From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: H.R. 1227, the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act

Message 11 of 23

Is there anybody here who feels marijuana is accurately classified as a schedule one drug?  

Nope, not only is it not accurately classified, most feel it is deliberately wrongly classified.

There is no way the government, the DEA or Jeff Sessions is going to convince people, many who have smoked pot and suffer no ill effects over an entire lifetime, that pot is as dangerous as heroin.

It's not only stupid, it is blatantly corrupt and despicably immoral.

How many people have been imprisoned for smoking pot?

Pot is a schedule one drug?   No way       Pot doesn't belong in the drug schedule anymore then booze does, actually less so.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

@MaVolta wrote:

One point in the summary of the bill worth noting - 

"The bill does, however, make it a crime to knowingly ship or transport marijuana into a state where its receipt, possession, or sale is prohibited. A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to one year, or both."

Therefore, if it passes, red states like Texas could still keep it on the illegal list, thus preserving the right of each state to do as it sees fit.  We even have Trump on the record as saying that he thought the states should decide. Picture that playing over and over during election season. 

Keep in mind Texas has everything on its banned list. I live in a state that has a border with Texas. We see a lot of Texas plates on cars in our state all the time. They come here to get away from Texas. We made a lot of money on them over New Years weekend. They could not buy liquor on Sunday so they came here. Lines were long at the stores on the border. They go to CO. for pot weekends, and I am sure take it home. They come here for medical pot which they take home.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23

The only issue I have with this is "while driving around Las Vegas". D(riving) U(nder) the I(nfluence) is still DUI.

Smoke whatever you want but please do NOT put others at risk of this...

I do agree, Session's revocation of this bill is shameful, but this admin has done nothing other than shameful, so there it is...

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

I'd wager that Texas wants no competition for the State's mind-numbing drug of choice FOX NEWS.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 23

One point in the summary of the bill worth noting - 

"The bill does, however, make it a crime to knowingly ship or transport marijuana into a state where its receipt, possession, or sale is prohibited. A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to one year, or both."

Therefore, if it passes, red states like Texas could still keep it on the illegal list, thus preserving the right of each state to do as it sees fit.  We even have Trump on the record as saying that he thought the states should decide. Picture that playing over and over during election season. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23

Alcohol is NOT a "controlled substance" - It's regulated, not controlled.

However: Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.1,2 Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. 

POT is a "controlled substance" and is absurdly controlled

However: Unsurprisingly to marijuana lovers around the world, there has yet to be a single reported death linked to cannabis overdose. In fact, you would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times your average dose in order for marijuana to kill you. That would be about 1,500 pounds of marijuana in 15 minutes.  Now it's possible some of the 18,000 ALCOHOL related vehicle deaths involved some pot, but since they do a pretty routine screening of accident victims, and the test for pot use is easy and cheap, it's a safe bet that they account for a tiny percent of the total deaths.

LEGALIZE POT, DECRIMINALIZE EVERYTHING ELSE!

It will save us $40Billion each year just in "confinement costs", NOT including the rediculous amounts spent in finding, arresting and trying the potheads and "recreational drug users" (polite term for junkies).

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva

Stupid me, I always thought there was science behind any of these controlled substances and medical use of any such product - unless it is just a supplement and sold over the counter.

As you can look up on the DEA's controlled substance list, there are medications listed there too in a different classification.

SO TO MOVE A DRUG FROM SCHEDULE 1 TO ANOTHER SCHEDULE, MEDICAL USE HAS TO BE DETERMINED.

Are we gonna remove it all together from ALL schedule classes?  The proposed bill does not say.

If so, it seems to me that it is no longer controlled at all in that sense.

PLEASE explain it to me -

sure, There has been an MJ czar since at least the 20's fighting to make it illegal. same guy for 40 some years. but all along included with governmet studies were the government studies that siad it causes society no real adverse affects. Nixon commishioned a study in preparation for his phony class war .. i mean war on drugs..and NIXONS COMMISSION concluded their was no reason to make it ilegal. the whole war on pot is bogus, the government wnt let the FDA do research on it, and government studies have been tainted since Nixon. One of the people advisinf sessiona is an 81 year old man that in the early 80's came up with some great propaganda..MJ is a gateway drug. No proof, just some Reagan hokum. I was in a lenghty discussion on a more intellectual forum than this  ( i have no idea how i got in lol ) but everyone presented the facts to back up their stance, no bomb throwing like here. The preponderance of scientific studies and investigative commissions have ALWAYS said pots "ok". MJ laws were started to target Mexicans in the southwest over a hundred years ago in a government funded witch hunt, then we get those corny govt sponsored reefer madness movies. 

I am NOT saying there arent deleterious effects.. of course there are, mostly by the stupid.. Ive was a pot head 72 to 87 when i was first subject to drug testing...and i just quit did i smoke it in front of my kids? no. did i use it at work? no. same with many drugs i tried...some that NEED to be illegal. SOme i tried just once..and never tried again because i could see why people got hooked..or went crazy. Same with millions of people. I was also a DRUNK for a year or so..a case of beer a day. completey legal. But, one day i looked in the mirror and saw exeryone I knew that was destroyed by drinkin..and just dried myself out for 2 months. I drink 2 a day now. I have no use at this point for MJ bacause i havent tried it for pain..if it works i will use it. if i THINK i get pain relief..its working.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva

Stupid me, I always thought there was science behind any of these controlled substances and medical use of any such product - unless it is just a supplement and sold over the counter.

As you can look up on the DEA's controlled substance list, there are medications listed there too in a different classification.

SO TO MOVE A DRUG FROM SCHEDULE 1 TO ANOTHER SCHEDULE, MEDICAL USE HAS TO BE DETERMINED.

Are we gonna remove it all together from ALL schedule classes?  The proposed bill does not say.

Google "Whiskey Rebelion".  and ask yourself what benefit alcohol has to society.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva

Yes, the bill removes it all together from ALL schedule classes.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 23

Being a schedule 1 drug makes it very difficult for scientists to research it.  They must get approval from the government to research and and then get their supply from a federally-approved source, specifically for research.  So while some research gets done, it may not meet the government's criteria, and it is not done in sufficient quanitity to make a difference.

So what they "could" do is deschedule it for 10 years or so, and mandate specific types of research on it.  And then revisit the issue in 10 years with more data to make a rational decision.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors