Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

In Celebration of Womans Month

Here's What Trump Did

Washington (CNN)

Jessikka Aro, a Finnish investigative journalist with a history of breaking stories on Russian propaganda efforts, had been slated to receive a prestigious award in Washington along with several other women selected by the State Department for their courage in the face of great risks overseas.

Suddenly and without warning, the honor to appear at the International Women of Courage awards with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and first lady Melania Trump was rescinded -- with no explanation from the department.

After a Foreign Policy report suggested that the State Department may have retaliated against her because of her criticism of President Donald Trump on social media, State Department deputy spokesperson Robert Palladino asserted it was a miscommunication and that she had been "incorrectly notified" of her award. He called it a "regrettable error," saying Aro actually "had not" been a finalist.

But internal communications reviewed by CNN show that the State Department and US embassy officials in Finland had been in talks with Aro for several months, extensively communicating with her about the award, her travel documents, her itinerary in Washington and her bio, which had been approved by eight State Department officials.

Then, two weeks after an official asked her to provide a list of her social media accounts, the honor was abruptly rescinded and the invite to attend the event was canceled.

"That's the last step for us, then Washington will have everything they need," said a Helsinki embassy official in a February 8 email to Aro requesting "all your social media handles."

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/us/equal-rights-amendment-illinois-states-trnd/index.html

Article from CNN.com -May 31,2018 - "Only one more state needs to pass Equal Rights Amendment to finally get it ratified. Here are the 13 that haven't."

Soooo, has this finally been done?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I agree. Nationally, not much. But we are, around here. The DC area. I see a lot on Facebook. Like police departments recognizing certain female police officers who have risen through the ranks or otherwise contributed to their community.  

I’m attending a seminar this evening on African literature and feminist themes. There will be a couple of writers there who are part of the Nigerian diaspora, who have written extensively on the female experience in both Nigeria and the US.

I also just went to a fabulous exhibit at the American History a museum on Women’s Invisible, Unpaid Labor.   That is open through 2020, so for anyone visiting DC, I highly recommend it.   

So, I guess it’s more accurate to say it’s there, but you have to dig a bit to find it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Guess What Month It Is?

Message 5 of 5

It's Womans History Month - Who Would Know? Has the Whitehouse or the Main Stream Media Celebrated it in any way?

If they have I missed it

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors