Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 11

The first week of this horror, I tried everything to buy toilet paper, with no success. Finally I was able to purchase some online for an exorbitant amount of money, and a delivery day 14 days from date of purchase. Ok, I purchased it. (Fear of no TP does strange things to our psyche.)

I received the 10 rolls a day or so early, and happily opened the packaging to discover that the rolls had approximately 1/2 as much paper per roll as normal brands. On further investigation I found that the paper was made in China and shipped from China! I never removed them from their inner packaging, returned them to the original outer packaging, placed that in a large plastic bag, taped it securely closed and informed the seller that I wanted an immediate refund. (I received that several days ago.)

I laugh about it as I share this but it was not funny at the time.

Sir Granny Tracy
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

I have always liked curbside pick-up.  Let someone else do the shopping and bring it out to me.  But, since the pandemic, while some stores (PetSmart, Best Buy, Big Lots) have just initialized this option, I found most grocery stores have suspended curbside pick-up to free up employees to keep up with other operations.  That being said, I finally had to go in my first grocery store at 0-dark-00 this morning to take advantage of senior hour.  It was a Giant that offers scan-and-go (scan your items and bag them as you shop, and pay at end).  Hoping they still offered scanners, I took my own bags in, although I had resolved to temporarily hang them up (even though Giant still allows them).  Alas, the scanners were gone, but I was not surprised. 

Not too many people in the store and I found what I needed (TP not on list), but noticed shelves were sparse and paper products were non-existent.  Went through self-checkout, used Apple Pay (the less I touch, the better), and outta there.

As I was headed to my truck, some lady came out with a armload of groceries and dropped a bag.  My first reaction was to jump in and pick it up for her, but I pulled myself up at the last minute.  She was able to get it and thanked me anyway.  Surreal times we are living in.  You want to help, but you can't.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11
I guess people are having the ship* scared out of them.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

I go to Wal-Mart on a daily basis. No luck except for Kleenex.

While walking the dog, I passed a convenient store which had it's front doors wide open. Just for the heck of it, I called out to the the woman standing behind the counter "Do you have any toilet paper?" Much to my surprise she said yes and that they had just put some on the shelf. I tied the dog outside, went in and bought a couple of rolls (2 limit - single rolls only). It was an unknown brand with less than half the number of sheets as Scott Tissue.

I'll bet paper towel and toilet paper companies are working overtime right now.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

@SIMPLEGAL wrote:

I am a person who is very conscious of the health and welfare of others and so from now on I will wear gloves for the duration of the pandemic until they are no longer necessary.    Thank you.

Last week I grocery shopped at two separate stores, on two different days of the week during their Sr. shopping hours.  Both times, I was the only person in the store wearing a mask and gloves.  I hope and believe that is about to change in that ALL will soon be required to protect others and themselves.

I live on the North Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.  My county has 7 cases (that we know of).  I think people have been lulled into, it isn't happening here.  Testing is still only available for specific individuals and not the general public unless symptomatic.

“Anybody that wants a test [for the coronavirus] can get a test.” 

— President Donald Trump, in remarks to reporters on March 6.

Rather than believing he is that ignorant of "the situation on the ground", I'm going with yet one more addition carelessly tossed into that bag of lies he drags around, for his ego's convenience.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

We live in Central Florida and thanks to hoarders and panic shoppers have been left without paper products for WEEKS!  Fortunately we are usually well stocked and Walmart is gradually getting shipments which quickly disappear.  There is a sherriff on guard to make sure customers take only one package.  The poor workers have been subjected to screaming rants from customers blaming them for not having products on the shelves.  Today I was in the produce section and a woman said that I was touching things.  She said I should use the plastic bags.  I mentioned that I would consider her suggestion and proceeded to sort thru the zucchini without using plastic.  She made a remark about my behavior and I asked her if she was the germ police.  She said someone needed to watch out and I told her she should just worry about herself.   I heard today Walmart will provide gloves and masks for their workers.  I am a person who is very conscious of the health and welfare of others and so from now on I will wear gloves for the duration of the pandemic until they are no longer necessary.

@gordyfl wrote:

The local supermarket opens its doors to 'senior citizens only' at 7 am - 8 am on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So, this morning I went to there hoping to buy paper towels and toilet paper. (I'm running low). After walking the dog, I arrived at the supermarket at 7:30.
The parking lot was FULL. Inside the store were seniors - packed with seniors. It reminded me of Christmas shopping on Black Friday.
The lines to check-out were long. I counted 15 shopping carts on one line. It was perfect conditions for spreading the Coronavirus. And they're all seniors!
After shopping there, I stopped by another supermarket down the street. The parking lot was nearly empty, but so were their shelves.
Oh well, in the meantime I'll keep stocking up on those fancy dinner napkins.

corona groceries.jpg

corona vodka.jpg

corona gas.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

@jimc91 wrote:

We live in a rural part of NW Florida about 20 miles from a Walmart Super Center.  Living out in the country we are use to shopping for groceries once or twice a month for the foods we don't grow.  The Walmart we shop at offers online grocery shopping with curb side pickup.  We used the service for the first time last week and it was really pretty efficient.  

We checked in on the iPhone app and they brought the groceries out and loaded them for us.  The only thing different for us was the quantity they allow you to order.  They limit each item to one or two each, closer to a one week supply so we will have to go more often but in a pinch I would say it's a viable solution.

When we arrived back home DW (retired nurse) had a large table setup on the patio with clean towels and a large bottle of alcohol.  She took each item out of the bags and I threw the bags in the trash, then she cleaned every items packaging with the alcohol soaked hand towels and then I took them into the kitchen.    

The fresh produce was soaked and hand washed in a white vinegar and water solution before she put it in the fridge.  Next she sanitized all the door handles, knobs, fridge door, and put all our clothes into the washing machine and left the shoes out on the patio.  What a pain in the arse...  I guess this is the new routine for the immediate future.  I had much rather spend more time in my wood shop or metal fab shop getting my hands dirty on stuff that won't kill me...  Oh well, this too shall pass... But when?

After seeing pictures of the senior lines we decided to try the WM pickup. Had pretty much the same experience. Our order was ready when we arrived (!). We got everything that we ordered except TP. We didn't order any perishables so we are just leaving everything in the trunk of the car for a 3 days. Hopefully all of the bugs will be dead buy then. So now back to the video games and the AARP and Fools forums.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

We live in a rural part of NW Florida about 20 miles from a Walmart Super Center.  Living out in the country we are use to shopping for groceries once or twice a month for the foods we don't grow.  The Walmart we shop at offers online grocery shopping with curb side pickup.  We used the service for the first time last week and it was really pretty efficient.  

We checked in on the iPhone app and they brought the groceries out and loaded them for us.  The only thing different for us was the quantity they allow you to order.  They limit each item to one or two each, closer to a one week supply so we will have to go more often but in a pinch I would say it's a viable solution.

When we arrived back home DW (retired nurse) had a large table setup on the patio with clean towels and a large bottle of alcohol.  She took each item out of the bags and I threw the bags in the trash, then she cleaned every items packaging with the alcohol soaked hand towels and then I took them into the kitchen.    

The fresh produce was soaked and hand washed in a white vinegar and water solution before she put it in the fridge.  Next she sanitized all the door handles, knobs, fridge door, and put all our clothes into the washing machine and left the shoes out on the patio.  What a pain in the arse...  I guess this is the new routine for the immediate future.  I had much rather spend more time in my wood shop or metal fab shop getting my hands dirty on stuff that won't kill me...  Oh well, this too shall pass... But when?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

We had that a couple of weeks ago when Hogan first started implementing social distancing requirements.   But for the past week or so, the grocery stores have been pretty empty.  As is the TP aisle.  There was no meat other than chicken feet and some "plant based protein" that was trying to fool people.  

There's meat back in stores, in shapes I've never seen, like rolled ground beef.  What is that?  

No hand soap, no dishwashing liquid, no laundry detergent, nothing.  

No brand name pain killers and other drugs.  No thermometers.   People have wiped the shelves.  Infant formula is now under lock and key and rationed.  

Crazy.  I'm lucky, I've got a farm delivery service that keeps me well stocked, but even they are going crazy trying to keep up with orders. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

I tried the same thing last week and found the parking spaces all filled as well as a line to get in the door.  I left and came back two hours later where the shelves were partially empty but the crowds were gone.  I just came back from shopping today (not senior hours) and not too bad!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors