Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

Message 1 of 47

@Snoopy48 wrote:

I don't think that anyone would accuse you of being a liberal and you are trying to tell others whether they can have an opinion or not.

I hope not as liberals here are apparently more intent on making the posts about others than about the topic.  They go on and on and on.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Once again you are trying to demand that only certain people are able to have a reasonable opinion.

If you feel that way about my opinions then why do you read them?  I'm not going to change my opinion to suit you or anyone.  The people helping were Texans from here in South Texas.  

Without a doubt you just want to criticize...  Like others you was't affected so how can you judge any instance here?  One even thinks I should hire based on human decency and criticized me for wanting someone who could speak English.  Apparently liberal like to tell others what to do and believe.

Nobody is telling you what to believe. You continue to tell others that their opinion is not valid because they weren't personally affected but you have no problem expecting others to respect your opinion even though you weren't personally affected.

Apparently you don't feel that what you expect from others does not apply to you since you have no problem pushing your opinion on areas where you have no personal involvement. You were not and are not affected by the situation in Puerto Rico so how can you judge any instance there?

I don't think that anyone would accuse you of being a liberal and you are trying to tell others whether they can have an opinion or not.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 47

@MIseker wrote:

Sorry old buddy you are dead wrong I have worked on construction for one complete combination grocery store and house, I have rehabbed 15 houses, and several of them I've redone 25 years later.

So wouldn't you say that you are experienced?  Doubtful you could take Joe Blow right out of an office and he could do so expertly.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 47

You are correct Tex , nothing can be worse than flooding ! We are well prepared for heavy snow and have the beautiful Four Seasons to look forward to. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Not at all. Just saying your fellow Texans are pumping more federal cash to illegals than Puerto Ricans are. ANyone physically able can do simple construction, even up to code. SOme things do take and electrician or plumber to at minimum sign off. Its doesnt take an understanding of english to do the job either. neither does it take much to check on the work being done.

Of course an understanding of language is required for communication.  I just finished a telephone conversation with a friend here who's house was destroyed worse than mine.  They had to start with only the foundation.  They had a contractor who violated all principles of building a house, even the frame wasn't adequate for insulation.  The entire thing was required to be torn down and a new contractor is on track

So how many houses have you built or helped build?  My Dad has built many a house when we were growing up.  I watch the construction company build this house we had built 40 years ago.  And plumbing and electrical work has to be done by a qualified and licensed person. 

Apparently you have no idea at all about building or remodeling houses.  And it does take some knowledge and ability to build houses.

Sorry old buddy you are dead wrong I have worked on construction for one complete combination grocery store and house, I have rehabbed 15 houses, and several of them I've redone 25 years later.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 47

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Once again you are trying to demand that only certain people are able to have a reasonable opinion.

If you feel that way about my opinions then why do you read them?  I'm not going to change my opinion to suit you or anyone.  The people helping were Texans from here in South Texas.  

Without a doubt you just want to criticize...  Like others you was't affected so how can you judge any instance here?  One even thinks I should hire based on human decency and criticized me for wanting someone who could speak English.  Apparently liberal like to tell others what to do and believe.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 47

@NerdyMom wrote:

You of course can hire whomever you want.  But I have no respect for how you go about it.   Common decency is for every aspect of one's life.  Not just friendships.  We will have to agree to disagree on this.

It' my money and my property, I don't need yours or anyones approval for how I vet workers or contractors.  As far as common decency, we treat those who we hire with respect.  One guy, Latino, once said that most people treat him, a skilled worker, like dirt,we treated him like a friend.  We told him our refrigerator had plenty of bottled water and drinks.  We told him to help himself without asking.  He spoke English.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 47

@oceanedge2 wrote:

link - If a Texas law enacted last year survives a court challenge, it may ensnare Gomez and toss him out of the country. A victory for conservative leaders, but at what economic cost?

https://www.democraticunderground.org/1002309265

Not only Texas law but Federal Immigration Law enforcement.  I have no objections to Latino workers, but legal ones.  Fact is the guy that is my A/C and Electrician goto is Latino and a personal friend of 40 years.  He also speaks English.  The owner of a roofing company that repaired my roof some years ago was Latino.  He also spoke English.

Gomez knows the chance he is taking for being in the country illegally.  That's his problem.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 47

@mandm84 wrote:

I can't imagine dealing with such disasters. I wont complain about 120 inches of snow ever again Tex.

I've dealt with heavy snowstorms several times also; in addition to not so bad instances.  First as a young kid back in 1946, living out in the country in Tennessee, with no power only a single pot-bellied stove to keep us warm and an outhouse for toliet purposes; and then in 1961 when first assigned to an annex of the Pentagon south of Alexandria Va.  I was among those allowed to leave early because of a snowstorm, but it took me about four hours to drive several miles to my apartment.

Compared to being flooded, the effects aren't so long lasting.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 47

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

You are the one who continually attacks other's opinions because they don't meet your criteria for having an opinion.

In spite of your claims you really have no idea how much the citizens of Puerto Rico have been doing to help themselves.

Hurricane damage was much more widespread and severe in Puerto Rico than it was in Texas but Texas still received much more federal assistance than Puerto Rico did. 

More posts just to criticize others and their posts?   Have you considered that you are just engaged in personal attacks rather than carrying on a civil dicussion?

Why don't you furnish sources to back up your claims about damage.  So was your area involved in the hurricane and flooding last fall?  Tell those victims of the flood here that their damage was negliable.

Texans didn't just sit back and cry about their problems but went to work themselves and in helping others.  We also had those from all over to lend assistance.  We had a crew from the Mormon church in the San Antonio area who came here, not asking what they could do, but looking around and going right to work. 

Once again you are trying to demand that only certain people are able to have a reasonable opinion. Why do I need to live in Texas to have an opinion about Texas but you expect everyone to agree with your opinion about Puerto Rico even though you have no connection to Puerto Rico?

I never said that the damage in Texas was neglible but you still claim that the damage in Puerto Rico was neglible compared to Texas. 

Where is your proof that the people of Puerto Rico are not helping themselves?

You have made several claims that the people of Texas recovered from the hurricanes on their own and now you admit that several outsiders came to help.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors