AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOW ABOUT 4% FOR NATO

Message 1 of 76

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I just want to make sure Trump finally understands how NATA works. 

So, do you think he reads the nonsense posted on this forum? 

According to reports from his former staff members, he does not read much of anything. 

Tx, I think that means he does not read the nonsense on this forum.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 76

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

According to reports from his former staff members, he does not read much of anything. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 76

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 76

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

There is a story about the "golden rule". He who has the gold, rules.  We used our defense budget to protect America AND to set policy at NATO. Trump has told NATO he may not come to their defense (another promise broken) and they are getting ready to defend themselves. All good except if you want outsized influence.  I thought outsized influence was part of MAGA? No? 

Why do you object to the President wanting us to be leader of a group of free and equal partners rather than buying the position of "King of the World"?

I just want to make sure Trump finally understands how NATA works.  He has not been treating the other NATO countries as equals so far. Why should he start now?  Loved his casual cruelty with the queen of England.  Very diplomatic.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 76

@Richva wrote:

There is a story about the "golden rule". He who has the gold, rules.  We used our defense budget to protect America AND to set policy at NATO. Trump has told NATO he may not come to their defense (another promise broken) and they are getting ready to defend themselves. All good except if you want outsized influence.  I thought outsized influence was part of MAGA? No? 

Why do you object to the President wanting us to be leader of a group of free and equal partners rather than buying the position of "King of the World"?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 76

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Der Trumper got NOTHING from NATO - not a single nation agreed to any changes in their defense spending or their support for NATO.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/opinion/editorials/trump-nato-obama.html

Ah yes, the RWNJ approach to life. Always quote a NY Times opinion piece as facts. 

Here is a link to the real story and from a real newspaper. I do love showing conservatives the facts. 

Interesting - the NYT is now right up there with Washington Times and Breitbart. Are they on a par with Fox and Limbaugh now??

I am not sure about that but am sure the RWNJ tried to slip in an opinion piece as factual to bolster his argument. It is a standard ploy. 

Well, when your "factual material" includes this sort of nit-picking, I'd say it qualifies as opinion - "German defense spending accounted for 1.2 percent of GDP. The U.S. spent 3.5 percent of GDP — not 4.2".

And, as your opinion piece points out there are a lot of "definition of terms" involved in this subject.

Can we agree that the US is doing more than it's share in the funding of NATO?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 76

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

I agree with Jim  a 4% increase in dues perhaps those NATO  members will expel Trump and then they will have the organization that they need to have.   One  that will show the US what allies can do when they unite.

You must not be aware of the controversy that the European Union is having now where Great Britain, and I believe Italy, is wanting to pull out, but Germany is determined to rule Europe; and trying to do it differently than in WW2.

The EU is having the controversy now with GB, Italy due to Russia which got involved in elections there just like they did in the US. You can add the US to the list. The only reason France is not on the list is Russia failed to get its candidate elected.  Are you saying Germany is trying to take over Europe like they did under Hitler? That is backward as Germany is more of a democracy than the US. We now have Dictator Trump who is supported by enablers who say the same thing you are. It is sad to see some one from the military turn against everything they once stood for.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 76

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

The question is why you are continually attempting to carry discussions way off topic by bringing in nonsensical comments?  There are 36 Representatives from Texas and I really don't keep up with any except the one for our district.

So why don't you stay with the subject of this discussion?

A fair point. So why does Trump's base want the NATO countries to pay 100% more than they earlier agreed to do?  Are they still stuck when Trump was under the impression there were some kind of dues payments and America was picking up the slack?  

Has this man ever negotiated a successful deal in his life? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 76

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

The question is why you are continually attempting to carry discussions way off topic by bringing in nonsensical comments?  There are 36 Representatives from Texas and I really don't keep up with any except the one for our district.

I am following your lead.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 76

@john258 wrote:

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors