Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: HOW ABOUT 4% FOR NATO

Message 31 of 76

@KidBoy2 wrote:
John258 posted..

Well today Trump told us he is now happy with NATO. They took his advice and all will pay more, except US. He will stay part of NATO. He even gave the amount of the total increase. President of France followed him to mike and said no such thing happened. The increase is the result of prior agreements (Obama). Looks like our Dictator was telling lies again, but he does that every day.

===========================

They took Trumps advise.

You should thank Trump for standing up for our country..I do..do you? If not why?

You really need to read this KidBoy, either that or remain ignorant of the facts about what happened at the summit.

From the link:

2008 Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin tweeted out a report from her blog that held Trump got exactly what he wanted.

“President Trump went to the NATO summit wanting American allies to pay their share of the NATO defense fund,” Lawrence Richard wrote on the Palin blog. “The countries agreed to cover the 2 percent GDP minimum. He left. Short and easy.”

Never mind that the 2 percent guideline was established in 2006 — or that other leaders more or less snickered at Trump’s 4 percent ask.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-s-nato-trip-lion-out-lamb-n891001

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 76

Trump is an infantile idiot. He insulted all our allies, got ZERO concessions from anyone, then claimed he had greatly improved NATO by getting everyone to spend more. Anyone foolish enough to think Der Trumper accomplished anything in North Korea or Europe (besides making a fool of himself) is beyond help.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 76

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Older posted..

The offset is for the ADDITIONAL cost of stationing Troops overseas. Your pay would have been the same if you were in Kansas or Germany, so no offset.

========================

Wrong!

When I was stationed in the US I did not get overseas pay...I also spent money in the economy of the US...when in Germany I purchased a German VW which was shipped back to the US at taxpayer expense. I spent money in Germany that helped their economy..beer, bratwursts, etc.

Completely agree with you Kid Boy!!!   a case of Lowenbrau delivered to our apartment door each week, volksfests, twice a week dining out at the gasthaus, buying antiques, having my vehicle shipped to Germany and back...etc.   Don't forget the rent off-post we paid to the landlord until we could move into government quarters.  Also figure in the salaries paid to local Germans working for the government.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 34 of 76
Older posted..

The offset is for the ADDITIONAL cost of stationing Troops overseas. Your pay would have been the same if you were in Kansas or Germany, so no offset.

========================

Wrong!

When I was stationed in the US I did not get overseas pay...I also spent money in the economy of the US...when in Germany I purchased a German VW which was shipped back to the US at taxpayer expense. I spent money in Germany that helped their economy..beer, bratwursts, etc.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 76
John258 posted..

Well today Trump told us he is now happy with NATO. They took his advice and all will pay more, except US. He will stay part of NATO. He even gave the amount of the total increase. President of France followed him to mike and said no such thing happened. The increase is the result of prior agreements (Obama). Looks like our Dictator was telling lies again, but he does that every day.

===========================

They took Trumps advise.

You should thank Trump for standing up for our country..I do..do you? If not why?
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 76

Well today Trump told us he is now happy with NATO. They took his advice and all will pay more, except US. He will stay part of NATO. He even gave the amount of the total increase. President of France followed him to mike and said no such thing happened. The increase is the result of prior agreements (Obama). Looks like our Dictator was telling lies again, but he does that every day.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 76

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Mick posted..

The Pentagon spends an estimated $10 billion a year on overseas bases. More than 70% of the total is spent in Japan, Germany and South Korea, where most U.S. troops abroad are permanently stationed.

In return, the Pentagon receives various forms of compensation from the host countries, from rent-free real estate where the bases are located to actual cash payments meant to offset U.S. costs.

----------------------------------------

In return, the Pentagon receives various forms of compensation from the host countries, from rent-free real estate where the bases are located to actual cash payments meant to offset U.S. costs.
============================

"meant to offset U.S. costs"

Go any reliable numbers?

When I was stationed in Germany in the 1950's my pay was from my country..the USA.

The offset is for the ADDITIONAL cost of stationing Troops overseas. Your pay would have been the same if you were in Kansas or Germany, so no offset. Kissinger negotiated an increase from 60% to 100% of these "offset" costs back in the early 1970's.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 76

@PaintItBlack wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Mick posted..

If the USA was Billed Market Rates for Rent for all the Bases they have in NATO Countries it would amount to tens of Billions

------------------------------------

That does not make even a little bit of sense.

Hm, that's a shame you don't understand. But I see that others have already explained it to you so I'm editing this post.

It makes no sense for us to be defending another nation and have them bill us.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 76

@rker321 wrote:

One of the principles and rules of the AARP message board is no personal attacks and I see posters that constantly attack others. 

And then there is the going off topic thingy that you tend to correct others on????

Gold Conversationalist

Message 40 of 76

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@PaintItBlack wrote:

This is old news, too. And there are literally pages and pages of other articles if you do a simple Google search.

The fact that you're completely unaware of this old news tells me a lot about how you form your opinions. 

You're really making a name for yourself and in just a few posts.  I get my information from British news media also.

Thank you! LOL

And yet you never heard of any of this. Strange ...