Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Gun Deaths

Message 1 of 7

I had a moment recently, when I realized that Seniors have failed the generations that followed us.    After I spoke with College kids today, they told me they want to be the voice on their campus and not be "invaded" by outside help.    I gave them my card and told them, if they wanted back up help, give me a call - but they need and want to be the leaders for their generation - and all are of voting age.     

Want single issue voters - NRA just saw the face of thousands of them, in every State in the US today.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

hoping... the "adults" in charge finally get it and fix it; we started trying over 50 years ago (actually before AR was commonly known publicly in the US) but we weren't successful.

I admit failure and back the new movement and pray, as mom of 2 1-Oct Survivors; this madness must end, please...

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

This AM on CNN, Michael Smerconish reported on the nationwide gun control march and then continued with an advocate from both sides of the issue. Both presented 'data' about deaths due to guns in nations WITH gun regulations vs. those WITHOUT, such as the United States.  Their data did not agree on ANYTHING.........ANYTHING!  That cannot possibly be! 

There must be some common grounding in fact about quantifiable things like numbers.  Somebody is 'cooking the books!"  Wouldn't be unusual...happens all the time.  Mark Twain used the phrase "There are lies, damned lies and statistics", a lot.  He attributed it to Disraeli, probably in error. Wikipedia has a piece on it that will help explain how it works and what the intent behind it is.  Disingenuous Crap is what it is.....no matter who does it.  

This time the topic and the stakes are far too high to indulge anyone so reprenensible as to be dishonest about fact.  

Smerconsih did not venture his opinion over the air although it seemed clear to me he had one. I know I did.  IF the anti-gun control advocate did not lie in fact, he lied by intent, relying on plausible deniability to get himself 'off the hook'.  The 'new normal' applied to our children's lives.  Shame! 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@WebWiseWomanwrote:

One day, someone with access to the US Capitol, where the US Senate and US Congress hold session, will open fire with an AR, and total count will be over 1-Oct; probably then the legistation will be changed, maybe... depending on how many of each "party" are lost...

#VegasStrong

Let's hope our nation legislatively matures fast enough, so that day never comes to fruition.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

One day, someone with access to the US Capitol, where the US Senate and US Congress hold session, will open fire with an AR, and total count will be over 1-Oct; probably then the legistation will be changed, maybe... depending on how many of each "party" are lost...

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong

#NeverTrump

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Excellent point, afisher. I've never understood the logic behind thinking that not preventing everything is reason to not do anything. That would be like if doctors stated that since they can't prevent every heart death, that they just won't treat heart cases at all.

The AMA has a lobby too, but we never hear them peddle stuff that stupid.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Gun Deaths

Message 7 of 7

It is interesting, if one listens to the GOP / NRA talking point:   It boils down to this:  if something can't be solved, a 100% solution, then gun deaths can continue to climb unabaited.     

Well, of course that is a nonsense argument, because it is demanding a status quo of recent NRA lobbied denial of action.    

And then the Boston Globe not known as a bastion of liberalism, used their front pages to counter that idea.    The State of MA has a set of laws that regulate guns.   They have a death rate of 3.5 / 100,000 people.    By their calculations if every state adopted their State laws, the death rate from guns would decrease by 27,000 nationally.   

So, IMO, when people use the straw argument of "only if a gun death rate is reduced to Zero" should it be considered.   Ask that legislator how many constituents do they represent and then would that MOC be willing to tell the number of deaths of their constituents that could die of gun violence, that they were unimportant and the deaths were okay because of a Gun Lobby pays them.

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/opinion/graphics/2018/03/seven-steps/?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors