Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Great Britain To Help MA With Offshore Wind Power

Message 1 of 2

@MsStretch wrote:

States are moving forward with their own plans for renewable and cleaner energy.  The coastal waters off New Bedford, MA are some of the windiest in the US, so there is a movement to harness that energy.  But since the US is not very proficient in building wind turbines yet, Great Britiain, who is, has offered their help.  Offshore wind power currently supplies near 10% of the electricity in GB.  It has been estimated that there is enough offshore wind in New England to power the entire east coast of the US.

Of course there is concern to the impact it will have on the centuries-old commercial fishing industry and marine life, but the warming seas and acidification to the oceans is already negatively impacting life on and under the sea.  The aesthetics of giant turbines in the ocean?  Well, we already put up with overhead power lines and cell towers, not to mention those skyscrapers blotting out the sun, so I'm sure we will adjust. 

Source: BBK: US looking to harness the ocean winds with British help

Renewable clean energy is the future, whether people like it, deny it, or not.

Well I'm sure the Prince of Whales will be invaluable to the Capes efforts 

Although the last time anyone tried to harness the valuable winds off the Cape - the Koch Brothers or at least one of them defeated the effort 

I cant imagine with Trump in the Whitehouse anything with Wind or Solar stands much of a chance 

It makes too much sense for Trump not to oppose it 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Great Britain To Help MA With Offshore Wind Power

Message 2 of 2

States are moving forward with their own plans for renewable and cleaner energy.  The coastal waters off New Bedford, MA are some of the windiest in the US, so there is a movement to harness that energy.  But since the US is not very proficient in building wind turbines yet, Great Britiain, who is, has offered their help.  Offshore wind power currently supplies near 10% of the electricity in GB.  It has been estimated that there is enough offshore wind in New England to power the entire east coast of the US.

Of course there is concern to the impact it will have on the centuries-old commercial fishing industry and marine life, but the warming seas and acidification to the oceans is already negatively impacting life on and under the sea.  The aesthetics of giant turbines in the ocean?  Well, we already put up with overhead power lines and cell towers, not to mention those skyscrapers blotting out the sun, so I'm sure we will adjust. 

Source: BBK: US looking to harness the ocean winds with British help

Renewable clean energy is the future, whether people like it, deny it, or not.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies