Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Message 11 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

There is a big difference between rejection of one contractor and a blanket statement saying you won’t ever hire someone who can’t speak English.  

The deaf anaology was not stating that this contractor was deaf.  But rather, by extension of your logic, you’d refuse to hire a deaf contractor if he needed an interpreter.  Because he doesn’t speak English.  

You might view it as charity. I view it as basic human decency. The guy is hired to do construction. He made accommodations for any communication weakness by bringing a translator. 

Was he being hired to work on your house?  Do you not think that I have the right to hire whoever I want to to work on mine?  Are you telling me what criteria I am to follow?  I've had those type workers who didn't speak English working around my property, and they couldn't understand any further directions or changes I asked for.  They gave me that blank look as if I need to speak Spanish to them.

They are in my country and I speak English.  The translator was a young kid who barely spoke English himself.  He had no valid drivers license that I could scan for further identification if needed.  I've had other problems with illegals in business dealings.

Common decency?  Business is business, friendship is friendship. 

You engage in charity when your house needs repairing....or you could send me contributions to offset my depletion of savings.

You of course can hire whomever you want.  But I have no respect for how you go about it.   Common decency is for every aspect of one's life.  Not just friendships.  We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 47

Tx - Only one comment:   So what's the problem?

link - If a Texas law enacted last year survives a court challenge, it may ensnare Gomez and toss him out of the country. A victory for conservative leaders, but at what economic cost?Image result for cartoon it's the economy stupid

https://www.democraticunderground.org/1002309265

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 47

I can't imagine dealing with such disasters. I wont complain about 120 inches of snow ever again Tex.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 47

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Mr. Gomez is certainly one man who knows about "destruction and rebuilding".  Wouldn't you agree? 

There are many who knows, but Gomez only from the side of his job and demand.  Are you saying he is the only one around here who is skilled?  I am aware about destruction and rebuilding, but not from the standpoint of actually doing the work. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 47

@mandm84 wrote:

Tex , I hope your Home is getting back to normal and I can't imagine having to deal with such a tragedy. I too would be uncomfortable hiring a contractor who couldnt communicate in English , but I don't think comparing the Logistics of repairing / rebuilding Texas and Puerto Rico are on the same level.  

I've been through hurricanes, typhoons, and other types of happenings.  But this is the first time we've had to deal with flooding.  And when I've been in other countries I've tried to learn enough of the language to deal with the local nationals. 

As far as Puerto Rico, a lot of the problems is the people there.  There was reports that in restoring the electrical grid that the monopoly power company stored the donated parts in their warehouse and left it there. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 47

Tx - t's amazing that those not affected by the disaster knows more about destruction and rebuilding than those affected.

Mr. Gomez is certainly one man who knows about "destruction and rebuilding".  Wouldn't you agree? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 47

@oceanedge2 wrote:

Thank you for going (somewhat) back to the topic.  Cesar Gomez:

The great part: He just got a 45 percent raise –- to $160 a day. A master remodeler in Houston, he’s in such hot demand amid the post-hurricane cleanup that his boss threw him the extra cash to make sure he wouldn’t bolt for a rival outfit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-houston-45percent-pay-hikes-are-dangled-to-lure-immigrant...

Only one comment:   So what's the problem?

That has happened, and is happening much among the crews in our area.  Contractors have to pay workers each day because their employees might be working for someone else tomorrow.  They also may have to pay them cash.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 47

Tex , I hope your Home is getting back to normal and I can't imagine having to deal with such a tragedy. I too would be uncomfortable hiring a contractor who couldnt communicate in English , but I don't think comparing the Logistics of repairing / rebuilding Texas and Puerto Rico are on the same level.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 47

@mandm84 wrote:

Puerto Rico is an Island and doesn't have the equipment or resources a state like Texas has , nor a large enough skilled workforce to repair an entire Island. Comparing the logistics of Texas and P.R. is simply not comparable. They like any Island are a different animal. Let's keep it real !

The entire island didn't suffer extreme damage, only certain areas if I'm not mistaken.  Beside the crews from the island only attended to certain areas that were readily accessible.

It's amazing that those not affected by the disaster knows more about destruction and rebuilding than those affected. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 47

Tx - And it does take some knowledge and ability to build houses.

Thank you for going (somewhat) back to the topic.  Cesar Gomez:

The great part: He just got a 45 percent raise –- to $160 a day. A master remodeler in Houston, he’s in such hot demand amid the post-hurricane cleanup that his boss threw him the extra cash to make sure he wouldn’t bolt for a rival outfit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-houston-45percent-pay-hikes-are-dangled-to-lure-immigrant...

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors