From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Message 21 of 47

@Snoopy48 wrote:

You are the one who continually attacks other's opinions because they don't meet your criteria for having an opinion.

In spite of your claims you really have no idea how much the citizens of Puerto Rico have been doing to help themselves.

Hurricane damage was much more widespread and severe in Puerto Rico than it was in Texas but Texas still received much more federal assistance than Puerto Rico did. 

More posts just to criticize others and their posts?   Have you considered that you are just engaged in personal attacks rather than carrying on a civil dicussion?

Why don't you furnish sources to back up your claims about damage.  So was your area involved in the hurricane and flooding last fall?  Tell those victims of the flood here that their damage was negliable.

Texans didn't just sit back and cry about their problems but went to work themselves and in helping others.  We also had those from all over to lend assistance.  We had a crew from the Mormon church in the San Antonio area who came here, not asking what they could do, but looking around and going right to work. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 47

Puerto Rico is an Island and doesn't have the equipment or resources a state like Texas has , nor a large enough skilled workforce to repair an entire Island. Comparing the logistics of Texas and P.R. is simply not comparable. They like any Island are a different animal. Let's keep it real !

But I must admit that I too would be uncomfortable with a contractor who could not communicate in English and I dont consider myself a Racist ! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 47

@MIseker wrote:

Not at all. Just saying your fellow Texans are pumping more federal cash to illegals than Puerto Ricans are. ANyone physically able can do simple construction, even up to code. SOme things do take and electrician or plumber to at minimum sign off. Its doesnt take an understanding of english to do the job either. neither does it take much to check on the work being done.

Of course an understanding of language is required for communication.  I just finished a telephone conversation with a friend here who's house was destroyed worse than mine.  They had to start with only the foundation.  They had a contractor who violated all principles of building a house, even the frame wasn't adequate for insulation.  The entire thing was required to be torn down and a new contractor is on track

So how many houses have you built or helped build?  My Dad has built many a house when we were growing up.  I watch the construction company build this house we had built 40 years ago.  And plumbing and electrical work has to be done by a qualified and licensed person. 

Apparently you have no idea at all about building or remodeling houses.  And it does take some knowledge and ability to build houses.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

According to your demands, one can not speak of anything where they are not personally involved so you must either stop posting about Puerto Rico or Texas.

Texas received more than twice the aid than Puerto Rico did.

Sounds like jealously.   I believe that I have as much to express my opinion as you or anyone else on this forum.   I am just doing that, and have been involved in much over the years.   You haven't?

Might say you have very little to add to topics except criticize mine and others' posts.

Of course Texas received more aid than Puerto Rico because our damage was wide-spread over a greater area.  That area ranged from Rockport which was extremely damaged, across back through the Houston metro area, over to Beaumont.

Many of us didn't wait for the government's help but started rebuilding ourselves.  How come you haven't been lending a hand to the area or to Puerto Rico?

You are the one who continually attacks other's opinions because they don't meet your criteria for having an opinion.

In spite of your claims you really have no idea how much the citizens of Puerto Rico have been doing to help themselves.

Hurricane damage was much more widespread and severe in Puerto Rico than it was in Texas but Texas still received much more federal assistance than Puerto Rico did. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 47

@NerdyMom wrote:

There is a big difference between rejection of one contractor and a blanket statement saying you won’t ever hire someone who can’t speak English.  

The deaf anaology was not stating that this contractor was deaf.  But rather, by extension of your logic, you’d refuse to hire a deaf contractor if he needed an interpreter.  Because he doesn’t speak English.  

You might view it as charity. I view it as basic human decency. The guy is hired to do construction. He made accommodations for any communication weakness by bringing a translator. 

Was he being hired to work on your house?  Do you not think that I have the right to hire whoever I want to to work on mine?  Are you telling me what criteria I am to follow?  I've had those type workers who didn't speak English working around my property, and they couldn't understand any further directions or changes I asked for.  They gave me that blank look as if I need to speak Spanish to them.

They are in my country and I speak English.  The translator was a young kid who barely spoke English himself.  He had no valid drivers license that I could scan for further identification if needed.  I've had other problems with illegals in business dealings.

Common decency?  Business is business, friendship is friendship. 

You engage in charity when your house needs repairing....or you could send me contributions to offset my depletion of savings.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@creppelrm wrote:

So the contractor who is American pays illigals illigally but it is the illigals who are blamed. As I said many times we wouldn't have a immigrant problem if all those Republicans would quit hiring them, illigally at that.

Who said anything about the politics of the contractors?  Are you saying that Democrats or liberals aren't ambitious enough to establish businesses?

Not at all. Just saying your fellow Texans are pumping more federal cash to illegals than Puerto Ricans are. ANyone physically able can do simple construction, even up to code. SOme things do take and electrician or plumber to at minimum sign off. Its doesnt take an understanding of english to do the job either. neither does it take much to check on the work being done.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@jfpinlvn wrote:

So are you are saying that the ends justifies the means?

Apparently she forgets we were not contracting to be politically correct but to get our house livable and repaired.  As it was many scam artists (probably leftist liberals) were taking people's money (probably other leftist liberals) and disappearing.  How could I have found out if they were superior craftsmen if I couldn't understand them. 

Wouldn't I be violating the law if I hired illegals like liberals would? 

It must be rotten to always assume the worst in people.  

Who said he was illegal?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

That seems unnecessarily mean.  And truly pointless.  What if he's a superior worker and craftsman?  What if he's earning good money to help his kids get a good education?  I guess you wouldn't hire a deaf person who can only do sign language, either.

Would he be speaking Spanish if he was deaf?  How would I know what type of worker he was if he can't communicate where I could understand him but brings along a high school age kid that barely speaks English himself?  How can he explain what he proposed in rebuilding my house after being flooded? 

I wasn't running a charity but wanted my house repaired so we could move back in.  You're welcome to do so, but this was a business deal with him signing a contract outlining what I expected and what he agreed to do.

If he was dealing with Americans for 20 years, he should be able to communicate in English by now.

And I wanted my house repaired to my satisfaction, and along those lines I coordinated with the contractor I hired.  He had some suggestions I hadn't thought of.

There is a big difference between rejection of one contractor and a blanket statement saying you won’t ever hire someone who can’t speak English.  

The deaf anaology was not stating that this contractor was deaf.  But rather, by extension of your logic, you’d refuse to hire a deaf contractor if he needed an interpreter.  Because he doesn’t speak English.  

You might view it as charity. I view it as basic human decency. The guy is hired to do construction. He made accommodations for any communication weakness by bringing a translator. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 47

@nctarheel wrote:

WHAT A RACIST THING TO SAY.

ARE YOU ANTI-HISPANIC OR SOMETHING?

That is apparently the truth since they kept waiting for others from off-island to come repair their homes.  Call it like it is.  Why attempt to excuse it? I have no prejudices or bias towards anyone who are helping themselves instead of sitting back and waiting for rescule to arrive.  I didn't wait for Uncle Sugar to arrive to make my home livable, neither did my neighbors,  but started cleaning up and rebuilding by ourselves. 

Of course you throw in all of your prejudices in.  You have been claiming prejudice because of your ethnic background since you first started posting here.   Yet you have been more prejudicial than anyone you accuse.  So it's no wonder that you jump in accusing others of prejudice.   Your posts are mostly of accusing someone or something, even a state you only passed through,  based on those prejudices.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

If we did it like Puerto Rico we wouldn't be back in our homes but would be waiting for a handout to repair our homes and waiting for a handout. 

WHAT A RACIST THING TO SAY.

ARE YOU ANTI-HISPANIC OR SOMETHING?

It seems that you are claiming superiority over those affected by disaster in Puerto Rico by saying THEY ARE ALL waiting for a handout while TEXANS rebuilt their own and pitched in with other's damage repair.

HOW RACIST CAN THAT BE!!!!!!!!!

Do you also believe ALL BLACKS are lazy?

Do you also believe that ALL JEWS are swindlers?

Applying a particular attribute blindly to a particular group of people is nothing but RACISM, pure and simple.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors