Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Message 41 of 47

@MIseker wrote:
So Texas contractors are hiring illegals? If the govt gav aid to Texas like it does PR, that wouldnt be a problem

And how would it not be a problem?  If you feel so strong about Puerto Rico then why aren't you sending aid and funds to them?  Or getting on a plane and lending a hand?  I don't recall any here concerned about aid coming here to Texas?  There are still thousands that are in need of help here...so why don't you grab your hammer and come on down. 

Of course if we did it like Puerto Rico, everyone would be sitting back complaining and waiting for the federal government to come rebuild their homes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 47
So Texas contractors are hiring illegals? If the govt gav aid to Texas like it does PR, that wouldnt be a problem
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 47

@NerdyMom wrote:

That seems unnecessarily mean.  And truly pointless.  What if he's a superior worker and craftsman?  What if he's earning good money to help his kids get a good education?  I guess you wouldn't hire a deaf person who can only do sign language, either.

Would he be speaking Spanish if he was deaf?  How would I know what type of worker he was if he can't communicate where I could understand him but brings along a high school age kid that barely speaks English himself?  How can he explain what he proposed in rebuilding my house after being flooded? 

I wasn't running a charity but wanted my house repaired so we could move back in.  You're welcome to do so, but this was a business deal with him signing a contract outlining what I expected and what he agreed to do.

If he was dealing with Americans for 20 years, he should be able to communicate in English by now.

And I wanted my house repaired to my satisfaction, and along those lines I coordinated with the contractor I hired.  He had some suggestions I hadn't thought of.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-houston-45percent-pay-hikes-are-dangled-to-lure-immigrant...

The article doesn't state that most like this are paid 'under the table', especially if he is illegal (call it what it is, not undocumented).  That raise for Gomez was likely that.  Mostly they are paid at the end of each day in cash.

Its not always confined to illegals, but to many American workers.  There is no doubt that this applied to the workers hired when the contractor worked on my house.  I refuse to allow any worker who can't speak English working on my property.  I don't appreciate them having to have a translator when I tell them something.  When interviewing contractors, one brought along a high school kid to translate.  He said he had been in business here for 20 years.  Not on my house.

And yes repair costs have gone up...the simple matter of supply and demand from high school economics.  Another factor is that a good many only work several hours a day.  There was one crew that woulds show up not earlier that 9 AM and disappear around noon.  I made the contractor get a new crew...they did more work in two days than the others in two weeks.

We moved in within six weeks after starting...other homes with comparable damage is still not finished.

That seems unnecessarily mean.  And truly pointless.  What if he's a superior worker and craftsman?  What if he's earning good money to help his kids get a good education?  I guess you wouldn't hire a deaf person who can only do sign language, either.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 47

@mandm84 wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-houston-45percent-pay-hikes-are-dangled-to-lure-immigrant...

The article doesn't state that most like this are paid 'under the table', especially if he is illegal (call it what it is, not undocumented).  That raise for Gomez was likely that.  Mostly they are paid at the end of each day in cash.

Its not always confined to illegals, but to many American workers.  There is no doubt that this applied to the workers hired when the contractor worked on my house.  I refuse to allow any worker who can't speak English working on my property.  I don't appreciate them having to have a translator when I tell them something.  When interviewing contractors, one brought along a high school kid to translate.  He said he had been in business here for 20 years.  Not on my house.

And yes repair costs have gone up...the simple matter of supply and demand from high school economics.  Another factor is that a good many only work several hours a day.  There was one crew that woulds show up not earlier that 9 AM and disappear around noon.  I made the contractor get a new crew...they did more work in two days than the others in two weeks.

We moved in within six weeks after starting...other homes with comparable damage is still not finished.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 47

How does Gomez find time to help rebuild homes in Houston, if he's so busy killing and raping and dealing drugs, as Trump and his klan would have us all believe?

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Message 47 of 47
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors