Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Reply
Frequent Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
148
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

148 Views
Message 1 of 11

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Loulitwrote:
@Centristsin2010wrote:
@Loulitwrote:
@Centristsin2010wrote:
@Loulitwrote:

 

@Centristsin2010wrote:
@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing?  Did you read until your face turned red and your blood began to boil and miss "the stock market will remain positive"?  Your posts are usually more intelligent and thoughtful.  Maybe just a bad morning.....

 

Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.  Yep!  Which is reflected in "the stock market".  Ya see?  You answered your own question.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.  Oh, I make it a point to stop at EVERY Kool Aide stand I see run by children and overpay handsomely to encourage their efforts.  I'm a sucker for cute kids trying to earn spending money.  And you?

 

Your apology is accepted.



Well, I thought about apologizing, but that would make us both be wrong. About what?

 

Yes, I understand this leads to bull markets. (Unless Trump's tariff plan fails) I did not mention the stock market because unlike you, who must be a heavy investor reaping huge profits, a VERY false and inaccurate conclusion.  It must be the flu....  It's stunning how many here are leaping to their own self-serving conclusions to make a point.  And here I thought by this time in our lives we're expected to be much smarter than that.  My bad....  Maybe I have too high of expectations for us seniors.

 

I'm not in the stock market. Neither are the overwhelming majority of  people I know.  So?  I made a factual point.  The stock market typically prefers stable wages.  Why?  In large part because it means more corporate profits.  And for some bizarre reason, you didn't like reading that fact and decided to attack me.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt....and complimented you....you chose to attack.  Can't say I "get it".

 

So they're getting creamed by low wages Yep, wage growth is an issue.  Don't worry though.....here comes another fact.....careful.......if job growth continues as it is, history has taught us wages will grow pretty significantly.   and low returns on CDs, .....again, be patient, interest rates are rising.....  WARNING......some will call me a Conservative soon......LOL.

 

and by pitiful interest rates on the investments they were counting on to finance their retirement.  I understand....but it doesn't change a darn thing I posted.  We are STILL recovering from the financial crisis perpetuated by the GOP.  It's taken awhile to dig ourselves out of it.....Obama did a great job, and so far things are still looking good, but many economists are warning us and many Conservatives are ignoring those warnings.  We'll see.

 

So while I'm overjoyed that you're getting rich, my friends and I are paid low wages, must deal with low returns on investments, and realize no gain from bull markets. You seem to foster a bit of hate for those in your situation.  I'm far from "rich", so you can stop with the self-serving faux "joy".

 

Funny, I thought when the stock market booms it would be good for every one. Is it "funny" that you don't understand economics.  It's good for those "in the market".  Shouldn't wages rises (sic) when corporations make record profits?  Nope.  Corporate profits have little to do with wages.  Why would they?  They go to expanding the company if you believe the Conservatives or they go to share-holders if you believe Liberals.  Actually they go to both.  Not according to you I see. So why did you think otherwise?

 

The Question Isnt Why Wage Growth Is So Low, It's Why Is It So High?

 

Thanks for the lesson in economics, Hopefully lesson two will be more fruitful.  I suggest you do some homework vs having a knee-jerk reaction because someone posted a fact.  Seems like the mature, intelligent thing to do....but maybe I'm wrong.  but you're a lousy capitalist -- never consider myself a "good one".....as I've been told, I'm "too generous with my time and money".  That's a fair criticism.....though I embrace it.  It gives me much pleasure.  you didn't charge me for it.  I never do charge for my advice.  I stopped doing that when I left the mental health field.  But if you'd like to make a donation, please over pay or tip the young Kool-Aide providers in your neighborhood.  It'll warm your heart and make children happy.

 

Accepting an apology when no apology is tendered is rude.....so is intellectual dishonesty given you claimed you "thought about it".  I understand you prefer to attack someone who pointed out a fact that you don't like....so?  Show some of that class you suggest another is void of having.

 

Have a good day!  Smiley Wink


The part about you being a heavy investor was said in jest. Of course I have no idea about your finances. Of course....so why expect someone to know know it was said in jest.  Posters here often assume many things.....just as you did suggesting I was supporting anything other than pointing out a fact that you chose to attack.

