Honored Social Butterfly

Gun sales soaring due to coronavirus fears

Gun sales soaring due to coronavirus fears, stores placing limits on supplies

The Coronavirus outbreak has put gun sales through the roof across the country and right here at home. CBS 6 spoke to a local gun store owner who tells us customers are stockpiling everything from rifles to ammunition.

As other businesses close down for concerns of Coronavirus, Schenectady retailer Upstate Guns and Ammo is open busier than ever.

“One word pandemonium, everybody is just coming in and buying anything they can lay their hands on.”

Friday morning a line of people waited for owner Craig Serafini to let them in. Not enough room in the parking lot.

“Our parking lot has looked like a Tetris board. Everyone is trying to shimmy a car in,” Serafini said.

Serafini says uncertainty has consumers stockpiling guns and ammo. Some of the shelves are starting to look bare. Serafini explains what’s bringing so many customers in.

“Fear, people are afraid of the unknown and right now. They are afraid with the virus, they’re afraid the police forces will be reduced because the officers will take ill, or maybe just people are going to panic and rob and loot, so they’re taking action to try and protect their families,” Serafini said.

Supply is running out so quickly, Serafini implemented a purchase limit.

“Right now they are limited to one firearm each and a couple of boxes of bullets or shells depending on what kind,” Serafini said.

Serafini tells us he believes his business is essential right now.

“I believe it is, the Supreme Court hasn’t rendered a decision, but in North Carolina they’re Supreme Court did render it an essential business,” Serafini said.

And despite new orders from Governor Cuomo Friday, he says has no plans to close.

“We'll be here for the foreseeable future,” Sarafini said.

Serafini tells CBS 6 his staff is taking extra precautions to keep customers safe, limiting how many people can come in at once, and disinfecting just about everything.

Because county clerks are not processing pistol permits right now due to closures, he tells me us is holding on to purchased weapons for people to pick up at a later time.

This isn't good! More guns in the hands of a panicked and poorly informed populace.  Would have been more reassuring had the US passed a universal background checks bill.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone who keeps a loaded firearm in the home is a moron. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Anyone who keeps a loaded firearm in the home is a moron. 

Agreed, Richva.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

This isn't good! More guns in the hands of a panicked and poorly informed populace.  Would have been more reassuring had the US passed a universal background checks bill.

Its got nothing to do with Covid19.

Its because tRump is calling his imbicile base to arms to defend him when he cancels the elections in November.

Listen carefully to the Toad tweets - he's telling his worshipers "their 2d Amendment Rights are under attack."  Not a word about Covid19, just "THE DEMS ARE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS."

The fact those demonstrating in support of Toad's insane move to reinfect the Nation are now showing up heavily armed is NOT an accident. He wants them to stage a Second American Revolution to keep King Toad in power because if he's not ToadPOTUS he will become Federal Prisoner # 346528 and his family will share his cell.

Fortunatily those Governors he tries to blame for his disaster will not agree to calling off the election, but folks in Iowa, Idaho the Dakotas and Old Dixie just might not have any polls to go to come November and no absentee voting either. They won't care, they'll be marching off to Civil War.

Honored Social Butterfly

New NRA slogan ....

"I'll give you my gun and toilet paper when you pry it from my cold, dead hands".

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Social Butterfly

@myexper wrote:

New NRA slogan ....

"I'll give you my gun and toilet paper when you pry it from my cold, dead hands".

That slogan has always be fine by me. I have pliers and a crowbar. When you gun people start offing each other in big numbers I'll be prying away.

Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

And suicides.

Honored Social Butterfly

Just means more domestic violence with everyone in close quarters. 

Honored Social Butterfly

ManicProgressive:  Just means more domestic violence with everyone in close quarters. 

Officer: "why did you shoot him?"

suspect: "he was after my Charmin"

Honored Social Butterfly

I betcha the same folks running to the gun stores and stockpiling weapons and ammo, are the same folks who tune into TV shows like The Walking Dead and The Purge each week.  They've been waiting for such a time as this and they are arming themselves for the coming apocalypse whether it be real or imagined.  Help us all!

Honored Social Butterfly

LydiaN:  I betcha the same folks running to the gun stores and stockpiling weapons and ammo, are the same folks who tune into TV shows like The Walking Dead and The Purge each week. 

Yep, and probably also fans of The Jim Bakker Show with his Heirloom seed kits and survival gear ripoffs. Good grief.

Bronze Conversationalist

more than likely the same panjamdils that frequent this aarp. panjo is infected and never survives, if we are fortunate.....the same jim jones cult that never went away!

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

I betcha the same folks running to the gun stores and stockpiling weapons and ammo, are the same folks who tune into TV shows like The Walking Dead and The Purge each week.  They've been waiting for such a time as this and they are arming themselves for the coming apocalypse whether it be real or imagined.  Help us all!

I betcha it's the ones who will watch the movie, The Hunt, when it comes out.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Can't wait till I get my mailbox money from Uncle Sam for more ammo. .416 rounds are expensive.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

LIBERALS have rejected civility???

Its not the Liberals who are bringing semi-auto long guns to their State Capitals

Honored Social Butterfly

"We find that states where individuals are more likely to search for racial epithets experienced larger increases in June firearm sales, even after adjusting for the personal security concerns that likely generated the March spikes in gun sales. This pattern suggests that part of the concern regarding personal security that led to firearm sales increases in June was related to the racial tensions. We do not observe the same relationship between increases in firearm sales and racial animus at the state level in any of the previous spikes in sales.

