You Can Double the Difference You Make for Vulnerable Seniors — Donate Today, and Your Gift Will Be Matched! Find Out More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: HOW ABOUT 4% FOR NATO

Message 51 of 76

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Being a gutless draft-dodging preppytwit, Lemontop has no clue about anything military, and has no interest in learning vs using whatever the last FOX broadcast said.

Yes, the US spends nearly 4% of GDP on our Military. No, nothing close to that is devoted to NATO.

For starters, about 1/3d of our total Defense spending goes for operations in the PACIFIC, so the amount available to support Europe is not 4% but 2.68%. Then we consider that a lot of our "support" for NATO is living right here in the USA, helping our economy at home. And then there's our whole Nuclear Triad, which should only be counted as a support for NATO if we had a rock-solid committment to use those forces to defend NATO, which Der Trumper has not made. Bottom line, the US is only providing less than 2% to do the things Eurpoean Nations need to do to provide for the security of NATO. Why does anyone think our allies should do more than we do?

Second, Der Trumper's too dumb to realize all those wonderful highways in Germany and the rest of what was "Western Europe"  support our military operations, as does the rest of their excellent infrastructure. Not counted in his understanding of the situation or what he thinks is their support to NATO.

Third, a trade DEFICIT is a good thing for Americans. It means we have more things from the other country than they got from us, and all they have to show is a bunch of pictures of our dead Presidents, which they generally send back to us to buy the Government bonds that finance our deficit spending.

Forth, in the last few years, NATO forces have taken about 1/3d of the casualties in jrbush's worthless War in Iraq, but with Lemontop's ranting against all things NATO, that is going to change, and it seems unlikely our "allies" will support any of our overseas military misadventures in the future, which would be a good thing if it kept Republicans from starting more needless wars, but it won't.

But don't bother Republicans with facts - it makes their heads hurt and they can't understand them anyway.

How I wish I could Kudo this more than once. Thanks for the reasonable, factual post.

Though I suspect that NATO defense spending isn't really what this is about for Trumplings anyway. I think it's actually just a way for them to get their jollies by watching the Bully in Chief do his usual playground thing. I mean, why get out of bed in the morning if you can't indulge in some good old-fashioned nastiness with the people who've been your closest friends for 80 years?

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 76

One of the principles and rules of the AARP message board is no personal attacks and I see posters that constantly attack others. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 76

@mandm84 wrote:

rk9152 says " facts don't matter, just make anything up."

------------------

Are you talking about President Trump again ?

You really should make an effort to understand posts before responding - it makes for much smarter appearing posts. I was obviously responding to a post and I do not believe it came from President Trump.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 54 of 76

I guess that th European "fake news"  is not capable of reporting the real truth about this meeting.
Macron has stated that no more money has been agreed. NOw. posters  do you really believe that or do you believe those Fake News.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 76

@mickstuder wrote:

Pompeo on NATO.png

Stop Lying Trump & Trump Cult Members

What is the lie in the quote? Or are you just in a bad mood again?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 56 of 76

@mickstuder wrote:

BTW Trumps 4% Ridiculousness - the USA doesn;t spend 4%

We are contemplating the sale of our house. Do you really think we are going to list it at the price we hope to get? If so - I sure hope you want to move to the Gulf Coast (that's Boca Raton to 321).

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 76

@mickstuder wrote:

Here are the Facts

1. The only time NATO has ever invoked Article 5 was in support of the USA after 911 - Trump and his Cult have No Clue nor do they care about History or about the Reason NATO exists - it's not a Venue for Trade Negotiations and it's certainly not a Venue for Trump to try and interfere in the Energy Policy of a Soveriegn Country......................

2. The US Senate Voted 97 - 2 to overide Trumps bloviating over NATO

3. This is the Most Important Fact - After grabbing some loud-mouthed bullying time to show-off for his meeting with his Handler Putin - Trump along with the 28 other NATO Members signed the 23 page NATO Declaration as written - No Changes

1. It is a mutual defense organization. Does a member creating dependency on Russia add to mutual defense?

2. I saw no vote using the term "bloviating".

3. All his words referred to future needs and establishing a framework for it.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 76

@Richva wrote:

Based on his negotiating record so far, we will be paying 10% of Nato's budget in return for a really cool military parade to be held in Botswana.  (How about those North Koreans?)

When did Botswana join NATO? Or was that just a childish swipe at our President?

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 76
Its time to separate shakers and movers from the free loaders...------------------------@Jim.......Amen to that. I am so sick of free loaders from MANY sources.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 60 of 76

rk9152 says " facts don't matter, just make anything up."

------------------

Are you talking about President Trump again ?