 

And I did think about apologizing. (I read your post. Then I read it again. I'm a big fan of learning new things because I know just enough to know that I know next to nothing.) LOL....I get THAT.  We sail together, my friend, in the same boat.  I'm just making sure I know what I don't know....and that sure keeps me busy.  So I did take your request for an apology seriously. No intellectual dishonesty involved.  Fair enough.

 

Corporate profits have been at record highs for 5+ years and as you claim, you and your peers haven't seen wages grow. 

 

My friend, you just made my point. Corporate profits are at record levels, the stock market has been setting record highs for years and nothing has been gained by most Americans. Yep....no argument there.....

 

"More than $8 of every $10 of wealth created last year went to the richest 1%.

That's according to a new report from Oxfam International, which estimates that the bottom 50% of the world's population saw no increase in wealth.  I agree.

 

Oxfam says the trend shows that the global economy is skewed in favor of the rich, rewarding wealth instead of work."  Agreed!

 
Powered by SmartAsset.com

 

"The billionaire boom is not a sign of a thriving economy but a symptom of a failing economic system," said Winnie Byanyima, executive director of Oxfam International.

The head of the advocacy group argued that the people who "make our clothes, assemble our phones and grow our food" are being exploited in order to enrich corporations and the super wealthy.

The study, released ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos, was produced using data from Credit Suisse's(CS) Global 

 

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/21/news/economy/davos-oxfam-inequality-wealth/index.html

 

If you have a problem with those facts, you must be a better mathematician than everyone at Credit Suisse.  I don't, and I agree.

 

You have yet to point out any facts I don't like. Really?  You seemed not to like my pointing out this morning that the stock market would respond positively to today's news.  Why was that?  Many posters here invest in the market.   You responded with "Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low?"  Is was your misinterpretation AND assumption that started this discussion.  Your opinions, interpretations and conclusions are wrong. Unless you indicate what opinions, interpretations and conclusions "are wrong", I'll just assume you posted that to get a dig in. That's what I don't like.  I'm laughing now......even a lol.  If you disagree with something, feel free to mention it....hopefully without the assumptions and misinterpretations pointed out in your first post here.  Your smart enough to know anyone can post "Your opinions, interpretations and conclusions are wrong."  But without pointing out what they are, it's just empty and worthless noise.

 

The stock market, after setting many record highs, took a steep downturn and hit a low of  6,443.27 on march 6, 2009. Since then, the market has returned to setting record highs over and over and over again. 

 

http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

 

I checked the Dow Jones Industrial Average 1/9/2018 a 2 pm. 25,263.57. So the market today is about 18,000 points higher than in 2009.

 

What exactly does the market have to do before wages rise? You've attempted to connect the two....they aren't related.  So why is that?  Your question indicates a misunderstanding of the cause and effect of market fluctuations.   How much money will the 1% glom before the rest of us see any?  Again, there is no connection between the two.  What is it that you think will change? Because I' don't see the middle-class gaining anything while this administration is in power. I understand.  The question is what causes wage growth?  The answer......competition!  When employees start leaving for more money, employers increase wages to retain current staff and attract new employees.  So as long as there is continued job growth like was announced today, wages will continue to grow.....as we deport more illegal immigrants, wages will increase as their employers will need to replace them with a smaller pool of workers looking for work.

 

Here's where I think your thinking has gone astray.....

 

1.  You seem to think wages are tied to profit....rarely the case in larger companies.  In smaller companies where most workers sit near the boss/owner, when the company does well, the wealth is spread.  It's more of a "we're all in this together approach" and builds loyalty from within.  I prefer these type of companies for many long-winded reasons....but I'll "spare you"

 

2.  Larger companies usually take profits and give it to share-holders first and depending on forecasts, invest the rest in company growth, not wage increases.  Sure some give bonus' and may boost wages a little, but you won't see significant wage growth until the pool of workers is even lower than it is today.

 

I don't know where you live but in some places, wage growth is occurring.  Here in Minnesota, the unemployment rate is 3.3% and so we are seeing wage growth, which has been slow, increasing at the highest rate since 2004.  Nationally, wage growth was better in January because in many states, the increased the minimum wage to $12.00 to $15.00.  Now THAT's wage growth.....If the  economy remains as trump predicts, wages will continue to grow and at a faster rate.  I'm not convinced.  I think the debt issues may become too much for the economy to handle with inflation and higher interest rates (though it will help your CD's).  I think corporate taxes were reduced far to much (some forget Obama and many Dems wanted to cut the  corporate rates as well).

 

And stay away from those little girls selling Kool Aid,  It's not the little girls that concern me, it's their mothers.  There are a lot of lonely people out there....

 

One of us needs a lesson in economics because, it seems to me, you're hoping for trickle-down voodoo economics to work.  That's crazy talk....I've been an outspoken critic of trickle-down economics on this forum for years....btw.....there is NOTHING I posted that has anything to do with trickle-down economics.  There are on-line economic course if your interested.  Smiley Wink. Lotsa luck with that.

 

Have a nice day and a pleasant tomorrow.  Thanks.

 

(And don't get so darned touchy  when I take a good natured poke at you. I think real "good-natured pokes" are clearly indicated as such with something like an emoticon or other keyboard indicators. Anyone can say, "I was only kidding" after the fact.  I see it all the time at the Kool-Aide stands..... Smiley Wink These are forums -- and this is what forums are like.)  Your preaching to the choir, my friend. 


 "As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day."

 

That was your statement that started this whole mess.

 

What exactly does the market have to do before wages rise? You've attempted to connect the two....they aren't related.  So why is that?  Your question indicates a misunderstanding of the cause and effect of market fluctuations.   How much money will the 1% glom before the rest of us see any?  Again, there is no connection between the two.

 

 

Let's Try this once more....

 

 "As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day."

You wrote that.

 

 

What exactly does the market have to do before wages rise?

 

You've attempted to connect the two....they aren't related.

You wrote that, too.

 

So let's see, if wages remaining low is good for the market, how can wages and the market not be.

related?

 

I did connect wages and the market, right after you connected them in a previous post.

You're trying to play both ends against the middle and that dog won't hunt (pardon the clichés).

Call me when you make up your mind.       

 

I hope there are no misguided attempts at humor in this post. Not trying to ruffle your feathers. (Oh, my, another Cliché)

 

 

 

 

Winter is Coming.
11/06
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
148
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
167
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

167 Views
Message 2 of 11

@Loulitwrote:
@Centristsin2010wrote:
@Loulitwrote:
@Centristsin2010wrote:
@Loulitwrote:

 

@Centristsin2010wrote:
@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing?  Did you read until your face turned red and your blood began to boil and miss "the stock market will remain positive"?  Your posts are usually more intelligent and thoughtful.  Maybe just a bad morning.....

 

Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.  Yep!  Which is reflected in "the stock market".  Ya see?  You answered your own question.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.  Oh, I make it a point to stop at EVERY Kool Aide stand I see run by children and overpay handsomely to encourage their efforts.  I'm a sucker for cute kids trying to earn spending money.  And you?

 

Your apology is accepted.



Well, I thought about apologizing, but that would make us both be wrong. About what?

 

Yes, I understand this leads to bull markets. (Unless Trump's tariff plan fails) I did not mention the stock market because unlike you, who must be a heavy investor reaping huge profits, a VERY false and inaccurate conclusion.  It must be the flu....  It's stunning how many here are leaping to their own self-serving conclusions to make a point.  And here I thought by this time in our lives we're expected to be much smarter than that.  My bad....  Maybe I have too high of expectations for us seniors.

 

I'm not in the stock market. Neither are the overwhelming majority of  people I know.  So?  I made a factual point.  The stock market typically prefers stable wages.  Why?  In large part because it means more corporate profits.  And for some bizarre reason, you didn't like reading that fact and decided to attack me.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt....and complimented you....you chose to attack.  Can't say I "get it".

 

So they're getting creamed by low wages Yep, wage growth is an issue.  Don't worry though.....here comes another fact.....careful.......if job growth continues as it is, history has taught us wages will grow pretty significantly.   and low returns on CDs, .....again, be patient, interest rates are rising.....  WARNING......some will call me a Conservative soon......LOL.

 

and by pitiful interest rates on the investments they were counting on to finance their retirement.  I understand....but it doesn't change a darn thing I posted.  We are STILL recovering from the financial crisis perpetuated by the GOP.  It's taken awhile to dig ourselves out of it.....Obama did a great job, and so far things are still looking good, but many economists are warning us and many Conservatives are ignoring those warnings.  We'll see.

 

So while I'm overjoyed that you're getting rich, my friends and I are paid low wages, must deal with low returns on investments, and realize no gain from bull markets. You seem to foster a bit of hate for those in your situation.  I'm far from "rich", so you can stop with the self-serving faux "joy".

 

Funny, I thought when the stock market booms it would be good for every one. Is it "funny" that you don't understand economics.  It's good for those "in the market".  Shouldn't wages rises (sic) when corporations make record profits?  Nope.  Corporate profits have little to do with wages.  Why would they?  They go to expanding the company if you believe the Conservatives or they go to share-holders if you believe Liberals.  Actually they go to both.  Not according to you I see. So why did you think otherwise?

 

The Question Isnt Why Wage Growth Is So Low, It's Why Is It So High?

 

Thanks for the lesson in economics, Hopefully lesson two will be more fruitful.  I suggest you do some homework vs having a knee-jerk reaction because someone posted a fact.  Seems like the mature, intelligent thing to do....but maybe I'm wrong.  but you're a lousy capitalist -- never consider myself a "good one".....as I've been told, I'm "too generous with my time and money".  That's a fair criticism.....though I embrace it.  It gives me much pleasure.  you didn't charge me for it.  I never do charge for my advice.  I stopped doing that when I left the mental health field.  But if you'd like to make a donation, please over pay or tip the young Kool-Aide providers in your neighborhood.  It'll warm your heart and make children happy.

 

Accepting an apology when no apology is tendered is rude.....so is intellectual dishonesty given you claimed you "thought about it".  I understand you prefer to attack someone who pointed out a fact that you don't like....so?  Show some of that class you suggest another is void of having.

 

Have a good day!  Smiley Wink


The part about you being a heavy investor was said in jest. Of course I have no idea about your finances. Of course....so why expect someone to know know it was said in jest.  Posters here often assume many things.....just as you did suggesting I was supporting anything other than pointing out a fact that you chose to attack.

 

And I did think about apologizing. (I read your post. Then I read it again. I'm a big fan of learning new things because I know just enough to know that I know next to nothing.) LOL....I get THAT.  We sail together, my friend, in the same boat.  I'm just making sure I know what I don't know....and that sure keeps me busy.  So I did take your request for an apology seriously. No intellectual dishonesty involved.  Fair enough.

 

Corporate profits have been at record highs for 5+ years and as you claim, you and your peers haven't seen wages grow. 

 

My friend, you just made my point. Corporate profits are at record levels, the stock market has been setting record highs for years and nothing has been gained by most Americans. Yep....no argument there.....

 

"More than $8 of every $10 of wealth created last year went to the richest 1%.

That's according to a new report from Oxfam International, which estimates that the bottom 50% of the world's population saw no increase in wealth.  I agree.

 

Oxfam says the trend shows that the global economy is skewed in favor of the rich, rewarding wealth instead of work."  Agreed!

 
Powered by SmartAsset.com

 

"The billionaire boom is not a sign of a thriving economy but a symptom of a failing economic system," said Winnie Byanyima, executive director of Oxfam International.

The head of the advocacy group argued that the people who "make our clothes, assemble our phones and grow our food" are being exploited in order to enrich corporations and the super wealthy.

The study, released ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos, was produced using data from Credit Suisse's(CS) Global 

 

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/21/news/economy/davos-oxfam-inequality-wealth/index.html

 

If you have a problem with those facts, you must be a better mathematician than everyone at Credit Suisse.  I don't, and I agree.

 

You have yet to point out any facts I don't like. Really?  You seemed not to like my pointing out this morning that the stock market would respond positively to today's news.  Why was that?  Many posters here invest in the market.   You responded with "Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low?"  Is was your misinterpretation AND assumption that started this discussion.  Your opinions, interpretations and conclusions are wrong. Unless you indicate what opinions, interpretations and conclusions "are wrong", I'll just assume you posted that to get a dig in. That's what I don't like.  I'm laughing now......even a lol.  If you disagree with something, feel free to mention it....hopefully without the assumptions and misinterpretations pointed out in your first post here.  Your smart enough to know anyone can post "Your opinions, interpretations and conclusions are wrong."  But without pointing out what they are, it's just empty and worthless noise.

 

The stock market, after setting many record highs, took a steep downturn and hit a low of  6,443.27 on march 6, 2009. Since then, the market has returned to setting record highs over and over and over again. 

 

http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

 

I checked the Dow Jones Industrial Average 1/9/2018 a 2 pm. 25,263.57. So the market today is about 18,000 points higher than in 2009.

 

What exactly does the market have to do before wages rise? You've attempted to connect the two....they aren't related.  So why is that?  Your question indicates a misunderstanding of the cause and effect of market fluctuations.   How much money will the 1% glom before the rest of us see any?  Again, there is no connection between the two.  What is it that you think will change? Because I' don't see the middle-class gaining anything while this administration is in power. I understand.  The question is what causes wage growth?  The answer......competition!  When employees start leaving for more money, employers increase wages to retain current staff and attract new employees.  So as long as there is continued job growth like was announced today, wages will continue to grow.....as we deport more illegal immigrants, wages will increase as their employers will need to replace them with a smaller pool of workers looking for work.

 

Here's where I think your thinking has gone astray.....

 

1.  You seem to think wages are tied to profit....rarely the case in larger companies.  In smaller companies where most workers sit near the boss/owner, when the company does well, the wealth is spread.  It's more of a "we're all in this together approach" and builds loyalty from within.  I prefer these type of companies for many long-winded reasons....but I'll "spare you"

 

2.  Larger companies usually take profits and give it to share-holders first and depending on forecasts, invest the rest in company growth, not wage increases.  Sure some give bonus' and may boost wages a little, but you won't see significant wage growth until the pool of workers is even lower than it is today.

 

I don't know where you live but in some places, wage growth is occurring.  Here in Minnesota, the unemployment rate is 3.3% and so we are seeing wage growth, which has been slow, increasing at the highest rate since 2004.  Nationally, wage growth was better in January because in many states, the increased the minimum wage to $12.00 to $15.00.  Now THAT's wage growth.....If the  economy remains as trump predicts, wages will continue to grow and at a faster rate.  I'm not convinced.  I think the debt issues may become too much for the economy to handle with inflation and higher interest rates (though it will help your CD's).  I think corporate taxes were reduced far to much (some forget Obama and many Dems wanted to cut the  corporate rates as well).

 

And stay away from those little girls selling Kool Aid,  It's not the little girls that concern me, it's their mothers.  There are a lot of lonely people out there....

 

One of us needs a lesson in economics because, it seems to me, you're hoping for trickle-down voodoo economics to work.  That's crazy talk....I've been an outspoken critic of trickle-down economics on this forum for years....btw.....there is NOTHING I posted that has anything to do with trickle-down economics.  There are on-line economic course if your interested.  Smiley Wink. Lotsa luck with that.

 

Have a nice day and a pleasant tomorrow.  Thanks.

 

(And don't get so darned touchy  when I take a good natured poke at you. I think real "good-natured pokes" are clearly indicated as such with something like an emoticon or other keyboard indicators. Anyone can say, "I was only kidding" after the fact.  I see it all the time at the Kool-Aide stands..... Smiley Wink These are forums -- and this is what forums are like.)  Your preaching to the choir, my friend. 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
167
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
188
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

188 Views
Message 3 of 11

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Loulitwrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Loulitwrote:

 

@Centristsin2010wrote:
@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing?  Did you read until your face turned red and your blood began to boil and miss "the stock market will remain positive"?  Your posts are usually more intelligent and thoughtful.  Maybe just a bad morning.....

 

Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.  Yep!  Which is reflected in "the stock market".  Ya see?  You answered your own question.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.  Oh, I make it a point to stop at EVERY Kool Aide stand I see run by children and overpay handsomely to encourage their efforts.  I'm a sucker for cute kids trying to earn spending money.  And you?

 

Your apology is accepted.



Well, I thought about apologizing, but that would make us both be wrong. About what?

 

Yes, I understand this leads to bull markets. (Unless Trump's tariff plan fails) I did not mention the stock market because unlike you, who must be a heavy investor reaping huge profits, a VERY false and inaccurate conclusion.  It must be the flu....  It's stunning how many here are leaping to their own self-serving conclusions to make a point.  And here I thought by this time in our lives we're expected to be much smarter than that.  My bad....  Maybe I have too high of expections for us seniors.

 

I'm not in the stock market. Neither are the overwhelming majority of  people I know.  So?  I made a factual point.  The stock market typically prefers stable wages.  Why?  In large part because it means more corporate profits.  And for some bizarre reason, you didn't like reading that fact and decided to attack me.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt....and complimented you....you chose to attack.  Can't say I "get it".

 

So they're getting creamed by low wages Yep, wage growth is an issue.  Don't worry though.....here comes another fact.....careful.......if job growth continues as it is, history has taught us wages will grow pretty significantly.   and low returns on CDs, .....again, be patient, interest rates are rising.....  WARNING......some will call me a Conservative soon......LOL.

 

and by pitiful interest rates on the investments they were counting on to finance their retirement.  I understand....but it doesn't change a darn thing I posted.  We are STILL recovering from the financial crisis perpetuated by the GOP.  It's taken awhile to dig ourselves out of it.....Obama did a great job, and so far things are still looking good, but many economists are warning us and many Conservatives are ignoring those warnings.  We'll see.

 

So while I'm overjoyed that you're getting rich, my friends and I are paid low wages, must deal with low returns on investments, and realize no gain from bull markets. You seem to foster a bit of hate for those in your situation.  I'm far from "rich", so you can stop with the self-serving faux "joy".

 

Funny, I thought when the stock market booms it would be good for every one. Is it "funny" that you don't understand economics.  It's good for those "in the market".  Shouldn't wages rises (sic) when corporations make record profits?  Nope.  Corporate profits have little to do with wages.  Why would they?  They go to expanding the company if you believe the Conservatives or they go to share-holders if you believe Liberals.  Actually they go to both.  Not according to you I see. So why did you think otherwise?

 

The Question Isnt Why Wage Growth Is So Low, It's Why Is It So High?

 

Thanks for the lesson in economics, Hopefully lesson two will be more fruitful.  I suggest you do some homework vs having a knee-jerk reaction because someone posted a fact.  Seems like the mature, intelligent thing to do....but maybe I'm wrong.  but you're a lousy capitalist -- never consider myself a "good one".....as I've been told, I'm "too generous with my time and money".  That's a fair criticism.....though I embrace it.  It gives me much pleasure.  you didn't charge me for it.  I never do charge for my advice.  I stopped doing that when I left the mental health field.  But if you'd like to make a donation, please over pay or tip the young Kool-Aide providers in your neighborhood.  It'll warm your heart and make children happy.

 

Accepting an apology when no apology is tendered is rude.....so is intellectual dishonesty given you claimed you "thought about it".  I understand you prefer to attack someone who pointed out a fact that you don't like....so?  Show some of that class you suggest another is void of having.

 

Have a good day!  Smiley Wink


The part about you being a heavy investor was said in jest. Of course I have no idea about your finances.

 

And I did think about apologizing. (I read your post. Then I read it again. I'm a big fan of learning new things because I know just enough to know that I know next to nothing.) So I did take your request for an apology seriously. No intellectual dishonesty involved.

 

 

Corporate profits have been at record highs for 5+ years and as you claim, you and your peers haven't seen wages grow. 

 

My friend, you just made my point. Corporate profits are at record levels, the stock market has been setting record highs for years and nothing has been gained by most Americans. 

 

"More than $8 of every $10 of wealth created last year went to the richest 1%.

That's according to a new report from Oxfam International, which estimates that the bottom 50% of the world's population saw no increase in wealth.

 

Oxfam says the trend shows that the global economy is skewed in favor of the rich, rewarding wealth instead of work."

 
Powered by SmartAsset.com

 

"The billionaire boom is not a sign of a thriving economy but a symptom of a failing economic system," said Winnie Byanyima, executive director of Oxfam International.

The head of the advocacy group argued that the people who "make our clothes, assemble our phones and grow our food" are being exploited in order to enrich corporations and the super wealthy.

The study, released ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos, was produced using data from Credit Suisse's(CS) Global 

 

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/21/news/economy/davos-oxfam-inequality-wealth/index.html

 

If you have a problem with those facts, you must be a better mathematician than everyone at Credit Suisse.

 

You have yet to point out any facts I don't like. Your opinions, interpretations and conclusions are wrong. That's what I don't like.

 

The stock market, after setting many record highs, took a steep downturn and hit a low of  6,443.27 on march 6, 2009. Since then, the market has returned to setting record highs over and over and over again. 

 

http://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

 

I checked the Dow Jones Industrial Average 1/9/2018 a 2 pm. 25,263.57. So the market today is about 18,000 points higher than in 2009.

 

What exactly does the market have to do before wages rise? How much money will the 1% glom before the rest of us see any? What is it that you think will change? Because I' don't see the middle-class gaining anything while this administration is in power. 

 

And stay away from those little girls selling Kool Aid,

 

One of us needs a lesson in economics because, it seems to me, you're hoping for trickle-down voodoo economics to work. Lotsa luck with that.

 

Have a nice day and a pleasant tomorrow.

 

(And don't get so darned touchy  when I take a good natured poke at you. These are forums -- and this is what forums are like.)

 

 

Winter is Coming.
11/06
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
188
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
206
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

206 Views
Message 4 of 11

@Loulitwrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Loulitwrote:

 

@Centristsin2010wrote:
@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing?  Did you read until your face turned red and your blood began to boil and miss "the stock market will remain positive"?  Your posts are usually more intelligent and thoughtful.  Maybe just a bad morning.....

 

Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.  Yep!  Which is reflected in "the stock market".  Ya see?  You answered your own question.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.  Oh, I make it a point to stop at EVERY Kool Aide stand I see run by children and overpay handsomely to encourage their efforts.  I'm a sucker for cute kids trying to earn spending money.  And you?

 

Your apology is accepted.



Well, I thought about apologizing, but that would make us both be wrong. About what?

 

Yes, I understand this leads to bull markets. (Unless Trump's tariff plan fails) I did not mention the stock market because unlike you, who must be a heavy investor reaping huge profits, a VERY false and inaccurate conclusion.  It must be the flu....  It's stunning how many here are leaping to their own self-serving conclusions to make a point.  And here I thought by this time in our lives we're expected to be much smarter than that.  My bad....  Maybe I have too high of expections for us seniors.

 

I'm not in the stock market. Neither are the overwhelming majority of  people I know.  So?  I made a factual point.  The stock market typically prefers stable wages.  Why?  In large part because it means more corporate profits.  And for some bizarre reason, you didn't like reading that fact and decided to attack me.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt....and complimented you....you chose to attack.  Can't say I "get it".

 

So they're getting creamed by low wages Yep, wage growth is an issue.  Don't worry though.....here comes another fact.....careful.......if job growth continues as it is, history has taught us wages will grow pretty significantly.   and low returns on CDs, .....again, be patient, interest rates are rising.....  WARNING......some will call me a Conservative soon......LOL.

 

and by pitiful interest rates on the investments they were counting on to finance their retirement.  I understand....but it doesn't change a darn thing I posted.  We are STILL recovering from the financial crisis perpetuated by the GOP.  It's taken awhile to dig ourselves out of it.....Obama did a great job, and so far things are still looking good, but many economists are warning us and many Conservatives are ignoring those warnings.  We'll see.

 

So while I'm overjoyed that you're getting rich, my friends and I are paid low wages, must deal with low returns on investments, and realize no gain from bull markets. You seem to foster a bit of hate for those in your situation.  I'm far from "rich", so you can stop with the self-serving faux "joy".

 

Funny, I thought when the stock market booms it would be good for every one. Is it "funny" that you don't understand economics.  It's good for those "in the market".  Shouldn't wages rises (sic) when corporations make record profits?  Nope.  Corporate profits have little to do with wages.  Why would they?  They go to expanding the company if you believe the Conservatives or they go to share-holders if you believe Liberals.  Actually they go to both.  Not according to you I see.  Corporate profits have been at record highs for 5+ years and as you claim, you and your peers haven't seen wages grow.  So why did you think otherwise?

 

The Question Isnt Why Wage Growth Is So Low, It's Why Is It So High?

 

Thanks for the lesson in economics, Hopefully lesson two will be more fruitful.  I suggest you do some homework vs having a knee-jerk reaction because someone posted a fact.  Seems like the mature, intelligent thing to do....but maybe I'm wrong.  but you're a lousy capitalist -- never consider myself a "good one".....as I've been told, I'm "too generous with my time and money".  That's a fair criticism.....though I embrace it.  It gives me much pleasure.  you didn't charge me for it.  I never do charge for my advice.  I stopped doing that when I left the mental health field.  But if you'd like to make a donation, please over pay or tip the young Kool-Aide providers in your neighborhood.  It'll warm your heart and make children happy.

 

Accepting an apology when no apology is tendered is rude.....so is intellectual dishonesty given you claimed you "thought about it".  I understand you prefer to attack someone who pointed out a fact that you don't like....so?  Show some of that class you suggest another is void of having.

 

Have a good day!  Smiley Wink


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
206
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
213
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

213 Views
Message 5 of 11

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Loulitwrote:

 

@Centristsin2010wrote:
@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing?  Did you read until your face turned red and your blood began to boil and miss "the stock market will remain positive"?  Your posts are usually more intelligent and thoughtful.  Maybe just a bad morning.....

 

Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.  Yep!  Which is reflected in "the stock market".  Ya see?  You answered your own question.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.  Oh, I make it a point to stop at EVERY Kool Aide stand I see run by children and overpay handsomely to encourage their efforts.  I'm a sucker for cute kids trying to earn spending money.  And you?

 

Your apology is accepted.



Well, I thought about apologizing, but that would make us both be wrong. Yes, I understand this leads to bull markets. (Unless Trump's tariff plan fails) I did not mention the stock market because unlike you, who must be a heavy investor reaping huge profits, I'm not in the stock market. Neither are the overwhelming majority of  people I know. So they're getting creamed by low wages and low returns on CDs, and by pitiful interest rates on the investments they were counting on to finance their retirement.

 

So while I'm overjoyed that you're getting rich, my friends and I are paid low wages, must deal with low returns on investments, and realize no gain from bull markets. Funny, I thought when the stock market booms it would be good for every one. Shouldn't wages rises when corporations make record profits? Not according to you I see.

 

Thanks for the lesson in economics, but you're a lousy capitalist -- you didn't charge me for it.

 

 

Accepting an apology when no apology is tendered is rude, self-congratulatory, and generally shows an absence of class.

 

 

Winter is Coming.
11/06
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
213
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
225
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

225 Views
Message 6 of 11

@Loulitwrote:

 

@Centristsin2010wrote:
@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing?  Did you read until your face turned red and your blood began to boil and miss "the stock market will remain positive"?  Your posts are usually more intelligent and thoughtful.  Maybe just a bad morning.....

 

Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.  Yep!  Which is reflected in "the stock market".  Ya see?  You answered your own question.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.  Oh, I make it a point to stop at EVERY Kool Aide stand I see run by children and overpay handsomely to encourage their efforts.  I'm a sucker for cute kids trying to earn spending money.  And you?

 

Your apology is accepted.



"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
225
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
228
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

228 Views
Message 7 of 11

 


@Centristsin2010wrote:

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


Did you really just say it's a good thing that wages remain low? Exactly for whom is this a good thing? Oh, oh, wait, I get it now. It's a good thing for multi-national corporations and the 1%.

 

Here's another one who drank the Kool Aid.

 

 

Winter is Coming.
11/06
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
228
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
232
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

232 Views
Message 8 of 11

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

Hey Centrist, thanks for adding that new information about wages. But I'm glad we agree this is great news for our country. 

 

I'm LOL because if it was actually bad news on the job front, Trump would convince his minions that was fake news. The only time members of the cult accept accurate news is when it reflects positively upon their hero in the White House. I'm sorry, but I have to LOL again.


Agreed!  You're such a hateful Liberal......LOL!!!


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
232
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
237
Views

Great News in the Job Market

237 Views
Message 9 of 11

Hey Centrist, thanks for adding that new information about wages. But I'm glad we agree this is great news for our country. 

 

I'm LOL because if it was actually bad news on the job front, Trump would convince his minions that was fake news. The only time members of the cult accept accurate news is when it reflects positively upon their hero in the White House. I'm sorry, but I have to LOL again.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
237
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
260
Views

Re: Great News in the Job Market

260 Views
Message 10 of 11

@CriticalThinkingwrote:

I don't have all the numbers yet, but the 8:30 AM March 9th report indictates job growth is vibrant and exceeding expectations.

 

313,000 new jobs created

 

4.1% unemployment rate


I agree CeeTee!  An excellent jobs report.  Wage growth was less than expected at 2.6%, but it was the highest jobs growth since June 2016.  As long as wages remain low, the stock market will remain positive; should be a good day.

 

Here's the BLS summary:  Employment Situation Summary   Smiley Wink


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
260
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.


multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors