Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOW DO YOU ESCAPE FOR A MOMENT

Message 21 of 55

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

FullSizeRender.jpgwords not necessaryIMG_1426.JPG

here too..but is a navigable river.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 55

@Panjandrum wrote:

jimc91:  Build things in my wood and metal shops.

Interesting. What sort of things?

maybe spears, shields and helmets? lol.. couldnt resist.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 55

Let's face it, life can be a grind!  I like to sit in my favorite chair, put on some soothing music, and just let the music do its thing.  Sort of meditating I guess.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 55

When I first moved to a small Midwestern town in 2000 I didn't know anyone, so I started signing up for various classes. One of them was West African Percussion (in Iowa!). Turns out I'm a natural. at 66 I drum every day, sometimes to prepare for a performance with my band, but often just for the joy of drumming and releasing pent-up energy. West African Percussion is trendy now, and it's easy to find classes and groups as well as lots of YouTube videos. It's easy to learn the basics, then you can take it as far as you want. Just be considerate of your neighbors! I'm fortunate to live alone in a rural setting, so neighbors are not an issue for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 55

Jesus!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 55

For about three years I learned a lot about meditation using a Tibetan method at a meditation center here.  I haven't been an avid meditator for a while, but the skills I learned in how to meditatie while sitting quietly that time can be also be used in your daily life.  They are skills that transfer to  everyday existence as you become more familiar with them.  The biggest take-away from this for me is dealing with all of the thoughts and emotions that travel uncontrollably through your mind.  And the escape for me is to look at those thoughts directly, and allow myself to feel the feelings associated with them, and to address the thought simply as "thinking", and let it go, rather than holding onto it and trying to "solve" it.  Your mind has a lot of thoughts that just pop up and you don't have to act on or be directed by everything you think.  It is a gigantic help.  And also to allow yourself to feel any feeling that arises with that thought, good, bad or indifferent, rather than trying to avoid it, actually makes it go away (at least for me).  Kind of like confronting something that scares you in a dream.

Also like walking in nature and along the lake in Chicago!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 55

Animals. Animals have been my release for as long as I can remember. We recently had to have our cat put down, so it helps being able to get a fur fix at the local shelter by scooping litter or helping to socialize the other cats, visiting with the neighbors and their pets, or even grabbing a cup of coffee, and going outside to watch the birds and squirrels at the feeders.

Oh, and I sigh a lot -- deep, heavy sighs.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 55

@mimi0000 wrote:
What on earth are you talking about? I'm 87 years old. You are probably young enough to be my son.

Bless you Mimi, I hope you are blessed with many more years !

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 55

@NerdyMom wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@mimi0000 wrote:
What on earth are you talking about? I'm 87 years old. You are probably young enough to be my son.

Lower back surgery for an exploded disk, surgery on both knees, broken wrist requiring two surgeries, eight broken ribs, and two stem cell transplants have taken their toll. Low impact exercise without severe stretching or heavy lifting is enough for me now. I do thoroughly enjoy golf.

Ouch.  Swimming maybe?   Golf sounds hard on the back, but maybe that's just me. 

Golf helps me keep my range of motion. Hanging on an inversion table really helps, most of the time I have no pain, as long as I do what I'm supposed to do.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 55

That's gorgeous, @oceanedge2   

I'd love to retire near the water someday....

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors