can ignore rulings by The Supreme Court, anti-Gay bakers would poison Gay wedding cakes, people go into prison straight but come out Gay, Obama was guilty of treason, and, my favorite, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is very much like NAZI GERMANY is but some of the evidence that points to a man that, at some point, has become extremely mentally incapacitated.

Couple the comments above with his other beliefs such as the pyramids were grain silos, Earth is only 6,000 years old, evolution is the work of the devil, and stupid comments regarding astrophysics and you have a man that needs to be in a asylum rather than THE PORCINE PRESIDENT'S CABINET.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 41

@jimc91 wrote:

How wrong can you be????

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 41

@jimc91 wrote:

Yes, he did have a difficult start in life but made it and made it big. Just the sort of black man the liberals hate. They only want "victims" dependent on the government for the basics in life and defense against we who do not wallow in white guilt..

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 41

Synopsis

Ben Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan, on September 18, 1951. His mother, though under-educated herself, pushed her sons to read and believe in themselves.

Carson went from being a poor student to receiving academic honors and eventually attending medical school. As a doctor, he became director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital at age 33 and earned fame for his groundbreaking work separating conjoined twins.

He retired from medicine in 2013, and two years later he entered politics, making a bid to become the Republican candidate for U.S. president. After struggling in the primary elections, Carson dropped out of the race in March 2016, and then became a vocal supporter of Republican nominee and former rival Donald Trump. After Trump was elected president, he nominated Carson to become the secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. 

Birth and Family Background

Benjamin Solomon Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan, on September 18, 1951, the second son of Sonya and Robert Solomon Carson. His mother was raised in Tennessee in a very large family and dropped out of school in the third grade. With limited prospects in life, she married Baptist minister and factory worker Robert Carson when she was 13.

The couple moved to Detroit and had two children. But Sonya eventually discovered her husband was a bigamist and had another secret family. After the couple divorced, Robert moved in with his other family, leaving Sonya and her children financially devastated.

Influential Mother

Ben was 8 and Curtis, his brother, was 10 when Sonya began to raise them as a single mother, reportedly moving to Boston to live with her sister for a time and eventually returning to Detroit. The family was very poor and to make ends meet Sonya sometimes toiled at two or three jobs simultaneously in order to provide for her boys. Most of the jobs she had was as a domestic worker.

As Carson later detailed in his autobiography, his mother was frugal with the family's finances, cleaning and patching clothes from the Goodwill in order to dress the boys. The family would also go to local farmers and offer to pick vegetables in exchange for a portion of the yield. Sonya would then can the produce for the her childrens' meals. Her actions, and the way she managed the family, proved to be a tremendous influence on Ben and Curtis.

Sonya also taught her boys that anything was possible. By his recollection many years later, Carson had thoughts of a career in medicine. For medical care, his family would have to wait for hours to be seen by one of the interns at hospitals in Boston or Detroit. Carson observed the hospital as doctors and nurses went about their routines, dreaming that one day they would be calling for a "Dr. Carson."

Power of Reading

Both Carson and his brother experienced difficulty in school. Ben fell to the bottom of his class and became the object of ridicule by his classmates. Determined to turn her sons around, Sonya limited their TV time to a few select programs and refused to let them go outside to play until they had finished their homework.

She required them to read two library books a week and give her written reports, even though with her poor education, she could barely read them. At first, Ben resented the strict regimen, but after several weeks, he began to find enjoyment in reading, discovering he could go anyplace, be anybody and do anything between the covers of a book.

Ben began to learn how to use his imagination and found it more enjoyable than watching television. This attraction to reading soon led to a strong desire to learn more. Carson read literature about all types of subjects, seeing himself as the central character of what he was reading, even if it was a technical book or an encyclopedia.

Carson would later say that he began to view his prospects differently, that he could become the scientist or physician he had dreamed about, and thus, he cultivated an academic focus. A fifth grade science teacher was one of the first to encourage Carson's interests in lab work after he was the only student able to identify an obsidian rock sample brought to school. 

Within a year, Carson was amazing his teachers and classmates with his academic improvement. He was able to recall facts and examples from his books at home and relate them to what he was learning in school.

Still, there were challenges. After Carson received a certificate of achievement in the eighth grade for being at the top of his class, a teacher openly berated his fellow white students for letting a black boy get ahead of them academically.

At Southwestern High School in inner-city Detroit, Carson's science teachers recognized his intellectual abilities and mentored him further. Other educators helped him to stay focused when outside influences pulled him off course.

VIMTSTL
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 41

@umbarch64 wrote:

I don't know Ben Carson personally....never met the man....never had an 'in depth' discussion with him and so can only rely on what has appeared in the 'news', in film clips, articles by others on who he is, where he came from, what he knows and what he only 'thinks he knows'. 

I first 'knew' Ben Carson existed when he announced his candidacy for POTUS under the Republican banner.  From the first time I never  heard anything of consequence politically from him. I had the impression that this was an inherently 'good' man, but a man that had seriously 'lost it'. That didn't really surprise me, he was running as a Republican and over the years, that had been what happened throughout the Republican Party.  

The idea that he was still an active surgeon was a bit astounding to me.  In most states, licensing requirements kick in when competence is in question.  There is 'stigma' attached.  A lot of extraneous considerations come into play.  Regardless of what Ben Carson once was, it seemed to me apparent that he no longer had a grip on social and political reality.  His capacity as a Surgeon was not for me to judge.  The link you provided brings that into question as well.  

That link does have an inconvenient pop-up.  Thought you should know. 

Didn't see the pop-up - have pop-up blockers, ad blockers, and tracking blockers etc. enabled...

Sorry it messed with you...

44>45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 41

I don't know Ben Carson personally....never met the man....never had an 'in depth' discussion with him and so can only rely on what has appeared in the 'news', in film clips, articles by others on who he is, where he came from, what he knows and what he only 'thinks he knows'. 

I first 'knew' Ben Carson existed when he announced his candidacy for POTUS under the Republican banner.  From the first time I never  heard anything of consequence politically from him. I had the impression that this was an inherently 'good' man, but a man that had seriously 'lost it'. That didn't really surprise me, he was running as a Republican and over the years, that had been what happened throughout the Republican Party.  

The idea that he was still an active surgeon was a bit astounding to me.  In most states, licensing requirements kick in when competence is in question.  There is 'stigma' attached.  A lot of extraneous considerations come into play.  Regardless of what Ben Carson once was, it seemed to me apparent that he no longer had a grip on social and political reality.  His capacity as a Surgeon was not for me to judge.  The link you provided brings that into question as well.  

That link does have an inconvenient pop-up.  Thought you should know. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 41

The fact that Carson said that the Egyptian Pyramids were intended for grain storage, along with his whacky concepts of memory and how memory works is an irrefutable indication that Carson is "aging" and is no longer "all there".

Ben was once a good surgeon - a "repair technician" - a "brain mechanic" - but that's all - he never understood the complexities of the "operating system".

Experts Weigh in on Ben Carson's Wacky Brain Claims

Is Ben Carson more likely worth listening to than Charles Manson?

Yes - but only just barely - and no one knows for how much longer...

44>45
Kudos
Views