Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HR1384 or MEDICARE FOR ALL

Message 41 of 58

@easyed598 wrote:

Rker wrote-there are many sections that I will discuss right here and that we should look at them carefully and then really understand how is going to be implemented before we say Medicare for All is the bomb----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I agree with RKER. We shouldn`t jump into something before benefits and consequences can be studied . This is what happened with ACA(Obamacare) and it turned out to be a disaster for most peole when it came to cost and Doctors choice and medical facilities that could be used. Also keep in mind that  whenever the government gets involved with any program it usually loses money and eventually  drives our national debt deeper in the hole.  With private insurers there is always competition which tend to keep cost down.  FYI-     A lot of people who don`t have Medicare ,think it is free or the cost is very low. This can be further from the truth. Seniors often  pay $400/month  or more premiums per person if they have regular medicare ,supplement  and drug coverage. Imagine if a younger family of 4 has to pay this under a Single Payer system.

Here once again we see bad information being passed on. Lets talk about the ACA and cost. The far right does not want the people of this country to have health coverage and that is their goal. The ACA was based on all being insured, and medicaid being expanded was part of that. Another part was the use of Co op type carriers. Well the far right refused to expand medicaid and got the Courts to go along it was made voluntary, states controlled by the far right did not expand it. That ended the all being covered part which drove up cost. On the co-op new regs were issued which changed the way they were looked at by state law. What had been an assets was changed to a liability so a lot went out of business. Increased cost followed. It took a few years but you saw the cost of health insurance go down as the full effects of the ACA came into play which is normal with this type of insurance. No one lost their Dr, due to the ACA. Insurance Carriers, and Providers started  to make use of networks faster that caused that. The use of networks has provided cost savings to Carriers, and inspite of what you have heard worked. The ACA mandated Carriers loss ration of 80%. The average loss ration was about 60% and under medicare is about 95% That alone reduces cost. Drug cost went out of control because the far right would not allow medicare to deal with the drug makers, and changed laws so Drug Makers could keep drugs under their control for a longer time period. If you want a program of health care for all you need a medicare for all approach, and that is why you hear nonstop from the far right how bad it is, and the leaders put out the talking points just about everyday to the enablers using vehicles like FOX News. Do not think for one second this is not a top down driven effort to kill health care for all. As a Gov. of GA once said the answer is let them die in the streets.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 58

John wrote-What people are talking about is a medicare for all approach which would not replace Obamacare or the ACA-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You are trying to tell us that Medicare for All doesn`t really mean Medicare for all  if you choose not to have it. The radical Dems I heard want to eliminate all private insurers which includes Obamacare and employers who pick up a lot of the  private insurers premium/cost and also the private insurers who participate in the Medicare advantage and medicare supplements plans.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 58

@easyed598 wrote:

John wrote-Sadly this is really common in the far right enablers who get their information from places like FOX. My advice to posters learn your subject before you post totally false information--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This topic has nothing to do with FOX. The topic is Medicare for all. The people who are promoting it want "SINGLE PAYER"  which would replace ACA(Obamacare) and also do away with private insurers  which handle costs that medicare doesn`t cover-  (medicare advantage,medicare supplements,Medicare Drug plans) John has strayed off topic and is trying inject info. that doesn`t  pertain to the topic issue.

My answer was right on topic as the misinformation, and bad information that is put out everyday on health care from the far right is designed to kill health care in the USA. The main source that passes these fairy tales on to people are far right news sources like FOX News. Just read the rest of the answer I got. It is not true in any way shape of form. What people are talking about is a medicare for all approach which would not replace Obamacare or the ACA. The ACA deals with the coverage side for the most part while single payer deals with the payment side. Medicare is under single payer, but is for the most part the single collector, and part payer. People who have a MA program also deal with their insurance carrier on payment matters. The far right use the off topic as a deflection from their drive to kill health care for all. Do not be fooled by the nonsense put out by far right leadership on this subject via sources like FOX News and then passed on by the enablers.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 58

Rker wrote-there are many sections that I will discuss right here and that we should look at them carefully and then really understand how is going to be implemented before we say Medicare for All is the bomb----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I agree with RKER. We shouldn`t jump into something before benefits and consequences can be studied . This is what happened with ACA(Obamacare) and it turned out to be a disaster for most peole when it came to cost and Doctors choice and medical facilities that could be used. Also keep in mind that  whenever the government gets involved with any program it usually loses money and eventually  drives our national debt deeper in the hole.  With private insurers there is always competition which tend to keep cost down.  FYI-     A lot of people who don`t have Medicare ,think it is free or the cost is very low. This can be further from the truth. Seniors often  pay $400/month  or more premiums per person if they have regular medicare ,supplement  and drug coverage. Imagine if a younger family of 4 has to pay this under a Single Payer system.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 58

John wrote-Sadly this is really common in the far right enablers who get their information from places like FOX. My advice to posters learn your subject before you post totally false information--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This topic has nothing to do with FOX. The topic is Medicare for all. The people who are promoting it want "SINGLE PAYER"  which would replace ACA(Obamacare) and also do away with private insurers  which handle costs that medicare doesn`t cover-  (medicare advantage,medicare supplements,Medicare Drug plans) John has strayed off topic and is trying inject info. that doesn`t  pertain to the topic issue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 58

I am not saying that we shuldn't have a National Health care system. because we need one but Medicare for All as is stated in this bill, will be a difficult bill to accept, once you read it.

Now more than eve we should consider to really put forth a National health care system that is tailored  to the needs of this country and not simply taking  another plan that has forever function quite well in many areas and dump it into  a new system without really not dealing with the unintended consequences.

there are many sections that I will discuss right here and that we should look at them carefully and then really understand how is going to be implemented before we say Medicare for All is the bomb

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 58

Private insurance in the USA is caught up in the same avarice-induced spiral that nearly killed the American auto industry. They have a "captive audience" for their customer base, so they have not considered their base in their decision making for decades. Instead, the Insurance Corporate Oligarchs negotiate with the Health Care Corporate oligarchs and the BigPharma Corporate Oligarchs and set what will be covered and how much it will cost. Then they tell their captives what the new deal is, and how much MORE it will cost them.

A Government Option will do for the health Care industry what VolksWagon and Honda did for Detroit - inject COMPETITION into the system. The really good news is this time, the Progressives will be overseeing the process on behalf of the "missing piece" of the negotiating process - the Customers aka We the People.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 58

ACA have a panel of providers who will treat you, and you agree to that when you sign up in that Insurance Co plan.

That's true for all insurance plans not just the ACA. It's their network of providers, if you go out of network your provider will not pay full plan benefits, they pay the out of network fee schedule and you pay the rest.

The great thing about Medicare is it's a national network, providers can refuse to accept it, most don't, but you can't go out of network.

You can't get in an accident or have a medical event one state away and then be crushed with out of network medical expenses.

The whole selling private health insurance across state lines thing never made sense to me, discounts are based on volume, and medical expenses and services are local. That is how consumers receive in network savings on medical expenses in an arrangement between local providers and regional insurance plans

That's how Medicare works on a national scale, agree to accept the plan and it's fee schedule and you get the business of the people with Medicare insurance. It's a lot of leverage , and if the plan gets bigger the lever gets bigger.

The ACA is good where you can get it, but a lot of states ( Republicans ) refuse to implement it, same is true for Medicaid, it works OK if you implement it, It's a limited HMO for the poor, at least it is in my state. However the ACA still has those network restrictions.

Another problem is private insurance companies and corrupt politicians relentlessly try to kill the ACA, they can't get a 11% return on their investment, or whatever it is they want.

I think a national health plan would be best, I'm OK with consolidating different government  plans into " Medicare for All "., provided anyone is allowed to buy into it. I don't care if people want to keep their private insurance plans, I don't think that will last long.

60% of the population in the US are in poverty or one paycheck away from poverty, if people are allowed to buy into Medicare they will, some because they have to, some because they want to support a system that operates for the common good instead of profit.

People  don't understand how insurance works at their own peril.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 58

@easyed598 wrote:

John wrote-You start off with a plan that provides the coverage everyone needs and then adjust the premium for a persons real finical situation. That way you have real coverage. The ACA did that.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ACA has restrictions  like Medicare advantage that determines what Doctors and medical facility you can go to.Regular medicare has little restricitons and generally  you can go and see whatever Doctor you want. However with regular Medicare ,you are reponsible for 20% of your bill.  Most people probably would not like this ,especially if you have a $100,000 medical procedure.

I hate to break your line of reasoning. The restrictions like this in Group plans, and the private Insurance Co. ACA have a panel of providers who will treat you, and you agree to that when you sign up in that Insurance Co plan. This type of provider network usually provides cheaper cost in what you pay. The network will  cover the full range of medical care. If you are traveling and need medical help the plans usually allow out of network treatment. In your local area some plans allow out of network treatment but you pay a higher cost. Medicare pays the Insurance Carriers a flat sum which is the same as what it cost medicare to provide the services plus something like I think now 12%. (We all pay more due to that.) Some of the other benefits people get from their ACA are funded by what the Carrier saves by using a network of providers. Under the ACA their payments have the same co=pay built in from Medicare. 

What you see in the post to me is a statement not based on fact but what someone thinks, and what they think is not true. That is one of the big problems in this area. People who do not know or understand the subject making statements that are not based on fact and that leads to the mess we have today. Sadly this is really common in the far right enablers who get their information from places like FOX. My advice to posters learn your subject before you post totally false information.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 58

I have a Medicare Advantage program and is a PPO program I can go to any  doctor that will accept my plan and of course will pay more than if I go to a Network  doctor. but I prefer it that way. I am  very picky when it comes to Dr's  and hospitals.

I do not want to loose that ability to de and search what what I want to do in the health care issue.

Kudos
Views