It is unclear who was buying those firearms. Concerns regarding personal security related to racial tensions could lead individuals of any race, including Blacks or whites, to buy firearms. In general, however, whites are far more likely to own firearms than Blacks (49 percent versus 32 percent).

GUN SALES AND UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES

There are more guns than people in the United States (400 million are in circulation for a population of 330 million).  In just the first six months of 2020, approximately 19 million firearms have been sold, representing more than one firearm for every 20 Americans.

The presence of so many guns complicates discussions of public policy. Injustices committed by the police, and systemic racism in society more broadly need to end. It is concerning that the necessary national discussion regarding racial injustice is leading to even more firearms in the hands of Americans.

This concern is particularly relevant in the context of discussions regarding defunding the police. When public goods are not provided by the government, or are provided on a scale that some consider to be inadequate, individuals turn to private provision of these services.  For example, parents often turn to private schools when they perceive public education to be inadequate."

Three million more guns: The Spring 2020 spike in firearm sales

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Nice cut and paste from Bookings. Any personal thoughts on the matter? I've outlined mine multiple times. Do you wish to continue or evade?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Can't wait till I get my mailbox money from Uncle Sam for more ammo. .416 rounds are expensive.

I hope you enjoy your shooting. No one is trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

But if you're a felon, no gun for you. If you have a history of mental illness, no gun for you.

Can we do that, at least? It's just common sense.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

But if you're a felon, no gun for you. If you have a history of mental illness, no gun for you.

It's not accurate to say "no one is trying to repeal the 2nd amendment". Reality is...  no one is going to be able to repeal the 2nd amendment.

My state(s) does that already.  Keep in mind... Rural areas have a completely different view of firearms. In fact,  the first two rounds in my everyday carry gun has snake shot.... easy to guess why. 

My AR is for Coyotes mostly and for plinking. My Barret was a prize in a shooting competition and is too expensive to plink with, but I can hit the target consistantly at 1000 yds.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

It's not accurate to say "no one is trying to repeal the 2nd amendment". Reality is...  no one is going to be able to repeal the 2nd amendment.

My state(s) does that already.  Keep in mind... Rural areas have a completely different view of firearms. In fact,  the first two rounds in my everyday carry gun has snake shot.... easy to guess why. 

My AR is for Coyotes mostly and for plinking. My Barret was a prize in a shooting competition and is too expensive to plink with, but I can hit the target consistantly at 1000 yds.

Both are true. At this point there is no chance of repealing the second amendment and no one is trying.

Any state that has gun shows allows the sale of firearms without a background check. Gun stores check, but private licensed dealers can sell without these checks. I just want the background checks for everyone.

Felon? No gun for you. History of mental illness, no gun for you.

The Founding Fathers put the right to bear arms in the Constitution and they were twice as smart as I am (at least). So I'm not saying you need to be a perfect citizen to own guns. I'm saying let's be reasonable.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Both are true. At this point there is no chance of repealing the second amendment and no one is trying.

Any state that has gun shows allows the sale of firearms without a background check. Gun stores check, but private licensed dealers can sell without these checks. I just want the background checks for everyone.

Felon? No gun for you. History of mental illness, no gun for you.

The Founding Fathers put the right to bear arms in the Constitution and they were twice as smart as I am (at least). So I'm not saying you need to be a perfect citizen to own guns. I'm saying let's be reasonable.

If you currently have a Federal Firearms License (ability to sell guns), you must conduct a background check for each gun sale if at the store, or home, or gun show.  If not a FFL holder, you can sell at gun shows without any check.  I agree with ALL persons getting the background check BUT it must be easy for anyone to do (access to NICS database) and easy to challenge!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

It's also false to say "no wants to repeal the second amendment".

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Cite your source.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Cite your source.

Can you admit that when you say "no one wants to repeal the second amendment"... you're wrong? I could post 10 more links if you like. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment.html

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/456454-repeal-the-second-amendment-to-save-americans-from-g...

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Cite your source.

@LouLit01 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Cite your source.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

what gun sales site your source...what source, fake news links from copy and paste syndrome losers!????

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I understand people buying something to protect themselves. It's part and parcel of the human condition. Some folks want rubber gloves and masks and some want bullets. It's a natural response like buying plywood when a hurricane approaches ... however buying toilet paper is like buying duct tape for your windows, makes no sense.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
I understand people buying something to protect themselves. It's part and parcel of the human condition. Some folks want rubber gloves and masks and some want bullets. Yet, I'm not aware of a single example of where a bullet slowed a virus....
It's a natural response like buying plywood when a hurricane approaches ... however buying toilet paper is like buying duct tape for your windows,  Nope.  Toilet paper doesn't expire....can stack nicely in a pantry. makes no sense.  People aren't told to but toilet paper.  People were wrongly instructed by the Bush Administration to buy duct tape after 911.  THAT, made no sense at all.....practicing the usual "fear-mongering" on the Right....
It's nice to see Virginia pass common-sense legislation after the recent mass-murder in Virginia Beach.  It's a pleasure to actually witness a common-sense government.  When is the GOP going to actually do something about gun violence in America.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So you see it's false and incorrect to say, no one wants to repeal the second amendment. This is how deflection works... "there's nothing to see over there and no one is trying to take your rights away". The dems and especially the loony far left squadlodytes, are great at slippery slope politics. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png