Honored Social Butterfly

Governor Hogan Takes the Lead on COVID Response

The first part of this article is critical.  I have not been a fan of Hogan's for most of his time in office.  But he has truly stepped up to the plate in a way Trump could only dream of.  Hogan has super-smart department heads and other subject matter experts.  And guess what?  He listens to them.  Novel idea, I know.  But it's true that most of Maryland's public safety and public health infrastructure were mobilizing in the early weeks of January because they knew this would hit.  

Why did Trump hem and haw for months?   This upcoming Sunday is when he thought everyone should be packing the pews at Easter.  And now there will be "a lot of death."  

Hogan may not be right on everything about Maryland's response.  But he's been thinking analytically.  He's been listening to the right folks.  And he does truly care about the residents of Maryland.  This is the type of leadership we should have been seeing from the top.  

"Mr. Hogan put his health department on alert in early January when he saw the virus’s deadly crawl through China. On Monday, he issued a stay-at-home order for residents, a few weeks after declaring a state of emergency when the first three cases emerged in Maryland last month.

He is also the head of the National Governors Association, charged with representing governors’ needs at the White House, where officials wish he would find it in his heart to say a few flattering words about Mr. Trump now and then. Instead he has bluntly demanded more aid from Washington, including more test kits and supplies and help shoring up state budgets.

'We’re still not satisfied' with the federal response to states’ needs, Mr. Hogan said this week.

After Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland announced a statewide 'stay-at-home' order on Monday, Virginia and Washington, D.C., followed his lead.

Mr. Hogan has also found himself the de facto leader of the response in the Washington, D.C., metro area, where the disease has begun its exponential march. The governor of Virginia and the mayor of Washington — a city where the death rate is well above the national average — instantly followed his order this week, grounding around 15 million residents...

Mr. Hogan is one of the few elected Republicans in the country who have publicly countered Mr. Trump’s early claims about the state of the virus, and more crucially about the amount of tests and ventilators available to states.

'I don’t think I’ve ever crossed the line and been rude or tried to attack or point fingers or place blame. But I have been willing to stand up when other people haven’t,' he said. He added, 'Certainly some of my Republican colleagues probably might think I go too far. Some of the Democratic colleagues might not think I go far enough. But I’m not trying to place blame."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/us/politics/maryland-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR30EuzxHtRnBPNBPk...

Esteemed Social Butterfly

I'm in the outer limits of northern VA (95 corridor, outside the Beltway) and I remember hearing about Gov. Hogan taking steps back in January (I believe he had already budgeted $10 million specifically for a coronavirus response?), when COVID-19 was just a faint blip on most Americans' radar and certainly not on the president's.  The night MD reported its first cases, Hogan had a press conference to say "This is what we have been preparing for."   At that time, he said schools had not been closed and Marylanders could still go to work, but BE PREPARED for that to change.  No nonsense.  No false hope.  Telling it like it is and might probably be.  I was impressed.

I watched Gov. Northram issue the mandatory stay-at-home order on Monday and indeed, he said he'd been keeping in contact with Hogan.  Mayor Bowser followed soon after.  

I firmly believe, by the grace of God, if not for the foresight and continued doggedness of Gov. Hogan, followed by the actions of Gov. Northram and Mayor Bowser, that the DC/MD/VA metro area, a major hub of international travel and transient people, would become another NY or New Orleans or Detroit.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

I'm in the outer limits of northern VA (95 corridor, outside the Beltway) and I remember hearing about Gov. Hogan taking steps back in January (I believe he had already budgeted $10 million specifically for a coronavirus response?), when COVID-19 was just a faint blip on most Americans' radar and certainly not on the president's.  The night MD reported its first cases, Hogan had a press conference to say "This is what we have been preparing for."   At that time, he said schools had not been closed and Marylanders could still go to work, but BE PREPARED for that to change.  No nonsense.  No false hope.  Telling it like it is and might probably be.  I was impressed.

I watched Gov. Northram issue the mandatory stay-at-home order on Monday and indeed, he said he'd been keeping in contact with Hogan.  Mayor Bowser followed soon after.  

I firmly believe, by the grace of God, if not for the foresight and continued doggedness of Gov. Hogan, followed by the actions of Gov. Northram and Mayor Bowser, that the DC/MD/VA metro area, a major hub of international travel and transient people, would become another NY or New Orleans or Detroit.

I hope you are right. We are a likely hotspot. But I hope the collective DMV actions mitigate the number of infections and slow the peak. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Gov Hogan's exemplary leadership certainly puts Trump to shame.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

myexper:   Gov Hogan's exemplary leadership certainly puts Trump to shame.

Most of the governors put him to shame. They have stepped up and are filling the vacuum at the top.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

myexper:   Gov Hogan's exemplary leadership certainly puts Trump to shame.

Most of the governors put him to shame. They have stepped up and are filling the vacuum at the top.

Thank goodness our governor in Kentucky took action, but then he's a Democrat so  it's not such a surprise.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png