From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Message 31 of 47

@jfpinlvn wrote:

So are you are saying that the ends justifies the means?

Apparently she forgets we were not contracting to be politically correct but to get our house livable and repaired.  As it was many scam artists (probably leftist liberals) were taking people's money (probably other leftist liberals) and disappearing.  How could I have found out if they were superior craftsmen if I couldn't understand them. 

Wouldn't I be violating the law if I hired illegals like liberals would? 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 47

@nctarheel wrote:

Just like the TRUMP administration is known for, we have here a HALF-TRUTH.

Texans DID receive more assistance but NO WAY the damage in TEXAS was more wide-spread than PUERTO RICO.

More of your partisan bias and 'dump it on Texas'?  The damage was more widespread due to the wider area, plus in monetary terms in view of the value of property. 

Puerto Rico's damage was mostly in mountainous areas with more than likely buildings that was poorly constructed.  Even with buildings built according to national code, our damage was mostly due to more excessive than normal flooding.

And yes the assistance in Texas might have exceeded Puerto Rico because of that greater damage. 

But why are you also sitting there complaining like others and not giving them assistance yourself.  We had those from areas that were not affected joining in here.  Even from North Carolina.  Didn't see you.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 47

@NerdyMom wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-houston-45percent-pay-hikes-are-dangled-to-lure-immigrant...

The article doesn't state that most like this are paid 'under the table', especially if he is illegal (call it what it is, not undocumented).  That raise for Gomez was likely that.  Mostly they are paid at the end of each day in cash.

Its not always confined to illegals, but to many American workers.  There is no doubt that this applied to the workers hired when the contractor worked on my house.  I refuse to allow any worker who can't speak English working on my property.  I don't appreciate them having to have a translator when I tell them something.  When interviewing contractors, one brought along a high school kid to translate.  He said he had been in business here for 20 years.  Not on my house.

And yes repair costs have gone up...the simple matter of supply and demand from high school economics.  Another factor is that a good many only work several hours a day.  There was one crew that woulds show up not earlier that 9 AM and disappear around noon.  I made the contractor get a new crew...they did more work in two days than the others in two weeks.

We moved in within six weeks after starting...other homes with comparable damage is still not finished.

That seems unnecessarily mean.  And truly pointless.  What if he's a superior worker and craftsman?  What if he's earning good money to help his kids get a good education?  I guess you wouldn't hire a deaf person who can only do sign language, either.

So are you are saying that the ends justifies the means?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Of course Texas received more aid than Puerto Rico because our damage was wide-spread over a greater area. 

Just like the TRUMP administration is known for, we have here a HALF-TRUTH.

Texans DID receive more assistance but NO WAY the damage in TEXAS was more wide-spread than PUERTO RICO.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 47

@MIseker wrote:

you are plain old wrong. If you did it lke PR you wouldnt be able to pay anyone.

If we did it like Puerto Rico we wouldn't be back in our homes but would be waiting for a handout to repair our homes and waiting for a handout.  But apparently since you wasn't affected all you can do is criticize?  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 47

@creppelrm wrote:

So the contractor who is American pays illigals illigally but it is the illigals who are blamed. As I said many times we wouldn't have a immigrant problem if all those Republicans would quit hiring them, illigally at that.

Who said anything about the politics of the contractors?  Are you saying that Democrats or liberals aren't ambitious enough to establish businesses?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
So Texas contractors are hiring illegals? If the govt gav aid to Texas like it does PR, that wouldnt be a problem

And how would it not be a problem?  If you feel so strong about Puerto Rico then why aren't you sending aid and funds to them?  Or getting on a plane and lending a hand?  I don't recall any here concerned about aid coming here to Texas?  There are still thousands that are in need of help here...so why don't you grab your hammer and come on down. 

Of course if we did it like Puerto Rico, everyone would be sitting back complaining and waiting for the federal government to come rebuild their homes.

you are plain old wrong. If you did it lke PR you wouldnt be able to pay anyone.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 47

So the contractor who is American pays illigals illigally but it is the illigals who are blamed. As I said many times we wouldn't have a immigrant problem if all those Republicans would quit hiring them, illigally at that.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 47

@Snoopy48 wrote:

According to your demands, one can not speak of anything where they are not personally involved so you must either stop posting about Puerto Rico or Texas.

Texas received more than twice the aid than Puerto Rico did.

Sounds like jealously.   I believe that I have as much to express my opinion as you or anyone else on this forum.   I am just doing that, and have been involved in much over the years.   You haven't?

Might say you have very little to add to topics except criticize mine and others' posts.

Of course Texas received more aid than Puerto Rico because our damage was wide-spread over a greater area.  That area ranged from Rockport which was extremely damaged, across back through the Houston metro area, over to Beaumont.

Many of us didn't wait for the government's help but started rebuilding ourselves.  How come you haven't been lending a hand to the area or to Puerto Rico?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
So Texas contractors are hiring illegals? If the govt gav aid to Texas like it does PR, that wouldnt be a problem

And how would it not be a problem?  If you feel so strong about Puerto Rico then why aren't you sending aid and funds to them?  Or getting on a plane and lending a hand?  I don't recall any here concerned about aid coming here to Texas?  There are still thousands that are in need of help here...so why don't you grab your hammer and come on down. 

Of course if we did it like Puerto Rico, everyone would be sitting back complaining and waiting for the federal government to come rebuild their homes.

According to your demands, one can not speak of anything where they are not personally involved so you must either stop posting about Puerto Rico or Texas.

Texas received more than twice the aid than Puerto Rico did.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors